The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

What block is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
So it was my understanding that turbo blocks have a 4G63T stamp on them, and the N/T have a 4G63 stamp. I was also under the impression that one of the few differences between the blocks is that the turbo blocks have oil quirters and the N/T blocks don't.

I was worried about piston heat because my block has the 4G63 stamp, and is going turbo with an HX35 (Turbo or aftermarket internals) and I didnt see the normal oil squirters you see on the turbo blocks, but then I noticed these guys.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These definitely look like oil squirters to me, but not like the ones I've seen before.
Again the block says it is non turbo on the stamp. Are they aftermarket? (Machined in?) or is this something mitsu did to this block from the factory?

Okay. My machinist told me that this block was lacking the "T" on the stamp and, therefore, the non turbo model.

I didnt know the 7 bolt oil squiters were like that, that clears things up, thanks guys.

My blocks don't have the "T" on them either and that is a 7 bolt block. The lack of "suit case" handles for the mains is a dead give away too. Just fyi.

4G63T is not an actual engine code, so your block will not have the T engraved on it unless it has been added by someone after the car left the factory.

A 4G63 block is, forever and always, a 4G63 block. A turbo block has some extra machine work but is still, at its core, a 4G63.

really confused about 4G63
Block Identification

Also - those are only factory oil squirters for 2G turbo engines. The 1G 7-bolt engine had a squirter similar in style to the 6-bolt. :thumb:

So this photo is from my 90 gsx. Pretty certain it's the original. It also has 4G63 without a "T". What is the deal with the JH0803? Any meaning there? (You'll have to zoom a bit on the photo to read).

Attachments

• B608B6E3-9162-4AFA-B193-B6A21D7624BC.jpeg
    B608B6E3-9162-4AFA-B193-B6A21D7624BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
I didnt know the 7 bolt oil squiters were like that, that clears things up, thanks guys.
This info needs to be corrected a little. Not all turbo 7 bolt blocks come with the 2g style oil squirters like the pic you uploaded above. 1G turbo 7 bolt, EVO 1/2/3 and some RVR come with the 1G style oil squirters.

So this photo is from my 90 gsx. Pretty certain it's the original. It also has 4G63 without a "T". What is the deal with the JH0803? Any meaning there? (You'll have to zoom a bit on the photo to read).
I always write those down on my build sheets along with adding my own build #'s but I would guess they are just engine ID's as they come down the line.

decoding engine block numbers

These screen shots are from the Chrylser PDF for the 1G, which can be referenced at: 1G Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon Factory Parts Catalog 1990-1994

So it's the serial number. And at some point, from all the information I've seen and been able to cross-check, the serial number ends up meaning something.

You always come up with the coolest shit Brian!!! :thumb::thumb:

LOL

I used to have a lot of time and did a lot of research into these things. I will say, at this point, this one's still a theory which I put out there for others to check against. Everything I've been able to find seems to line up so, from my experience, it's another 6- or 7-bolt check for engines that originally came in DSMs.

Marty, you said you write these down for all your builds? Want to run those against the NH0001?

MR8102 - 1992 Talon Auto block
JQ8267 - Replacement for 1990 Talon TSI
QX9023 - 1995 7 Bolt Talon TSI

2 more coming that I didn't have written down because they are not built yet.

HW 5316 - Original 1990 Eclipse GSX engine
KL 4506 - Built4G63 block
MJ 1541 - 6 Bolt from Arkansas

Attachments

• Wilson Engine Shop MW1 Spec Sheet 4 FINAL-2019.png
    Wilson Engine Shop MW1 Spec Sheet 4 FINAL-2019.png
    36 KB · Views: 97
  • Wilson Engine Shop TW1 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2019.png
    Wilson Engine Shop TW1 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2019.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Wilson Engine Shop MW2 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2020 Matts 7 Bolt.png
    Wilson Engine Shop MW2 Spec Sheet 3 FINAL-2020 Matts 7 Bolt.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Wilson Engine Shop Stock 1990 GSX 4g63 Motor.png
    Wilson Engine Shop Stock 1990 GSX 4g63 Motor.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Wilson Engine Shop Stock Arkansas 1993 Laser 4g63 Motor.png
    Wilson Engine Shop Stock Arkansas 1993 Laser 4g63 Motor.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Built 4g63 9-8-2014 Invoice for motor with personal info removed_resized.jpg
    Built 4g63 9-8-2014 Invoice for motor with personal info removed_resized.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'm expecting the KL4506 is not the original engine for that '93, hence the unknown mileage? Is it a 6-bolt?

Yes, it was the first 4g63 motor I had and I bought it from Built4G63. The rest are all my blocks and my builds. I never knew where that block came from.

Very helpful. I had noticed that note on occasion about "up to NH0001", but without knowing how the code sequence worked, I couldn't tell how my engine related to it. I always figured that since my car was built in fall of 89, it applies to the "up to xxxx" and not the "after xxxx". Thanks also for the link to that source. That's going right on my phone. I spend hours scrolling through those exploded diagrams (classic enginerd!).

Wonder if they skipped a lot of possible codes in the series, since my 1989-mfr block would be somewhere in the 2.5-Millionth unit produced. 10,000 per second letter [AA to AB], so 250,000 per first letter [AA to BA], so 2,570,803 blocks before JH-0803? That's a lot of blocks. I know they did use them in other vehicles, so if they started in earlier in the 1980's, I suppose that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back