The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What breaks first? Tcase? Axels? @ the track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63t

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2005
North Iowa, Iowa
Hello tuners, I’m going to get my car on the track a few times this year and I want to be prepared for breakage so I can have a few spare parts on hand. I was wondering what axels and what brakes first? I will be launching with sticky tires on a ptt twin / shep stage 4 with welded diff. I already am getting a spare 23 spline t case and not sure what to get next for spare parts. (I consider a spare being something I can swap at the track)

The car is a 93 talon tsi making mid 600s and low 500s torque. THANKS
:thumb:

Thought it normally went from Tcase to drive shaft yokes and then to rear axles.

I've broken tcases, rear axles, and stock driveshafts all at the same power level, so any can break at any given time. But my opinion, the tcase is the weakest, I've broke more of them then the rear axles.

What Dave meant to say was watch this video (skipping to the :38 mark) for an example: :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_pQ-AlKYk8]Holset Hx40 powered 93 talon, 10.10 @ 143.54, then breaking axle...nasty!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Anything i say at any time. I have blew my transmission that was ready to go and it went when i didn't expect it to. I also have seen a friend do a launch and it blew the u-join and the whole drive shaft was toast. The I haven't broke a axle.

Alright so I'm thinking ill be good with the spare t cases because I'm on a stock one. I assume the drive shaft brakes at the u joints but I'm sure there is going to be too much carnage to just put a new one in haha. So upgrade that or bring a spare. Do the front axels do well? I mean OEM mitsu ones not advance auto replacements. I have never broken one to date on street tires. (Knock on wood) But thanks for the ideas. Are both rear axles the same? So I could get ahold of one spare and be alright?

Last edited by a moderator:
Front oem axles DO hold up pretty well from what I've seen. Most axle failures seem to be in the rear from weight transfer I'd imagine.

On my first time to the track I completely stripped 4th gear, and I'm probably only at ~400.

That sucks; I have probably 100 passes in this car over the years. I have banged up plenty of synchros and such but never stripped teeth off a gear. I have never ran with slicks and at a higher power level so I have never broken anything. I am going to bring it to the shootout again this year except actually race and I just want to be ready in case I break something on my first run haha. Thanks for the good info guys.

From my experience, the driver's side rear axle is the weakest of the two.

This ^

I've broken one before Accidentally not preloading things enough launching at only around 450 awhp... .

Hello tuners, I’m going to get my car on the track a few times this year.

Can't wait to see what she does if you can keep everything with the drivetrain together :cool:

Well, we could of bet on it haha. I broke the outboard part of the shaft right in half on my first launch :( Drivers side... I'm working on getting some spars now. I can't justify buying DSS ones for how much I can get stockers for. I was hopeing to get a few passes in befor the shootout but looks like im about out of time now..

This was on 235 nitto NT05's also not a slick..

Attachments

• lrcvbreak.jpg
    lrcvbreak.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back