The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G What did I get myself into!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jipina956

Probationary Member
Jun 23, 2022
Los Fresnos, Texas
Recently purchased a 98 gs-t without testing anything. Towed the vehicle to my house and now she sits in the driveway. Where should start or what should be my first step. Any advice is much appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Start here... https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsm-maintenance-guide.476550/ and run through the list, you will find literally everything you need for basic mtc and upkeep here and on the site.

Biggest thing I can say right off the start is pull the top timing cover off and look at the timing belt then VERIFY proper timing before trying to turn it over, you bend some vales first start and you are going to be pissed.

Welcome to the community and don't forget to fill out a profile on the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the verifying timing is in fact timed correctly. Then check belts, fluids, filters, and boost/vacuum leaks. From there you can move onto compression/leak down test to judge the overall health of the engine.

Do you have any idea what's wrong with the car?
I have absolutely no idea what’s wrong with it. What I do know is the owner removed the clutch or something like that. Yesterday, I removed the battery and was gunna get a new one just half rotate the ignition to see if gauges work. What is the timing belt?

Okay lets start this way.
What is your mechanical skill?
Have you attempted to start the car?
Do you have any history on the car?
Is the car complete? No missing parts etc.
You have a long road ahead of you, more so if you do not have the skill to diagnose and repair what is wrong. We are happy to help but this is not a car for the unskilled unless you have a fat wallet.

What is the timing belt?
I applaud you for trying to save a DSM but keep in mind these aren't the easiest cars to maintain, much less bring back from the grave.

On a side note, that looks like it could be a 6 bolt swap since it has a 1g CAS. Which could also be a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Not that it can't be done. When I bought my first (of two) 14 years ago, I never before changed a tire. I might have known at the time what a timing belt was but I was still green in a lot of other ways.
You just have to be committed to the journey. It's going to be rough now that replacement parts are harder to find. Just keep it in mind that you now own a source of parts for many of us, and we're like wandering zombies looking for brains now... :p

The best thing you can do is read. Steve's got the info for you there.

I know I should be committed, but in a different way.

Okay lets start this way.
What is your mechanical skill?
Have you attempted to start the car?
Do you have any history on the car?
Is the car complete? No missing parts etc.
You have a long road ahead of you, more so if you do not have the skill to diagnose and repair what is wrong. We are happy to help but this is not a car for the unskilled unless you have a fat wallet.

My mechanically skill level is .. um… what’s a number below “zero” 😂. I have not attempted to start the car but purchased a battery today and will install in the morning. My wallet is just for show at this point. Unless my bitcoin investment goes back up.

Not that it can't be done. When I bought my first (of two) 14 years ago, I never before changed a tire. I might have known at the time what a timing belt was but I was still green in a lot of other ways.
You just have to be committed to the journey. It's going to be rough now that replacement parts are harder to find. Just keep it in mind that you now own a source of parts for many of us, and we're like wandering zombies looking for brains now... :p

The best thing you can do is read. Steve's got the info for you there.

I know I should be committed, but in a different way.
Thanks for the motivation

Probably a stupid question, but when people say parts are hard to find. Does that mean OEM parts or aftermarket parts. Also, I’m thinking of doing a complete rebuild ( of course not myself) but have it sent off to have it done. New everything!!! What are your thoughts on this game plan? what would something like that cost like 7, 8 thousand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check crank/cam timing then compression. All fuse Trigger/cam signal ignition and injector output. If all is in sync the car should start if you have fuel pressure, correct ignition timing and plug wire on correctly with good spark plugs.

Probably a stupid question, but when people say parts are hard to find. Does that mean OEM parts or aftermarket parts. Also, I’m thinking of doing a complete rebuild ( of course not myself) but have it sent off to have it done. New everything!!! What are your thoughts on this game plan? what would something like that cost like 7, 8 thousand?
It means both. Mitsubishi discontinued production of a lot of things and do not (yet?) seem interested in starting again. They have shifted their focus, as if the killing of the Evo wasnt proof enough. Many brands are going electric but these cars are, at BEST, 23 years old.

We are now in the hands of scrap yards, people selling theirs (even more hardship for us Canadians there..), and some select vendors but important stuff like transmission parts are the biggest worry. Definitely mine.

Oem parts are getting hard to find and certain cosmetic parts have long since been obsolete.

What it costs to new "everything" cannot be determined by us as we do not know what the car needs. If you're talking new motor. Transmission. Suspension. No. 7 or 8k will not be enough. I would not try to start the car as is. I would do some investigation first. Somehow I doubt you are truly as mechanically uninclined as you state unless you are just truly brave to buy a car that doesn't run let alone a dsm. Give us a better picture. You at least know right tighty lefty loosy? You can identify a spark plug from a drain plug?
Own any tools at all?

When we say to check all the timing component's timing marks, do you know what that at least entails? How about just checking the basics like the fluids, filters, belts, boost/vacuum leak test? Another good question is how uncomfortable does it make you feel once you understand exactly what these processes are.

If you can do these things and fix any of the potential problems, then you're ready to do a compression/leak down test. From there you'll know if you've stepped into a big mess or not...at least regarding the engine.

I would not try to start the car as is. I would do some investigation first.

This is excellent advice!.

Until you have inspected the condition of the timing belt connecting the two camsshafts on the top of the engine with the crankshaft at the bottom, I wouldn't try using the starter.

In fact I'm sure the belt is past it's due date and getting it replaced with all the other normal parts that get changed with it, should be the first thing on your list. It's expensive but a lot less expensive than replacing the valves if the belt is out of time now or slips trying to start the engine.

2g's die due to rust in the two front strut towers. So, before you spend a lot of money on it make sure this one isn't rotting.

This is excellent advice!.

Until you have inspected the condition of the timing belt connecting the two camsshafts on the top of the engine with the crankshaft at the bottom, I wouldn't try using the starter.

In fact I'm sure the belt is past it's due date and getting it replaced with all the other normal parts that get changed with it, should be the first thing on your list. It's expensive but a lot less expensive than replacing the valves if the belt is out of time now or slips trying to start the engine.

2g's die due to rust in the two front strut towers. So, before you spend a lot of money on it make sure this one isn't rotting.
Thanks Steve for the information. I’ve attached pictures of what I assume are the strut towers. Let me know if I’m wrong

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back