The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What am I missing?! *parts list*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Maniak

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Butte, Montana
I've been gathering parts over the last couple of months and I just wanted everyone's input. This is my first build and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am open to any suggestions or criticism so please help me out.

DSMlink v3
Wideband
Boost
Oil pressure

FP 4" intake
FP race manifold
FP 76HTA (Green XL)
PR recirculated o2 w/ Tial MVS wastegate
PR 3" down pipe
Thermal cat back, converted to a true 3"
VRSF FMIC kit
Tial QR BOV
OEM composite head gasket
ARP headstuds
Hallman Pro boost controller

Walbro 255 HP (rewired)
Fuel lab 515 AFPR complete kit.
FIC 1150's

So that's what I've got so far. I know I'm missing something but I can't put my finger on it. Again, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

You got headstuds for exhaust manifold, and new turbo bolts? Antisieze? Make a boost leak tester? While you in the fuel tank why not do fuel filter? flush out the fuel tank for any debris, rust, or any other crap that may have accumulated. Do you have all oil and or coolant lines and connectors for the new turbo? Just a quick list that popped in my head, hope it helps!

You got headstuds for exhaust manifold, and new turbo bolts? Antisieze? Make a boost leak tester? While you in the fuel tank why not do fuel filter? flush out the fuel tank for any debris, rust, or any other crap that may have accumulated. Do you have all oil and or coolant lines and connectors for the new turbo? Just a quick list that popped in my head, hope it helps!

I have turbo bolts, antisieze, and I'll be making a BLT. I ordered the feed and drain oil lines with a restrictor/ in line filter from FP.
I wasn't aware that I needed new studs for the exhaust manifold but ill add that to the list. As far a fuel filter, isn't that on the firewall? I will swap that out since I might as well; any recommendations on a filter? And how do I go about flushing out the fuel tank?

Get some suspension and poly motor mounts to hold that power to the pavement.

I've been researching suspension and I will get it eventually but I want my motor and everything else to be complete before moving on to another facet of the car. How necessary are motor mounts?

How bout stuff for the tranny....clutch, lightened flywheel, fork and ball? Also a fmic, unless these are on your car already

I have the VRSF FMIC kit. As far as the transmission goes I'm curious to see how a stock auto will hold up. From what I've read they are fairly strong so we'll see. When it finally does let go though, I will swap to a 5 speed as this is not my DD, Just a toy for the weekend so I'm not too worried about whether or not an Auto is better/stronger.

I have the VRSF FMIC kit. As far as the transmission goes I'm curious to see how a stock auto will hold up. From what I've read they are fairly strong so we'll see. When it finally does let go though, I will swap to a 5 speed as this is not my DD, Just a toy for the weekend so I'm not too worried about whether or not an Auto is better/stronger.

Cool, my Spyder I use as a weekend car as well! A month ago I finally got around putting a EVOIII 16g, and now it's slowly becoming my DD ROFL. How about your suspension set up?

Cool, my Spyder I use as a weekend car as well! A month ago I finally got around putting a EVOIII 16g, and now it's slowly becoming my DD ROFL. How about your suspension set up?

I plan on doing my suspension after I get all my bolt ons and power adders etc... I'm just hoping someone can find things that I have overlooked such as head studs for the exhaust manifold which someone has already mentioned.

I'm fairly confident that I will never daily drive this. It has low miles and nearly zero rust as it was originally a California car. The harsh winters in addition to the massive amounts of salt they dump on the roads here is just more than i'm willing to deal with. Plus I work up in the oil fields so i'm gone for literally half the year and when I am home I have my Audi to drive.

I plan on doing my suspension after I get all my bolt ons and power adders etc... I'm just hoping someone can find things that I have overlooked such as head studs for the exhaust manifold which someone has already mentioned.

I'm fairly confident that I will never daily drive this. It has low miles and nearly zero rust as it was originally a California car. The harsh winters in addition to the massive amounts of salt they dump on the roads here is just more than i'm willing to deal with. Plus I work up in the oil fields so i'm gone for literally half the year and when I am home I have my Audi to drive.

