The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got the beeyotch idling on its own, and got it to rev without dying or holding the pedal down forever. :hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

Now that it'll idle by itself without input and actually rev w/ input, I can finish wiring the gauges and get it tuned properly. Goal for my vacation week is to get it idling and regulating temperature all on its own. From there I can address the clutch issues or whatever else is stopping me from actually driving it. But man...this feels like a huge goal achieved.

Edit: I ordered a new TPS and CAS pigtail from OHM Racing. Funny story here, if you search for AMV Films Texas Streets where this car was featured, the CAS connector pops off mid-race and they have to put it back on. This same connector has remained unfixed all these like 12-15 years later. Until now. :p Just thought that was funny. So hopefully this fixes the weird ass TPS issue it's having.

Last edited:
Split thrust? Nice!
it's a 97 model so i don't know if this was the year when they start to build the split thrust ones but, will find out some time this week when i start to taking apart everything

Say wha???!!! Congrats on that find...
thanks man! i'm gonna enjoy this rebuild for real

spent the last few days heat wrapping my downpipe from turboside to mesh part, mounted fans direct to the radiator, putting the new vented engine hood on and installing pins and latches for the hood, put heat blanket on the underside of my hood (one i had seemed a bit too thin for me so i got a thicker blanket coming in, put in a new thermostat. all so i could drive it to work today.

noticed a little rough idle and the car stuttering and backfiring around 1.5k to 3k rpm unless i put my foot in it or barely tap the gas on the way to work so I'm babying it since its my only driveable vehicle until my next day off and then chasing down whatever issue is going on (likely a tuning issue for fuel so that'll be fun to attempt to figure out)

so today, not so much anything, last few days, a lot of something, second half of the week, chasing down a fuel issue (and fixing a tiny oil leak off my oil return line)

Sealed up the coolant system and looped the lines I needed to loop. Also fixed a wire in the engine bay, and made a ghetto ass coolant overflow bottle until my universal overflow tank can come in. Gonna go to Wally world and pick up a few things, and then wire up my gauges.

Goal is to get it up to operating temp today and maybe even break the bearings in. Would at least like it to start and be leak free.

Edit: oh and found an intake leak after the MAF. Fab guy loosened the intake when he was fabbing the idiotic LICP, and never tightened it back up. I’m sure that wasn’t helping my idle situation at all.

Last edited:
Finally getting some work done on MY MOTOR, not other people's. :thumb:
MAYBE rods/pistons tomorrow, I'll see how the day goes. :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Finally getting some work done on MY MOTOR, not other people's. :thumb:
MAYBE rods/pistons tomorrow, I'll see how the day goes. :)

Woot! Excited for you Marty.

Also, think I found the problem with my TPS.

Problem or nah? :p (sarcasm in case anyone can't tell)

Also: only just now realized I only have ECMLink V3 Lite. Lol. Ricky made an honest mistake and is rectifying it fo' free for me, so that's awesome. It explains why I couldn't find certain settings that I KNEW were supposed to be there. Lol. All in all it was a good day. She starts, she idles, she comes up to temperature with no leaks, explosions, or catastrophic failures. That's all I asked of her.

Oh: and I found the squeaking. My clear cam cover is being "massaged" aggressively by the stock cam bolts and the top-most cam gear adjustment bolt. It seems when I "fixed" the mount holes for the cover, I put them too far back, so it's now rubbing. Lol oops. Ah well. Just gonna throw an OEM one on there that I know won't interfere. Means more painting too, so yay!

Last edited:
well i decided to wake up early today to taking apart everything and seems like we have the winner here...is this the split thrust engine?
Looks like it to me. I have one on a stand in the shop. Good score!

And to think how long it would have taken if you were really trying to find it?? Good job!

And to think how long it would have taken if you were really trying to find it?? Good job!

That’s the truth! I mean, ecmlink kept telling me there was a fault with the #2 injector. I was guessing just old/stuck injector but man was that a nice surprise. It was completely hidden inside the oem sheath though, I didn’t find it until I cut the sheath away to solder the new clip in.

Alright, shoot me. I know this is janky, but I couldn’t resist starting it with all this fixed even without a TPS. Man does it run amazing. Clear crisp idle, no stutter or hesitation on throttle input/super responsive, and it’s way louder too. I’m amazed this thing ran at all. How exciting.

On halloween on the way home from work i hit it really quickly and heard a loud bang. I thought it might have been a mechanical failure. After getting off my exit i pulled over and started inspecting. The motor sounded fine the lower pipe looked a little pushed out. I inspect the under the car and found out a blew the intercooler end tank out LOL. Drove it home took off the bumper and intercooler went back to the shop and replaced a section of the end tank.

On halloween on the way home from work i hit it really quickly and heard a loud bang. I thought it might have been a mechanical failure. After getting off my exit i pulled over and started inspecting. The motor sounded fine the lower pipe looked a little pushed out. I inspect the under the car and found out a blew the intercooler end tank out LOL. Drove it home took off the bumper and intercooler went back to the shop and replaced a section of the end tank.

Jesus Christ. LOL How much boost were you running? All of it?

Jesus Christ. LOL How much boost were you running? All of it?
Well when i looked at the log it was in the 48 LOL. That was a mistake on my end since when i installed the turbo and ran my hoses from the EBC to the wastegate i had them swapped around. Thankfully the fuel system in the car is more than this turbo can make and only thing that came from my mistake is a popped end tank. Lesson learned don't rush reinstalling hoses LOL. It's back down to a baby boost of 29lbs

Did you put a resistor delete plug in where the low z injector resistor pack is or were they both hi z?

Same thing happened to me before 🤣 When I was playing to reach 50 psi at first time, in the first day, a intercooler coupler got torn in the middle. Next day after replacing the coupler with a new one, the intercooler tank got blown.LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back