The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What clutches are you guys using 400-500whp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your clutch didn't take out a trans. You did. Puck clutches are the best thing for a DSM.

How do you figure, because of my daily driving to the hospital I work at? Did I pull out to easy at too many red lights for the lack of springs? I didnt say a puck clutch was bad at all, but I will not be using an unsprung disk. When a clutch product lets loose under normal driving conditions with the occasional spirited run with under 14000 miles and takes out a transmission I consider it a failure on the clutch part.

Thanks for all the reviews. It seems like the southbend ss Kevlar is pretty legit. I already have a southbend full ceramic disk so Im considering getting a sb pressure plate and calling it a day.

I haven't seen too many people posting what they rev out too with these clutches. I was leaning toward 4 puck to see how high of a shift I can truly get, any opinions or thoughts?

SBC SS-X TZ/B Kev/Ceramic in one car and a PTT Twin Disk in the other. Pedal is softer in the twin disk car, but engagement is harsher. Pedal is harder in the SBC car, but the engagement is softer. Both will hold over 700whp.

Yes pucks seem to handle heat way better. Not sure if your goals might be a little high for it but surprised no one else has thrown their hat into the XTD stage 4 unsprung six puck yet. Ive seen a lot of great reviews including friends I know. I have 1200 miles on it with the chromolly FW, DD duty, its perfectly managable but very very grippy and you have to be super aware. Although Im only putting about 370 whp to it I know theres people in the mid 400 range, and you cant argue with the price either.

Sorry, I've suggested them so many times, usually everyone rejects it with ACT this or SBC that.

I love them and they are the best clutch for the money PERIOD. I started slipping them at about 550whp. 127-130mph in a 3400lb car.

I kill one a year, but I goto the track every weekend and launch the balls off it every day.

I'd still have one in it if it would hold the power. I have a QM twin and hate it. I"m going to try a ACT 2600lb with a XTD disc.

Sorry, I've suggested them so many times, usually everyone rejects it with ACT this or SBC that.

I love them and they are the best clutch for the money PERIOD. I started slipping them at about 550whp. 127-130mph in a 3400lb car.

I kill one a year, but I goto the track every weekend and launch the balls off it every day.

I'd still have one in it if it would hold the power. I have a QM twin and hate it. I"m going to try a ACT 2600lb with a XTD disc.

I had my XTD trap 128 in the 1/4. HATED the launch though, would not shift for shit LOL.

But let me know how that act/xtd combo works out. . .

I had my XTD trap 128 in the 1/4. HATED the launch though, would not shift for shit LOL.

See guys this is the problem I have right here. I can find a half dozen clutches that hold the power but I have yet to have one person scream out this take a 7.5,8,9k shift all day long without grinding. Most dont shift well at high rpm from what Ive seen. When I mean shift im trying to no lift to shift in the near future and if anyone has done it at a high rpm you know if your not fast enough your going to rip up a syncro (usually 3rd).

I cant seem to find a balance of retaining hp and higher shifting on a single disk clutch. It sucks because I dont want to go twin on a daily. Price vs mileage I dont see it worth the money to spend on them. Im sure they give you any rpm shift you want but this is a daily.

^ Ill give you some info. . .

The XTD is a great clutch for only $180 (I got it for $150 by talking to them).

But it did NOT like launches, or "banging" gears. As soon as I let off that clutch it would not hold for sh!t. But from a couple wot pulls and shifting, it worked perfect. I have a pic of my clutch disk that I took out, it was from ONE track day. . . Missing a bunch of pads

Southbend with the Kevlar disk and 2200# pressure plate. Holds my 492+hp, and is a perfect (and comfortable) clutch for my daily driver. I never plan on buying anything else.

That says A LOT for the disk. Only 2200lb PP and holding that much power. damn, i may have just been converted! :D

Well thats good to know. It doesnt seem like something Im really after haha. The price is legit but Im used to spending 3-5 hundred on a clutch set so Im certainly not going for bottom of the barrel.

Im surprised I have not heard from anyone running a 4 puck disk on anything. From what I understand those dont have a very long life span either.

