The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What car trends do you hate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
I was thinking about this today and felt like we could use a little random whine fest thread to vent what we currently(or in the past) hate about car culture. I know most hate body kits and such, I’m talking other niche things.

As a bonus, what do you like that most people hate? I’ll go first.

Hate? Starting to hate the word OEM+ because no one uses it properly. And I loathe hood/bumper exit exhausts on “street cars”.

Love that people hate? Underglow/interior RGB kits. Can’t help it, I think we all have a little ricer inside of us.

So. What about you?

II really REALLY hate window tint and I don't care how much you think the sun hates you or how much other people are staring at you (newsflash: THEY ARENT!), I just hate non-OEM tint especially on the rear window. Reason is when I'm driving behind some douchenozzle who's got 70% tint on his rear window I can't see friggin squat thru his car and this makes it harder to see what the other idiot in front is doing or when I want to overtake I can't look through his car.

Also it just makes the car look worse in my opinion. Debate me all you want but I think window tinting is simply UNSAFE for you and the others around you.

This may not constitute a trend but you see it a lot in DSMs. I hate it when people take a really beautiful street car with a lot power and slowly turn it into a tubed a race car with slicks/roll cage etc. I just wish people could just stop at a certain point and be happy with their build. And what's it all for? Look everyone I have a little time slip that's worth $0.0001 that says I drove down a road for 8-9 seconds. To each their own though.

This may not constitute a trend but you see it a lot in DSMs. I hate it when people take a really beautiful street car with a lot power and slowly turn it into a tubed a race car with slicks/roll cage etc. I just wish people could just stop at a certain point and be happy with their build. And what's it all for? Look everyone I have a little time slip that's worth $0.0001 that says I drove down a road for 8-9 seconds. To each their own though.

So much this. DSMs used to be fast with class.

Hell, whether it was feasible or not, Shep drove his 7 sec talon to the track and back. Not a perfect example of a street car, but the spirit is there.

Bring back fast with class. I just don’t have any kind of love or passion for gutted tin can race cars that can’t even drive down the pits for long. Not hating on Hondas per say, but I’m just gonna say it..these aren’t Hondas. We don’t need it to weigh 1800lbs to go fast.

Edit: while I’m at it I’m gonna piggyback the guy above me and add “people who post links to their YouTube account and beg for views” for the dsm builds. Too many damn aspiring YouTube superstars these days.

Big offroad trucks and SUVs with a lowered suspension setup, low-profile tires, dumb loud exhausts...

Expired registration or missing license plates. Just pay your ******* taxes already before everybody's rates go up.
Shit cans without mufflers waking the neighborhood at 3am.

Big offroad trucks and SUVs with a lowered suspension setup, low-profile tires, dumb loud exhausts...

Do you one better.

Carolina squatted trucks. Or any kind of improperly installed LED headlight equipped vehicles. Absolutely f**k you and everything you are about. :p

I try to stay away from the hate anymore as it’s the same energy that got blown around too heavily on Facebook and helped turn the “car scene” into what it is today. Maybe a hood dump exhaust isn’t my style, but I’m not gonna knock someone because there’s also a good chance that guy with a hood dump is going to down shift it and rail into it and put bus lengths on me laughing his ass off while his hood dump I don’t like roars off into the night. That’s not to give any of you guys a hard time by any means, just something I try to avoid these days.

However, to play along I will tell you what I dislike the most out of the “car scene” today while it’s not a trend or fad, screw crap like Street Outlaws and 1320video. Not the people creating that or on the shows or videos or what not, I just hate the vibe it’s created. Now thanks to that every “meet” you go to there’s some dingleberry 22 year old kid with a clapped out turd with a Van 5.3 and China turbo the size of Texas and him and/or his buddies are talking the thing up “fastest car here no one wants none!” and “we’re down for Mexico who’s got money!?” and “TAkE hIm To GaPpLeBeEz BrUh!!” then someone tries to arrange something in an orderly fashion like a civilized human being and it’s all good, but then magically by the end of the night “hey man, im not trying to be lame or anything but my wideband is suddenly reading real lean under wot I don’t wanna hurt it when somethings wrong you feel me?” or “my transmission is acting up, I JUST got it back from Rossler transmission last week and it’s been fine, I really wanna hit them up Monday before I go beating on it, I’m sorry I hate to be like that after I locked it in” (actual excuses I’ve gotten from these people around here). Then AFTER being the understanding adult and not expecting someone to grenade their shit and giving them the benefit of the doubt they’re right back to Facebook by Tuesday at the latest “ThAt DsM aNd FoXbOdY dIdNt WaNt AnY sAtUrDaY!!” (Again, how one example of this really went down), then after calling out their bs in front of their friends and posting screen shots after they realized the guys they called out are indeed on there, they then go to their friends “yeah that dsm made over 800 on a Mustang dyno and that Fox has a twin turbo big block Ford, those guys were bullshitting trying to play me!” (Again, really said, and that dsm actually made 450 on a dynapak and that fox definitely had a small block Ford on a single 76mm turbo but yeah sure, picking on the kid trying to play him). All while still never making a single pass at the track let alone on the street and starting the same ridiculous cycle over next Saturday.

