The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What are engine bay pipes called?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mason

Proven Member
Apr 29, 2017
Covington, Kentucky
I’ll probably get roasted for this but can’t learn if you don’t ask right can anyone share their wisdom on what the proper terminology is for the piping in the engine bay... for intercooler, to turbo, intake pipes etc. thanks ahead

I've always just called it piping. Some may call it routing. But I don't know that there is any proper industry way to call them

Maybe a mechanic could step in and say they call them something specific.

Intercooler piping, turbo piping, exhaust piping.

When I plug that in to google I don't get a "did you mean" message so I assume I'm right

Off topic, but, Speaking of pipes I miss my charge pipe for the intake to turbo on my volvo. Went right over the engine. Just BAM in your face this engine looks "sporty." That and having the firing order printed on the valve cover was a nice touch

It’s actually a great question. Referring to any particular Part or assembly comes with experience, and as already noted, can vary based on the common name within the group involved. When you first asked about “pipes”, I first assumed exhaust. The intake tract has hard pipes and hoses, and the stock filter to turbo thing is more properly called a “duct” imo. Then there are plenums and runners (not really part of the “pipes”, but again, depends on context). Some of it also was named in the factory manuals, so those names persist. Describing things on a forum is more challenging than a spoken conversation, but providing a little extra detail helps get your questions answered correctly. I have often re-read my own questions and answers to find they don’t really say what I meant. Maybe even this one.?!:idontknow:

It’s actually a great question. Referring to any particular Part or assembly comes with experience, and as already noted, can vary based on the common name within the group involved. When you first asked about “pipes”, I first assumed exhaust. The intake tract has hard pipes and hoses, and the stock filter to turbo thing is more properly called a “duct” imo. Then there are plenums and runners (not really part of the “pipes”, but again, depends on context). Some of it also was named in the factory manuals, so those names persist. Describing things on a forum is more challenging than a spoken conversation, but providing a little extra detail helps get your questions answered correctly. I have often re-read my own questions and answers to find they don’t really say what I meant. Maybe even this one.?!:idontknow:
First, the name, is priceless. Secondly, sounds like a mature and professional answer bro thanks.

What’s good brother ha ha yeah I figured I’d just ask and it couldn’t hurt to learn ha. You know, I saved them custom stickers and windshield banner... ended up finally picking up my gsx . May have to get with you guys again for a different color scheme. Glad all is well bro

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back