The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What Caused Sparks from my Battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrokid

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2009
lincolnton, North_Carolina
okay guys i just bought an underdrive pulley off ebay its made by bomz, just took my car out for its first drive ive been workin on it a lot lately so i had the hood off, sparks shot off the positive side of the battery to the window and everywhere, this is what the terminal looked like after we checked it over. i also have a ebay voltage stabilizer that was connected on that terminal but it was not melted it was made by cwest:confused:

Attachments

• 0428092055a.jpg
    0428092055a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 176
i just wanted to know if the underdrive pulley or the voltage stabilizer could have caused this to happen, if not what could have caused this problem??:aha:

If I had to guess I'd say the pulley didn't have anything to do with it. It was more likely your Voltage Stabilizer. I would remove it and put some new terminals on to see what happens then.

I'm assuming it was the stabalizer,maybe sumthing hit the firewall and it shorted out and popped i had this happen when the terminal was hitting the hood. Made sure there werent any loose wires.

I'm assuming it was the stabalizer,maybe sumthing hit the firewall and it shorted out and popped i had this happen when the terminal was hitting the hood. Made sure there werent any loose wires.

That'd be my guess too. It sounds like something shorted the positive terminal of the battery to ground. I'd ditch the voltage stabilizer altogether... it's just a gimmick.

yea i think i will get rid of the voltage stabilizer i just got it to make under my hood loow a little better:thumb:

i have traced it to the wire that runs:confused: to the altornator choke fuse but the fuse did not bolw

yea i found that the problem was that the connector for the alternater choke on the positive terminal was not fully connected and caused the sparks i changed the connectors and tightened it down and just took it for out rideing around for the first time since i changed the timeig belt and the headgasket:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back