The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well my plan for torquing the head took its own path. I figured it would too because the FSM is for a torque to yield bolt but I followed the steps of the FSM (ARP instructions appear to read to do so and others on forum have also done so) and upon the first 90 degree turn I switched to a torque wrench set to 80 ft-lbs because I was going to come up on it and miss it with a breaker bar, I could just feel it. And sure enough on the second iteration of the 90 degree turn each stud clicked at 80 ft-lbs at a quarter turn in. ARP says to reach 80 ft-lbs in a three step sequence but I think I goofed it. Thoughts?

Also the instructions on the back of the cereal box don't mention to put the washers in the head prior to mounting it or you won't clear the springs haha. Road of tough lessons learned I guess

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well my plan for torquing the head took its own path. I figured it would too because the FSM is for a torque to yield bolt but I followed the steps of the FSM (ARP instructions appear to read to do so and others on forum have also done so) and upon the first 90 degree turn I switched to a torque wrench set to 80 ft-lbs because I was going to come up on it and miss it with a breaker bar, I could just feel it. And sure enough on the second iteration of the 90 degree turn each stud clicked at 80 ft-lbs at a quarter turn in. ARP says to reach 80 ft-lbs in a three step sequence but I think I goofed it. Thoughts?

Also the instructions on the back of the cereal box don't mention to put the washers in the head prior to mounting it or you won't clear the springs haha. Road of tough lessons learned I guess

What head gasket are you using? I'd back it off in increments and bring it up to 90 in 3 steps. You should be just fine.

D'oh! I did the same. Only 3-4 needed removed.

What head gasket are you using? I'd back it off in increments and bring it up to 90 in 3 steps. You should be just fine.

D'oh! I did the same. Only 3-4 needed removed.
I'm using the composite which is why I'm apprehensive about backing them off. I don't anything bad would result from doing so. My overly patricular-ness is saying back it off and do it per the instructions but there is a voice in my head saying chill out and leave well enough alone

See I’m like you, I’d be so paranoid after all these years that I would mess something up, I’d be redoing it all even if it meant getting a new gasket, LOL.

Hey I’ve driven off in my dsm with the strangest sound I couldn’t place, turned back and went home to be safe and then it hit me..the LUG NUTS were lose LOL:ohdamn: AND I bent 2 intake valves when torquing the head down on my current motor because pistons 1 and 4 were at top dead center so yeah I’ve got that shirt too LOL

Hey I’ve driven off in my dsm with the strangest sound I couldn’t place, turned back and went home to be safe and then it hit me..the LUG NUTS were lose LOL:ohdamn: AND I bent 2 intake valves when torquing the head down on my current motor because pistons 1 and 4 were at top dead center so yeah I’ve got that shirt too LOL
damn!

I idle tuned today. Whatever I have in my tank for ethanol made me tune my FIC 2150s down to 1550cc globals. But hey whatever works...

Just check your tunes if you use e85 in winter.

Pulled timing, added fuel.....still to lean but I drove mine down the road and back for a log on gasoline ⛽:thumb:

14.7 but I honestly haven't spent much time at all in her. Enough to get her to go down the road and back and yanked or pushed the sliders (both) just to try and get her to act "better". Just not enuf time for all the projects.
Grandpa got all the grandkids toys out today so they could come out and have fun!

14.7 but I honestly haven't spent much time at all in her. Enough to get her to go down the road and back and yanked or pushed the sliders (both) just to try and get her to act "better". Just not enuf time for all the projects.
Grandpa got all the grandkids toys out today so they could come out and have fun!

.25 airflow and combinedft in check within +/-5? Have to get that and then we can tune some cruise

Are you 'For Imprint Certain????" ROFL
It'll never have the airflow per Rev at factory specs but certainly can be within 5% of LTFT & STFTs tuning tolerances. I sit in the car and dial that part in in every car I've put together. Thanks Mr S!!!! :thumb:
With the good weather and life, I just haven't had "car" time :)

Are you sure?
Are you 'For Imprint Certain????" ROFL
It'll never have the airflow per Rev at factory specs but certainly can be within 5% of LTFT & STFTs tuning tolerances. I sit in the car and dial that part in in every car I've put together. Thanks Mr S!!!! :thumb:
With the good weather and life, I just haven't had "car" time :)
I forgot you have big boy cams LOL

I'm using the composite which is why I'm apprehensive about backing them off. I don't anything bad would result from doing so. My overly patricular-ness is saying back it off and do it per the instructions but there is a voice in my head saying chill out and leave well enough alone
Nah, dude, you're fine. Back em off, no problem. If you were to lift/shift the head off, then that would be a problem.

Send it!!!

Nah, dude, you're fine. Back em off, no problem. If you were to lift/shift the head off, then that would be a problem.

Send it!!!
I'm still considering it haha. I just don't like how un-evenly the torque/clamping load was distributed with the sequence I did. See I like the idea of backing them off and starting from 10 ft-lbs and going up to 80 ft-lbs on each nut just to ensure the load is distributed evenly and consistently in small increments. With something like the cylinder head, I want it seated on as best as possible so ill probably do this today before I hit it off with the timing belt

I'm still considering it haha. I just don't like how un-evenly the torque/clamping load was distributed with the sequence I did. See I like the idea of backing them off and starting from 10 ft-lbs and going up to 80 ft-lbs on each nut just to ensure the load is distributed evenly and consistently in small increments. With something like the cylinder head, I want it seated on as best as possible so ill probably do this today before I hit it off with the timing belt
Yeah, man, you'll be just fine. I ended up having to do the same thing on mine with a composite gasket as well. Dozens of 20+psi pulls to 7k and she just wants more! Send it!

Took the boys on a cruise to continue to break the motor in.

Laptop decided to update so watched my coolant get super hot. Fans never kicked on but luckily I can jump them on so going to replace fan switch and thermostat. They are about 9 years old anyway

Funniest thing is I had put dye in the coolant to make sure I dont push a gasket(I didnt) but now my bay glows in the dark and looks like a rave 🚨🚦💡🚨. Marty got a kick out of that comment

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back