Well I'm sure you'll get a lot of info and feedback here. I'm still new to all this DSM stuff, and everybody here has been cool and helpful! Wish you well on your build!

How much boost u lookin to run, you might want to get some arp l19 head studs. Also what fuel are you going to run, 91/93 or e85, if running e85 you might want to go bigger on injectors and maybe fuel pump. If using 91/93 you might need to run meth and water injection. It all depends on how much boost ## planning to run.

How much boost u lookin to run, you might want to get some arp l19 head studs. Also what fuel are you going to run, 91/93 or e85, if running e85 you might want to go bigger on injectors and maybe fuel pump. If using 91/93 you might need to run meth and water injection. It all depends on how much boost ## planning to run.

I actually ordered the MAPerformance high performance head studs; I just said ARP for short. I'm not really sure how much boost I want to run yet. I figured I would need meth injection down the road but for now I want to get everything dialed in before I do a meth kit. I only have access to 90oct so i'm sure it won't get me very far but we'll see.

How about a set of cams?

What are you going to be doing as far as your PCV system goes? (Since I see you're using an FP intake)

Thought about switching to speed density? Since you have v3 it should easy to do. ECMlink even has a plug and play harness/kit you can buy...just get the bung welded.

Are you still using the factory hard lines for fuel?

Will the stock radiator be able to accomodate your new turbo selection? If not, do you have either an aftermarket radiator or slim fans?

This is a maybe, but you may run into some mild install issues with a short route FMIC with your car being auto. I believe the fix for this is usually moving the dip stick over just enough to fit the piping. An alternative is to have an upper IC pipe made for you.

If you plan on drag racing it, you should get a high stall torque converter. I believe the stock is set at like....2500 or something. If not....ignore this suggestion.

Since it is an auto, I suggest upgrading your transmission cooler also. If you have an aftermarket radiator...this should have already been done.

Is the turbo also coolant cooled? If not, I suggest a turbo timer or just sit in your car after you're done driving prior to shutting it off.

Do you plan on doing anything for the amount of heat your turbo system is going to make? IE: Wrap, ceramic coating, Vented hood.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head atm.

I haven't even read up anything on the PCV regarding the FP intake. What's the issue there?

I am still looking into cams.

The turbo is oil cooled, but I don't plan on running a turbo timer.

I have a smaller radiator and slim fans on the way as I have read that the waste gate on my PR o2 won't clear the stock fans.

I think the tranny will be fine. I don't really beat on my car and I plan on swapping a 5 speed in there so I'd rather not dump money into the auto. I don't really have plans to drag race it either so no worries there.

If my temps get too high then I will invest in stuff that will help remedy the problem but I don't have any plans to do so initially.

I've read that speed density is quite a bit better but I've never tuned anything before and I would rather start of with just the stock MAS. Plus I've been told that it doesn't really become an issue until you are well over 400whp.

**I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH SoNew, Yukiz, and Tonyseagle ON THEIR ADVICE**

Couldn't of said it better myself gentlemen. Yeah AK, its not a matter of the at what Power Level you need a harsher external Oil Cooler (if you're even running a 6bolt motor...), but more the fact it is OLD and DIRTY inside... to be safe and properly "cool" the oil and enough of it... you're going to want an external Oil Cooler. There are plenty of websites... call Mat @ Precision PSI (443) 510-5522 or hit up Welcome To Extreme PSI for most of this stuff.

Additional considerations...

-Stall Converter (as mentioned)
-FULL BLOWN DOUBLE PUMPER SETUP!! *thank me now... you will want to push over 400lph if your running a big turbo like that especially if you only have 90 Octane. Do a twin 255lph setup, so buy 1 more
-Flush your Fuel Tank and do the Filter (earl's or fuel lab make great ones) which I believe is in the tank
-SS Braided Fuel Lines & AN fittings... if they look rough why not do them, not that much more $
-Complete Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Kit (Welcome To Extreme PSI) you will be glad u did!
-Speed Density conversion (Omni 4 Bar MAP sensor, etc) again... Welcome To Extreme PSI or call them
-AEM Uego wideband A/F gauge if you havn't!!!
*And yes... ALCHY/METH injection if you are planning on running ANYTHING above 17-20psi on a measly 90 octane... don't blow up your build! harness the cooling & extra power from a kit!
... AEM has one for $380 i believe on extremepsi.com (I would stay away from used kits!)