Thats freaking awesome thanks for the info, yes Im very happy with mine so far, gives me a lot of room to grow knowing they handle that much...

Well thats good to know. It doesnt seem like something Im really after haha. The price is legit but Im used to spending 3-5 hundred on a clutch set so Im certainly not going for bottom of the barrel.

Im surprised I have not heard from anyone running a 4 puck disk on anything. From what I understand those dont have a very long life span either.

I would think a 4 puck would just be very grabby and hard to tame on the street, but I could be wrong cause Ive never owned one in a DSM just drove one in a 500 hp 240sx and it was a joke

AFAIK 1Gs are known for shifting worse than 2Gs, and I NLTS mine at 7750 on the very tired 210k stock trans, also have a friend with a 2G same clutch, same hp and shift no issues at all...but maybe a higher RPM makes a difference

Thats freaking awesome thanks for the info, yes Im very happy with mine so far, gives me a lot of room to grow knowing they handle that much...

I would think a 4 puck would just be very grabby and hard to tame on the street, but I could be wrong cause Ive never owned one in a DSM just drove one in a 500 hp 240sx and it was a joke

These cars arent like other fwds or rwds. With a 6 puck clutch they pull out like a regular clutch. You would never even know most dsms had a puck clutch in it if you drove one. The pedal stiffness is usually the inidcator of a clutch upgrade.

See guys this is the problem I have right here. I can find a half dozen clutches that hold the power but I have yet to have one person scream out this take a 7.5,8,9k shift all day long without grinding. Most dont shift well at high rpm from what Ive seen. When I mean shift im trying to no lift to shift in the near future and if anyone has done it at a high rpm you know if your not fast enough your going to rip up a syncro (usually 3rd).

I cant seem to find a balance of retaining hp and higher shifting on a single disk clutch. It sucks because I dont want to go twin on a daily. Price vs mileage I dont see it worth the money to spend on them. Im sure they give you any rpm shift you want but this is a daily.

All my profile mods are current, but the relevant drivetrain mods are: South Bend SS/TZ clutch, stage 1.2 Jacks transmission, DiaQueen gear oil, welded center diff, and SS line in place of accumulator. Everything else is bone stock or OEM.

With my 16g on E85, I've put down mid-high 1s 60-footers weighing in at 3310. On a typical track night I would run 5-6 times hitting redline in every gear. Trap and ET's in my sig. Usual cool down time is 20-30min, but on some slow nights I've ran back to back. Never slipped once. My current setup (Holset H1E, BEP housing, E85) is hitting 20psi before 4k and keeps pulling to 8250. Very strong torque from 4-6k. It has yet to grind/lockout when bouncing off the rev limiter and has also yet to slip at any point, which is more than my tires can say. Pedal feel is as light as stock and street driving isn't difficult at all. It's grippy, but can still be slipped when needed. No noise or weird grab points, it feels very similar to a stock clutch. It's much nicer than my previous DSM which had an ACT 2600. Pedal feel is similar to stock and the street manners are very decent.

Hope that helps. :)

That says A LOT for the disk. Only 2200lb PP and holding that much power. damn, i may have just been converted! :D

Everyone keep in mind that she is FWD, and a it puts a lot less load on the clutch to launch it. One good launch and that setup would slip. I was going to run that setup, and Tim Z laughed at me when I asked about it.

^ Ill give you some info. . .

The XTD is a great clutch for only $180 (I got it for $150 by talking to them).

But it did NOT like launches, or "banging" gears. As soon as I let off that clutch it would not hold for sh!t. But from a couple wot pulls and shifting, it worked perfect. I have a pic of my clutch disk that I took out, it was from ONE track day. . . Missing a bunch of pads

I'm not sure what your doing, but mine shifted great. Even with a worn single synchro trans. They held up great for me. Putting 5-600 hp thru an 8" clutch is asking quite a bit out of it anyway.

These cars arent like other fwds or rwds. With a 6 puck clutch they pull out like a regular clutch. You would never even know most dsms had a puck clutch in it if you drove one. The pedal stiffness is usually the inidcator of a clutch upgrade.

