The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What do I need to change the timing belt on my 4g64 and 4g63 Eclipse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypeONegative

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2017
Utica, New_York
Gonna change them both before spring, gonna do the spyder first, first I've done it on my 420a about 8 times between this one and one I had 4 years back, I can do a 420a timing belt with water pump in an hour or less, last time it took me 45 minutes took longest getting the three side mount screws out! What a pain!! Anyways I here you need a special tool for the 4g63, am I gonna need this for the 4g64 to? How hard is it gonna be and lastly what brands should I go with? On the turbo I'm most concerned since it puts down so much power, thanks for any advice/suggestions in advance

I went with the gates economy kit from extreme psi comes with gates timing belt, balance shaft belt, idler and tensioner pulley's, an oem hydraulic tensioner and a gates water pump for $220 can't beat it. Also would suggest replacing all the seal's under the cover specifically the cam shaft seal's. As for the special tool's they would definitely be nice to have but I have never used them. As for difficulty it really depends on your experience take your time and triple check all your mark's.

The 4G64 timing belt and water pump is an easy swap. When I replaced mine I used a gates kit which came with both belts, the idler pulley, both tensioner pulleys, and a new water pump. It was my first timing belt job and I took my good old time doing it, but it was extremely easy and I didn't buy the specialty tools for the job.

From what I understand, the 4G63 job is the same setup, with an extra cam gear to route in. Everything else is identical.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back