Hope it helps brotha... i've been in the DSM game for 8 years now, just not a big DSMtuners forum guy so i'm starting that up.

**I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH SoNew, Yukiz, and Tonyseagle ON THEIR ADVICE**

Couldn't of said it better myself gentlemen. Yeah AK, its not a matter of the at what Power Level you need a harsher external Oil Cooler (if you're even running a 6bolt motor...), but more the fact it is OLD and DIRTY inside... to be safe and properly "cool" the oil and enough of it... you're going to want an external Oil Cooler. There are plenty of websites... call Mat @ Precision PSI (443) 510-5522 or hit up Welcome To Extreme PSI for most of this stuff.

Additional considerations...

-Stall Converter (as mentioned)
-FULL BLOWN DOUBLE PUMPER SETUP!! *thank me now... you will want to push over 400lph if your running a big turbo like that especially if you only have 90 Octane. Do a twin 255lph setup, so buy 1 more
-Flush your Fuel Tank and do the Filter (earl's or fuel lab make great ones) which I believe is in the tank
-SS Braided Fuel Lines & AN fittings... if they look rough why not do them, not that much more $
-Complete Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Kit (Welcome To Extreme PSI) you will be glad u did!
-Speed Density conversion (Omni 4 Bar MAP sensor, etc) again... Welcome To Extreme PSI or call them
-AEM Uego wideband A/F gauge if you havn't!!!
*And yes... ALCHY/METH injection if you are planning on running ANYTHING above 17-20psi on a measly 90 octane... don't blow up your build! harness the cooling & extra power from a kit!
... AEM has one for $380 i believe on extremepsi.com (I would stay away from used kits!)

Hope it helps brotha... i've been in the DSM game for 8 years now, just not a big DSMtuners forum guy so i'm starting that up.

How exactly do I go about flushing the tank. And for a fuel filter can I just run a replacement one that goes in the stock location instead of an in tank.
How difficult is it to set up a double pump set up. Keep in mind I have never modded anything. Only thing I've done is change the oil.

Is an external oil cooler a pain in the ass or is it pretty straight forward?

I'll get a meth kit once I have everything up and running.

Just when I thought I was getting close to being done:/ makes me wish I just went with a simple 16g setup. I feel like most of this is going to be way over my head.

I haven't even read up anything on the PCV regarding the FP intake. What's the issue there?

I am still looking into cams.

The turbo is oil cooled, but I don't plan on running a turbo timer.

I have a smaller radiator and slim fans on the way as I have read that the waste gate on my PR o2 won't clear the stock fans.

I think the tranny will be fine. I don't really beat on my car and I plan on swapping a 5 speed in there so I'd rather not dump money into the auto. I don't really have plans to drag race it either so no worries there.

If my temps get too high then I will invest in stuff that will help remedy the problem but I don't have any plans to do so initially.

I've read that speed density is quite a bit better but I've never tuned anything before and I would rather start of with just the stock MAS. Plus I've been told that it doesn't really become an issue until you are well over 400whp.

The stock PCV system plums into your stock intake...the little tube that comes off your valve cover into it. I was wondering if you planned on doing the same thing, but with an oil catch can.

If you are getting an aftermarket radiator, then you NEED to get a transmission cooler...notice I said transmission cooler and NOT oil cooler. The stock system is on your radiator. This is why it says "For manual transmissions only." I did notice that my cooler was actually off to the side on my driver's side bumper...it could be different for different cars. If you don't do this...then the lines that come off your transmission won't have a home.

Check your transmission...there will be two hoses that come off of it on top...this is where you will need to connect your new cooler lines.

The stock PCV system plums into your stock intake...the little tube that comes off your valve cover into it. I was wondering if you planned on doing the same thing, but with an oil catch can.

