The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G What brand flywheel is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This came with a 6 bolt engine i purchased.

All of the screws in the surface makes me think its aftermarket.

These numbers are etched on it
i039214
mit4 7806

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not stock thats for sure. Most likely Fidanza.

I hate the way these cars drive on any light flywheel. OEM only I say.
mann, thats what I keep reading. One came with a vehicle I picked up but I just put it aside for now. I have extra flywheels so I figured I'd stick with the OEM. It'll help me in my situation being on a stock tune.

It looks like a fidanza awd flywheel to me according to how they put "MIT4". I used to have a couple of their awd flywheels and all of them had "MIT4xxxx" on it.
Just count the number of teeth. If it's for awd it should be 106, if it's for fwd it should be 110. If the flywheel is Fidanza, the replacement plate part # is 229001 (18 bolts). There used to be 20 bolts too. I don't think Fidanza now sell 20 bolt plate with the same part number but you should confirm before purchasing.

Anyone have direct input from driving cars with lightweight flywheels VS stock?

From everything I've read it seems like awd stock weight is more ideal, fwd could go either way. Mostly sounds like lighter car is more ideal with a lightweight flywheel.

Due to the lower inertia of lightweight flywheel launching awd becomes less ideal? I'm sure shifting is probably nicer as rpm burns off faster.

Not stock thats for sure. Most likely Fidanza.

I hate the way these cars drive on any light flywheel. OEM only I say.

I have my first aluminum flywheel being delivered today. What don't you like about light flywheels?

I had an aluminum flywheel for a number of years, I really liked the way it performed. I personally liked the lighter rotating mass, but to each there own.

I did switch to a Comp flywheel due to having clutch engagement issues, but otherwise I liked the fidanza.

I have my first aluminum flywheel being delivered today. What don't you like about light flywheels?
I've been told launching awd is less exciting as less rotating mass reduces effective acceleration initially. Track use on courses is likely fine and where lighter flywheel becomes more ideal.

I've been told launching awd is less exciting as less rotating mass reduces effective acceleration initially. Track use on courses is likely fine and where lighter flywheel becomes more ideal.

Interesting :hmm:

Thanks for all of the input, can i drive this on the street with no issues?

Yeah you should be good to go some people rather like the feel of lightweight flywheel, think in terms of rotating mass, you want more on launch but less pretty much everywhere else. It will Rev faster and decrease engine rpm faster off throttle.

I would maybe recommend looking for a good deal on a fluidamper pulley as a lightweight flywheel changes engine harmonics, but generally I recommend one anyway.

I personally liked it. I used it for 5-6 years in the past and finally went with a multi plate clutch kit with a heavy flywheel. I could feel the difference that the engine rev slower, with a fidanza flywheel was faster.
Some people have a bad luck with the ring gear coming off. A bit difficult to launch and it's totally streetable but the engine may have more chance to stall. Performance modification is like you lose something to get something. Everyone has its own preference. You will like it if the aluminum flywheel fits with your driving style.

Lightweight = higher RPM's to launch
Stock/Heavy = lower RPM's to launch
If you have ever had a AWD do the "bucking" thing on a launch, It is common with a lighter flywheel so you have to increase the RPM's to account for the drop when you start to move the car.
I have ran both and I personally like the way the stocker feels, but driving styles are all different and you can get used to a lightweight flywheel pretty easy.

All I am going to say on this topic is that for a street car, the bad outweighs the good as far as I am concerned. Inertia, harmonics, and the feel of the action. Its across the board for me......light flywheels are no good. But most guys wont even notice the details. Ive been driving these cars for over 15 years now so Im in tune with the subtle differences. I also think pulling the balance shafts on a street car is a mistake sooooo.............yeah.

Ive done both. I know which I prefer.

I do everything I can to optimize my setups for what they where intended to do.

It all adds up. Every little thing you can do can make it that much more enjoyable.

If it's a Fidanza I don't like the fact that they warp easily. The face plate is fairly thin and just about every one I have pulled off has been warped. This last one I took off was heavily warped and was causing clutch chatter.

I will be going with an act streetlite flywheel my next go around. Lighter, but not too light. I drove on the Fidanza for the last 8 years and the drivability and launching was not bad at all for me. But you will find yourself launching around 6k and slipping the clutch a bit more. Which is probably why the Fidanza warps when paired with an aggressive friction material.

If i'm just daily driving the thing I should be fine outside of tuning idle to stop stalls.

Anything else? I don't drag race often, just have fun driving around town to get groceries.

I had a fidanza flywheel until I moved to a twin disc a couple years ago. My only real complaint with it was driving at low speeds in parking lots in 1st gear, it seemed to buck alot more.

If it's a Fidanza I don't like the fact that they warp easily. The face plate is fairly thin and just about every one I have pulled off has been warped. This last one I took off was heavily warped and was causing clutch chatter.

I will be going with an act streetlite flywheel my next go around. Lighter, but not too light. I drove on the Fidanza for the last 8 years and the drivability and launching was not bad at all for me. But you will find yourself launching around 6k and slipping the clutch a bit more. Which is probably why the Fidanza warps when paired with an aggressive friction material.

Sorry. I’m an idiot. I bought a light weight flywheel not aluminum.

Anything else? I don't drag race often, just have fun driving around town to get groceries.
Another experience with a fidanza flywheel. Maybe this info is not for everyone but might be a help for someone who has the same issue like I had.
I used to have stock flywheels and aftermarket chromoly flywheels before the fidanza. When I was using them I had never had any starter engagement issue but with the fidanza I started to have the issue some months later. Most of time barely engaged and sometimes just grind and only the starter spun. It didn't matter if I replaced the starter or the bendix with new, of course the transmission and the starter were mounted properly in its location. Maybe their ring gear wears easier or teeth are a little bit shorter. I finally solved the issue by changing the bendix with one tooth less to make the bendix gear 1 or 2 millimeters taller, it never happens again since I did it. With this method, the cranking speed would be a little bit slower but get more torque to crank.

Are you using this aluminum flywheel on a speed density converted car or a MAF car? You will have significantly more decel throttle and idle and low rpm stability/ stumbling /stalling issues on a MAF car with this flywheel. If this is a DD with a MAF, dont even use it, you will make driving the car worse. We have been using these junk flywheels for nearly 20 years and they have always sucked.

Are you using this aluminum flywheel on a speed density converted car or a MAF car? You will have significantly more decel throttle and idle and low rpm stability/ stumbling /stalling issues on a MAF car with this flywheel. If this is a DD with a MAF, dont even use it, you will make driving the car worse. We have been using these junk flywheels for nearly 20 years and they have always sucked.
I run SD on my daily

Then you should be able to adjust your idle and decel stability to compensate.

Some people like it, some don't, your call.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back