The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odd. Why wouldnt you just use the common and predictable rate of a compression spring? They cost the same, can be clipped for size, have a fairly linear compression rate, and you don't run the risk of deforming it when pulling it apart..

Because instructions. The designer / builder runs boost controllers built this way on some pretty fancy machinery...who am I to question his design? And it's just a point of resistance...not really rocket science how it works. The spring has to have enough resistance to keep the ball bearing sealed but enough movement to let pressurized air to slip past at a given amount of boost. I doubt that having stretched the spring out to make it a compression spring will have fatigued it enough to be an issue. But, I could be wrong, in which case the boost at which I set this controller to will slowly fall over time.

The only issue I found with this design (bearing in mind that I haven't even installed it yet) is that the connections are sooo the wrong size. I'll mess with that when installation time comes.

No worries. Good luck, hope it turns out. I was just curious why the designer would choose to take that route when a more common method is readily available and proven reliable. Nothing wrong with daring to be different; it's how new inventions and methodologies are developed.
Just seemed like more work overall for an identically functioning device with no apparent operational advantage.. having to stretch the spring appropriately, cutting off the hooks, etc.
Hey, if it doesn't work, all you have to do is swap it for a compression spring and no harm done. Just watch your boost gauge LOL

lets see..
DEI wrapped downpipe flange to flex and installed
finished dodge garage modding the bpv
close to completing catch can revision

Pulled the head completely off, and found what was expected. A popped head gasket, although it was not near as bad as I thought. No rust found,clean valves and piston for 90k ( I suspect that the head was actually done sometime in the past ), going to clean up the sufaces and replace other gaskets. Will post some pics later on my build thread.

in no order..
new water pump, exhaust gaskets, helicoiled two stripped mani studs, finished catch can modifications (double in, double out), fired it up for the first time this year, reset tune, blt, fixed leaks at lower injector seals, swapped solenoid on old starter with one from brand new ac delco unit because it wouldnt engage the ring gear more than twice, drove around, did a 22psi pull.
man i missed boost.

should have done a blt on the bpv before i modded it. must have a blown diaphragm because it cant even hold 1psi before leaking in either configuration.
grabbed another, holds up to 18 before leaking. crushed it, will mod it later

Last edited:
Washed/buffed/waxed the fading clear coat of the black roof on the Talon, and sanded/buffed/polished the headlights to a new OEM look.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Switching to a mechanical fuel pump and changing the drivers side mount

Decided to move locations for working on the eclipse. then went to town on trying to salvage my transmission. Tried replacing the shift cable busings with brass ones and I forgot to buy a pair of snap ring pliers... Atleast I got the old Bushings out. They were in 3 pieces before I even removed them LOL.

Swapped from a 68hta back to an evoIII 16g, found out that the new 68hta compressor housings are clocked just SLIGHTLY different then the MHI setups, so now my FMIC kit that held 22psi before will now hold about 12 before blowing a coupler off where the j pipe meets that L pipe going to the coupler. time to get it extended an inch or two.

very interested in doing back to back logs between the two turbos as going backwards i gained a TON of spool back but didn't lose much in the top end (I am on stock block, cams and7k redline at 22psi)

Swapped from a 68hta back to an evoIII 16g, found out that the new 68hta compressor housings are clocked just SLIGHTLY different then the MHI setups, so now my FMIC kit that held 22psi before will now hold about 12 before blowing a coupler off where the j pipe meets that L pipe going to the coupler. time to get it extended an inch or two.

very interested in doing back to back logs between the two turbos as going backwards i gained a TON of spool back but didn't lose much in the top end (I am on stock block, cams and7k redline at 22psi)

You're probably not going to see much top end loss from the 16G at 22psi. If you were in the 30+psi range though, your top end loss would be much more significant compared to what you'd see on the 68HTA.

Post up some results/logs in the 68HTA thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/fp-68hta-dyno-results.374097/page-9#post-153586240

You're probably not going to see much top end loss from the 16G at 22psi. If you were in the 30+psi range though, your top end loss would be much more significant compared to what you'd see on the 68HTA.

Post up some results/logs in the 68HTA thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/fp-68hta-dyno-results.374097/page-9#post-153586240

This is very true, I'm still only running conservative boost due to my stock block/headgasket.. Once I get the headgasket/ARP studs in this weekend (I hope) I'll be able to run my intended 26-28psi safely, But I will post some logs when I get this L pipe issue sorted out at the lower boost level.

Installed a a rebuilt altenator on a virgin 91 Talon TSI I have sitting here. Now I can drive it. Been a while.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back