If you are getting an aftermarket radiator, then you NEED to get a transmission cooler...notice I said transmission cooler and NOT oil cooler. The stock system is on your radiator. This is why it says "For manual transmissions only." I did notice that my cooler was actually off to the side on my driver's side bumper...it could be different for different cars. If you don't do this...then the lines that come off your transmission won't have a home.

Check your transmission...there will be two hoses that come off of it on top...this is where you will need to connect your new cooler lines.

For the PCV I will probably just tap into the intake.

My order on the radiator and slim fans is still pending so I can still choose whatever. Any reccomendations on a setup that will clear a 76HTA and a punishment racing recirculated o2 w/ Tial MVS wastegate? Also any suggestions for a tranny cooler?

For the PCV I will probably just tap into the intake.

My order on the radiator and slim fans is still pending so I can still choose whatever. Any reccomendations on a setup that will clear a 76HTA and a punishment racing recirculated o2 w/ Tial MVS wastegate? Also any suggestions for a tranny cooler?

STM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER KIT | 90-99 DSM

Pretty much any radiator with slim fans should work. I only have one fan on my 16g setup and will be going half radiator for when I get my holset hx40 on. You also have the option of making the fans "push" on the other side of the radiator to save even more room. This will require you to remove your A/C. I see that you said that you live in a somewhat cold climate so this shouldn't be too bad for you. I have ran 1 fan in relatively hot weather for some time now...with zero cooling issues. I credit this to ECMlink v3 and it's fan option that keeps the fan on at all times. I also have a lower temp thermostat.

The auto transmission can take a pretty good beating if you keep up with maintenance. If you are getting close to 60k miles, I suggest you go ahead and change your automatic transmission filter. I neglected to do that and I almost paid for it. I was one of the lucky ones and my transmission wasn't toast. Burnt transmission fluid is a pretty terrible smell.

If your ultimate plan is to go 5spd, why not just save for that instead? There is more to it than just swapping out transmissions....I wish it were that easy.

STM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER KIT | 90-99 DSM

Pretty much any radiator with slim fans should work. I only have one fan on my 16g setup and will be going half radiator for when I get my holset hx40 on. You also have the option of making the fans "push" on the other side of the radiator to save even more room. This will require you to remove your A/C. I see that you said that you live in a somewhat cold climate so this shouldn't be too bad for you. I have ran 1 fan in relatively hot weather for some time now...with zero cooling issues. I credit this to ECMlink v3 and it's fan option that keeps the fan on at all times. I also have a lower temp thermostat.

The auto transmission can take a pretty good beating if you keep up with maintenance. If you are getting close to 60k miles, I suggest you go ahead and change your automatic transmission filter. I neglected to do that and I almost paid for it. I was one of the lucky ones and my transmission wasn't toast. Burnt transmission fluid is a pretty terrible smell.

If your ultimate plan is to go 5spd, why not just save for that instead? There is more to it than just swapping out transmissions....I wish it were that easy.

Do you think slim fans on a stock radiator would work? If so I won't have to add a tranny cooler. I know a 5 speed swap is a big undertaking. I'm not going to try that until I have a donor car.

All sound suggestions from all parties.
Personally, I'm going to say 2 often overlooked things. Maintenance and reference material.
Any/all worn bushings, balljoints, filters, hubs, belts, fluids, etc, etc, etc. Replace all that need replacing and inspect all the other ones before you start building a power hungry monster. Last thing you want is that $30 tie rod end to fail as you're rocketing down the track at 130mph.

Reference material. Build yourself a library of bookmarks, printoffs, books, etc that you can use when (not if) you get into a bind during your build. ECMlink can be tricky when you're first starting up so do a lot of reading there wrt wb setup (narrowband simulation), timing, idle, fuel, etc. SD I've heard is a breeze (can't put claim to that myself as I'm yet to install mine)

Good luck :)

Do you think slim fans on a stock radiator would work? If so I won't have to add a tranny cooler. I know a 5 speed swap is a big undertaking. I'm not going to try that until I have a donor car.

Yea that should work. I doubt the stock radiator is wider than an aftermarket aluminum radiator. Let's hope the stocker doesn't bust. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back