The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What am I missing to hook up DSMlink v2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gijoe985

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Grandview, Washington
Our high school shop project came to use with an ECU that is labelled (and the seller said) that it has dsmlink v2, and is already flashed to run on our car. We haven't gotten the car running yet, but all I have is the box, the ecu, the DSMlink cd, but no cable.

What cable do we need to buy? Anything else?

There a few different cables you can run depending on what operating system from what I remember. V3 they supply you with the new cable, I actually have the old cable I used for v2 but its been so long I don't even remember what the name was. I will ship you the cable if you want it just cover fees, you do need the ob2 adapter from dsmlink too though. That might be the tricky part to track down.

Best bet is to contact ecmlink by email and ask questions directly about getting the obd2 adapter.. Good luck!

Due to the unauthorized duplication of the V1/V2 chips, ECM Tuning will not sell just the cable. People would duplicate the chip for sale, and tell buyers to buy a replacement cable from ECM Tuning. Your best bet would be to upgrade to V3. Although, their site does specify that eligibility of the V3 upgrade requires the entire package be sent in (including cable). The V3 cable will not work on a V2 package.

Being that V3 has been out for some time, perhaps you could contact ECM Tuning to explain your situation. Be prepared to open the case for the ECU to check the authenticity of the V2 chip.

Last edited:
You cannot just purchase a v2 cable without proving authenticity of the chip, but last time I checked they were still available through ecm tuning(I need one also). It may be a smarter decision to try and upgrade to v3, it has more features and is more user friendly. If you stick with v2 you will more than likely need to get a serial adapter so you can plug the cable into your laptop unless you have a really old School laptop that has a 9 Pin serial plug on it. Ecmlink has a wiki page of the adapters to get.

Explain the situation to the nice fellas at ECMTuning. I bet they will be willing to help you out since this ECU is being used in an educational environment. As long as the chip is legit you should be fine.

I agree! Talk to Thomas at ECMTuning. They ARE great people and since you are an educator I bet they will help you teach.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back