The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

What do I need to install a 16g Without the Kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio87m1

Banned Member
May 20, 2008
Miami, Florida
So my friend just give me his old turbo Because he just got a 60trim. The turbo was use only once before he went working on his engine. I would like to know. What would i need to install a 16g on my 95 gst. He give me the J pipe. What else would i need?

You need the 1g oil feed line. You'll want to feed it from the head.

You can bend the T25/28 coolant lines to fit the 16g.
You can take a Dremel and slot the bolt holes on your 2g oil return to fit the 16g.
But you'll need a reducing coupler to attach that J-pipe to your IC piping.

i just did a 14b swap on my 2g, you dont have to bend the t2small coolant lines that much, make sure you do get the 1G return!!! you will have to do a little mod to it but it works!
what turbo are you running now? does it have all the banjo's and crush washers? if u are running a stock set up now make sure you get an npt pipe plug for your ofh

I see you have a FMIC, you may have to change up the routing a little bit as well. The 2G drain will work fine, it has a larger ID than the 1G. It's not a big deal on that turbo, but bigger is always better for the drain.

I just did this swap a month ago...

The bolt holes on the 2g return line are too close together. A few minutes with a grinder and it will fit the 1g bolt pattern. If you tape/plug the hole, you can even grind the holes bigger without removing the return line from the oil pan. This especially nice if that spot isn't leaking on your car, as many have a hard time getting a good seal there.

It's suggested that you feed your 16g from the head.

Feeding from the head is a nice set up i like it, getting it into place to feed from the head requires a bit of strength, make sure you get the 10mm banjo and the crush washers, i got mine from the dealer for like 10.00.

So i just took off my old turbo the t 28 and its super white inside. What is the ### of this.

I did mine a couple weeks ago. I got the install kit off ebay.
2g DSM Install Kit 16g 14b FMIC SS Line Jpipe J Pipe :eBay Motors (item 190322991585 end time Aug-19-09 18:39:02 PDT)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I used the stock oil drain, and filed the holes. The T-25 CHRA drain bolts are too big for the16g. I used the bolts that hold the OEM oil feed line on [ number 7 bolts, I believe]. Take off the water lines and put the front on the rear, and vice verse both going down like 2
J's. I routed my braded oil feed line to the oil filter housing. Just use alittle teflon tape on the threads for the fitting to the oil filter housing or its going to leak.
Other than that, I think just hit all the bolts with PB the night before and it should go good.
I dont know how your setup is for your intercooler, but the kit lined up with the Apexi clone FMIC great.

N

I routed my braded oil feed line to the oil filter housing. Just use alittle teflon tape on the threads for the fitting to the oil filter housing or its going to leak.

Teflon tape and cast iron oil filter housings is a dangerous combination. It becomes very easy to crack open the OFH this way.

From the head? Not the normal spot?
The head is the "normal spot" for a 16G. If you're feeding a TD05H turbo from the filter housing without a restrictor, you're running the risk of over-oiling the turbo and destroying it quickly.

Feeding a TD05H from the filter housing is only recommended for high-boost applications where additional oil pressure is required to keep the journal bearings from contacting the housing, and still shouldn't be done without a restrictor.

Check out what FP says about their filter housing oil supply kit for Evos:

"Relocating the oil supply to the oil filter housing allows the turbocharger to be fed by a more stable and consistent source. This source is much higher pressure than required by the turbocharger (can be over 150psi), so our line kit includes a inline filter that also features the appropriate size restrictor to limit the pressure at the turbo to a maximum of 70psi hot oil pressure."

The head is the "normal spot" for a 16G. If you're feeding a TD05H turbo from the filter housing without a restrictor, you're running the risk of over-oiling the turbo and destroying it quickly.

Feeding a TD05H from the filter housing is only recommended for high-boost applications where additional oil pressure is required to keep the journal bearings from contacting the housing, and still shouldn't be done without a restrictor.

Check out what FP says about their filter housing oil supply kit for Evos:

"Relocating the oil supply to the oil filter housing allows the turbocharger to be fed by a more stable and consistent source. This source is much higher pressure than required by the turbocharger (can be over 150psi), so our line kit includes a inline filter that also features the appropriate size restrictor to limit the pressure at the turbo to a maximum of 70psi hot oil pressure."

That seems kind of contradictory to the link I posted from RoadRace, It seems every one
has there own opinions about where they should feed from. For a 16g what would you consider "high boost", 18+ PSI ?
thanks,
N

dont forget the j pipes
<center><object width="1" height="1"><br> <param name="movie" value="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf"><br> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><br> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" width="1" height="1"><br> </object></center>

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back