Moral of the story, can’t stand these things because now thanks to them we have several people like the kid mentioned above who watches this crap and builds something fast (or should be on paper) and wants to be “the guy” and emulate that but looks like an idiot and a keyboard warrior when it’s all said and done. And sadly the “car scene” everywhere is littered with it. I’d rather go back to body kits and 18” Motegi mr7’s being cool than continuing to deal with that crap.

I try to stay away from the hate anymore as it’s the same energy that got blown around too heavily on Facebook and helped turn the “car scene” into what it is today. Maybe a hood dump exhaust isn’t my style, but I’m not gonna knock someone because there’s also a good chance that guy with a hood dump is going to down shift it and rail into it and put bus lengths on me laughing his ass off while his hood dump I don’t like roars off into the night. That’s not to give any of you guys a hard time by any means, just something I try to avoid these days.

However, to play along I will tell you what I dislike the most out of the “car scene” today while it’s not a trend or fad, screw crap like Street Outlaws and 1320video. Not the people creating that or on the shows or videos or what not, I just hate the vibe it’s created. Now thanks to that every “meet” you go to there’s some dingleberry 22 year old kid with a clapped out turd with a Van 5.3 and China turbo the size of Texas and him and/or his buddies are talking the thing up “fastest car here no one wants none!” and “we’re down for Mexico who’s got money!?” and “TAkE hIm To GaPpLeBeEz BrUh!!” then someone tries to arrange something in an orderly fashion like a civilized human being and it’s all good, but then magically by the end of the night “hey man, im not trying to be lame or anything but my wideband is suddenly reading real lean under wot I don’t wanna hurt it when somethings wrong you feel me?” or “my transmission is acting up, I JUST got it back from Rossler transmission last week and it’s been fine, I really wanna hit them up Monday before I go beating on it, I’m sorry I hate to be like that after I locked it in” (actual excuses I’ve gotten from these people around here). Then AFTER being the understanding adult and not expecting someone to grenade their shit and giving them the benefit of the doubt they’re right back to Facebook by Tuesday at the latest “ThAt DsM aNd FoXbOdY dIdNt WaNt AnY sAtUrDaY!!” (Again, how one example of this really went down), then after calling out their bs in front of their friends and posting screen shots after they realized the guys they called out are indeed on there, they then go to their friends “yeah that dsm made over 800 on a Mustang dyno and that Fox has a twin turbo big block Ford, those guys were bullshitting trying to play me!” (Again, really said, and that dsm actually made 450 on a dynapak and that fox definitely had a small block Ford on a single 76mm turbo but yeah sure, picking on the kid trying to play him). All while still never making a single pass at the track let alone on the street and starting the same ridiculous cycle over next Saturday.

Moral of the story, can’t stand these things because now thanks to them we have several people like the kid mentioned above who watches this crap and builds something fast (or should be on paper) and wants to be “the guy” and emulate that but looks like an idiot and a keyboard warrior when it’s all said and done. And sadly the “car scene” everywhere is littered with it. I’d rather go back to body kits and 18” Motegi mr7’s being cool than continuing to deal with that crap.

I can respect that. Definitely know what you mean.

But I 100% agree that the scene has been poisoned. I think when it went YouTube mainstream it went toxic. Or even more toxic.

To be fair, I say hate..it’s meant more tongue in cheek than anything. It’s personal preference. I’d never down someone’s build unless it was Chinese garbage and hacked together and they were arrogant. And honestly even then I’d just move on and talk to someone else. I ain’t about to d**k measure.

But “what do you hate” sounded better for a title than “what is your personal negative non-toxic opinion that still has respect and is mostly non-serious and just an outlet”. :p

I can respect that. Definitely know what you mean.

But I 100% agree that the scene has been poisoned. I think when it went YouTube mainstream it went toxic. Or even more toxic.

To be fair, I say hate..it’s meant more tongue in cheek than anything. It’s personal preference. I’d never down someone’s build unless it was Chinese garbage and hacked together and they were arrogant. And honestly even then I’d just move on and talk to someone else. I ain’t about to d**k measure.

But “what do you hate” sounded better for a title than “what is your personal negative non-toxic opinion that still has respect and is mostly non-serious and just an outlet”. :p
Oh no I definitely got where you’re coming from! I guess I should say my wording is a bit off, as in other words with how things have become I miss the hated fads and trends that were a thing in 2013 or 2006 or whatever year opposed to how it is now LOL. But you’re absolutely right, these kids see someone on the street outlaws or 1320video or their favorite YouTube person behaving that way, so in the “monkey see monkey do” society of 2022 of course they try to on emulate it but without the credentials or work up to it to have the credibility to do so, and sadly that’s all over the car scene now.

