The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A What 420a manual transmission fluid can i use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I never ran anything but the chrysler approved fluid. It's the one that says nvt-350 on the body. I personally would never run anything else. The slightly higher cost is worth the piece of mind. IMHO

I bought some 6 months ago and it was 26 a quart.

1st and 2nd are brass syncro's, the rest are paper lined.

i use mopar manule transaxel fluid.
never had a grind ever. in this car with 170k miles
or in my old 400+ hp one

I never ran anything but the chrysler approved fluid. It's the one that says nvt-350 on the body. I personally would never run anything else. The slightly higher cost is worth the piece of mind. IMHO

I bought some 6 months ago and it was 26 a quart.
Indeed, but the stuff was becoming hard to come by. Chrysler recommended ATF+4 as an alternative, and if you can't trust them, who can you trust?

Anyway, Modern Performance recently started carrying the original Mopar fluid. It's $44 for 3 quarts -- not too bad:

Mopar T350 Manual Transaxle Fluid - 00-05 Dodge Neon Drivetrain Parts, Clutches, Axles, Short Throw Shifters, Booger

I wanted to add here that on my manual transmission, there is a label that says to use ATF+4. I removed the fluid and that is exactly what came out. my transmission is also the NVT-350.

I wanted to add here that on my manual transmission, there is a label that says to use ATF+4. I removed the fluid and that is exactly what came out. my transmission is also the NVT-350.
Interesting. I've never seen that before. Maybe somebody added it at some point.

Interesting. I've never seen that before. Maybe somebody added it at some point.
Sorry I remembered I swapped out the 2g eclipse trans for a neon trans from an 2000s model. Makes sense why there was a label since the trans was newer. Well to reconfirm this one had a label for atf+4.

I talked with my roommate, that has a neon he says he's been using synchromesh in his neon. His is a 95-99. He drives it pretty hard. Ill need to ask him how long he's been using it, but he's saying the atf+4 and synchro mesh have a lot of the same ingredients that are required for our transmissions and thats why he uses it.

Amsoil synchromesh is what I used for years. Used it while I autocrosed back in the day, went on countless road trips, and daily driving (I still use it and never had a problem at -40* F up here on startup and daily driving); never had any complains with gear shifting or noise. It was cheaper than the mopar transmission fluid that dodge was selling at the time. For whatever reason I think I remember reading articles about atf and our synchros not being compatible or something. I could be completely wrong, but the thought comes to mind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back