I think youre missing what I said. I drive a 6 puck dsm everyday. The 4 puck is what I wasnt sure about... but from the way the 6 puck grabs and the way that 240 was I would never wanna put up with it on the street. Less surface means more grab

Everyone keep in mind that she is FWD, and a it puts a lot less load on the clutch to launch it. One good launch and that setup would slip. I was going to run that setup, and Tim Z laughed at me when I asked about it.

Very true

I'm not sure what your doing, but mine shifted great. Even with a worn single synchro trans. They held up great for me. Putting 5-600 hp thru an 8" clutch is asking quite a bit out of it anyway.

I do wanna mention ive done more than Just your typical clutch job. Comp clutch forged fork, ss line, extended slave pushrod, a nut welded on pedal assembly for extra adjustment. If youve gota dragging clutch itll shift like shit, which is an obvious statement, but a lot of ppl get used to it and dont realize its adjusted wrong

Here are some pics of my old XTD. . .

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Those weren't even the bad ones. One-2 pads had NO pads on them at all.

This clutch only has 3-4k miles on it, and been to the track ONCE. Never dropped the clutch, but launched it correctly. It would not grab for sh!t. If I tried to shift faster than a granny, it would not hold when I let that pedal come back up.

Personally I've never liked puck clutches, I think they are not so user friendly on the street and are hard on your tranny, but thats just my opinion. Years ago I've ran a sprung 6 puck clutch and it lasted about 5k miles before it wouldn't hold the power, I think it also was a contributing factor to few broken teeth on my tranny.

Since then I've switched to ACT 2900# pressure plate with a full face street disk. The first disk I've ran for about 10-15k miles and when I was replacing the tranny with shep stage 4 I just bought a new new disk and used the same pressure plate. The old disk had nothing wrong with it, it looked as good as a new one but I figured might as well replace it since the tranny is out. I gave my old disk to a friend and he is still running it to this day.

I got about 5k miles on this new clutch disk, right now my car makes about 470-490 torque and when I let off the clutch peddle at 8000 rpms shift that thing grabs like nobody's business. I'm sure there is better product out there but personally I've been happy with this set up for years

Personally I recommend the TMZ Southbend all day - but for shits and curiosities' sake I decided to give the XTD Stage 4 6 puck clutch setup a shot. I specifically asked for the Captured Springs version as the one they advertise are not captured as well.

I am only 55 miles into driving the car on the street, but so far I'm happy with the engagement and disengagement and it's very close to stock feeling. Feels just like a 2300# plate should. So as I reach the 500 mile mark, I'll keep it updated. Once I hit 500 miles, it's boost time.

Those weren't even the bad ones. One-2 pads had NO pads on them at all.

This clutch only has 3-4k miles on it, and been to the track ONCE. Never dropped the clutch, but launched it correctly. It would not grab for sh!t. If I tried to shift faster than a granny, it would not hold when I let that pedal come back up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you had other issues going on man... that thing is smoked and glazed. Wrong step height warped fw/pp or your standards for power are a ton higher like 700whp is normal to you LOL.

Last edited:
Was a brand new clutch setup, perfect stepped flywheel (measured by my machinest, and me). IDK if it was just a bad disk, or it did NOT like the stroker, but it just did not like to bang gears or launch. Pull on pull it held great.

Again, I am NOT dissing XTD, it is an excellent clutch for the money hands down. But it did not suite me very well on my current setup.

So I went with the SBC TZ Kevlar clutch. Well see how well it does after breakin . . .

I had my XTD stage 4 with their flywheel for 3500 miles now. Let me tell you this thing grabs like a champ, hasnt slipped once (which is very impressive). Has about 5 track days and 100s of pulls on the highway and its holding great so far (knock on wood). Im in the processes of my AWD swap and ill be getting a new one for cheap insurance.

My XTD solid 6-puck was great even with 15 passes mostly right in a row on the 1/8 mile. I had 45+ passes on it when the hub broke off the clutch (plus everyday street driving). The clutch outlasted a couple transmissions. Other clutches haven't lasted past 1 oil change.

I've now got an ACT 6-puck in with the same XTD pressure plate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back