And unfortunately with that, that doesn’t discriminate from the DSM crowd either. I can remember back in 2010 if you had a low 11-high 10 second street car you had a pretty damn fast car. With that being said it wasn’t hard to have a “real fast” street dsm, and you could buy one for not a lot of money and put not a lot into it and have one of the fastest cars around IF you knew what the hell you were doing. Fast forward to 2022, that “cheap and fast” vibe of the DSM hasn’t left the car culture, a high 10-low 11 second DSM is just as obtainable, however the problem now is guys are building high 8 second and quicker “street cars” in their 1 car garage out of other platforms, and low 11/high 10 second car is hardly considered fast anymore or even all that quick for that matter. Where that comes into play, you got these guys (I know we’ve ALL seen them on social media) that don’t really know nothing of these cars, haven’t worked their way through the ranks or learned from doing, but they bought this DSM and they’re gonna slap this big ass ching chong Borg Warner clone on it and drag everyone’s ass and start listing off all these local cars they’re gonna “lay the gap to” and make outlandish claims and what not. Then they drive the car a few times, realize they’re not anywhere close to being in a league with the cars they thought, have at least a high 9 second car on paper but can barely drive it into the 12s, grenade a trans or t case into a billion pieces, then 3 days later the part out thread is started and they “found something else I wanna buy” (which lets be real is usually some ls swapped shit box some other dingus that fits the same description as them couldn’t finish). And when it all boils down to it we’re right back to the root, thought he was gonna be “the guy” but picked the wrong platform.

Basically what it comes down to in my eyes is the false mindsets and false reality’s that media and social media give people about how cars work is the biggest thing wrong with the so called “car scene” today.

Stance and stretched tires. Hate it!

I'm with Steve. I can't think of a more annoying and useless trend than this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^^ right here...

....and camo wraps on cars...

on trucks/suvs... maybe not so bad...

I don't know if this counts as the type of trend you're asking about...

What I hate is that every new car seems to be a massive SUV or CUV. It's what people in North America want and it's what sells. I know the SUV saved Porsche but I die a little bit everytime I see one of those... And the Lamborghini SUV too.

Computers should have made cars simpler for the driver: right? So why does the dashboard on, well, nearly every new car look like my laptop? Only without actual buttons. We wouldn’t need all the driver “aids” like lane departure warning and automatic breaking if drivers weren’t distracted by all the extraneous “media interface” and who knows what. I’m really hoping that just like some other fads, these will all be something we chuckle about in the future when cars are back to simple. Ok, I sound like full-on crank now. Dagummit!

Last edited:
As mentioned:
-Hood/bumper exhausts and wastegate dumps
-Stance/stretched tires
-Builds that destroy the function of the vehicle
-Builds with too much power - there comes a point when increasing power leads to less fun, and I don't think that threshold is very high
-Ugly, irreversible aero mods and quarter cuts
-Builds that use lots of knockoff parts, particularly ones in critical safety areas, and ones that are known to be bad
-Stickers that cover a significant portion of the bottom of the windshield, especially if they say something stupid

I'm a hater, deal with it.

^^ right here...

on trucks/suvs... maybe not so bad...
What car? I dont see no car?

I dont like stance. Non functional stance at least! If its circuit camber then fine thats a reason for it to be there. But obsurds amount is just silly and dangerous.

I hate everyone who buys a fast car and assume they are the best driver around and crashes causing damage to other cars and people! That i hate very much so! I dont respect show offs and laugh at them for doing so.

Hate people wont ask for help then dont take your advice then blow their cars up! I tell them this and recently had this happen to a member in our kia group! Least its 1 member to not have to help anymore LOL.

I hate ALL modern cars! For many reasons, 1 being they have too many electronics and they dont help you anymore finding issues and draw the fun from working on cars.
They use DRL's which dont turn the rears on so lack of safety AND the auto illuminate the dash so no one knows when their headlights are on and as most drivers now adays cannot figure out what sex they wish to be / are! god knows how they dont know they got to headlights on! Half a brain cell left inside their heads!!!
This annoys me as you cannot see them and you flash them to notify them and nothing. they dont seem to care or know why LOL cogs turning but jammed because driving is using 100% of their currently available brain power LOL

Thats my rant for the time being

The trend I hated most and luckily is over for the most part was the damn stuffed animals hanging from under peoples cars.

Now it's any guy who owns a Subaru puts those bumper tow hooks on it. Maybe it's foreshadowing?

If somebody gave me that car I'd drive it everyday, but if I bought one I'd never make it look like that.

The trend I hated most and luckily is over for the most part was the damn stuffed animals hanging from under peoples cars.

Now it's any guy who owns a Subaru puts those bumper tow hooks on it. Maybe it's foreshadowing?
I see them much more on Hondas over here
All it does is broadcast that you cannot drive and need to be towed back onto the road so much you fear for damage caused by using one of the factory tow locations built into the unibody.
How stupid do you have to be to put something on your car that does nothing but tell the whole world "I have trouble staying on the road/tarmac"?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back