The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Well this sucks, somebody sliced my top.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydl

Probationary Member
May 3, 2021
Prineville, Oregon
So a few days ago my car was broken in to and they sliced my soft top and stole my center console,now im not sure if its ok to ask on here of anyone who may have one around? My junk yards near by dont seem to have the right one,1997 mistubishi eclipse gst spyder 5 speed manual any and all helps thank you!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

They did the same to my gfs top. We ended up sewing it back up, and we spray water repellant often to keep it from leaking. It adds character LOL That is until we plan on replacing. It was time consuming, that's the only downfall

I would keep your eyes and ears open for someone selling this localy... Also have a watch on here if someone in your area post an add for sale. That has to suck big time...I could get you a new top wholesale but by the time you add shipping and handeling you might just order it your self...I feel for you brother... It's time to get yourself a sucurity camera..

Hopefully you have insurance on that.. ... I see you got it all sewen up.. I suggest you spray it down with plastic dip over the stitches to prevent water from getting in. It looks like crap anyways so you wont be doing it any harm....

Hopefully you have insurance on that.. ... I see you got it all sewen up.. I suggest you spray it down with plastic dip over the stitches to prevent water from getting in. It looks like crap anyways so you wont be doing it any harm....
We used black RTV on the stitches that we had to put in on our Spyder when we had it. It had a ripped top also, but some hand sewing and the RTV did a decent job of keeping the elements out.

We use this on my gfs Spyder. Sewn together as well. No leaks when it rains. Water just beads off. Its pretty cool

The top that @dustyboner has mentioned is the perfect top...Do not be swayed by a lower price and end up with a Key top or Autotop. While they are cheaper so is the quality. I highly recommend getting a Robbins or EZon top.. I also recommend you pay my air fair there and back and my logging for a day to install the top.. Just kidding... My top cost me $900.00 and that was whole sale with shipping and handleing included. I also charged myself $500.00 to install and now I'm broke...

We used black RTV on the stitches that we had to put in on our Spyder when we had it. It had a ripped top also, but some hand sewing and the RTV did a decent job of keeping the elements out.

if you ever need to do a repair like that again, try M1 sealant

what kinda tape is that? It kinda looks like eternabond .
if it is, its not installed properly, it need to be rolled with pressure to get a good bond. like the spots its wrinkled, you need to have some one pressing up the fabric from inside the car when you apply the tape so you can smooth it out.

Looks like they also cut through the support strap... where that hole is by the tape..there should be a band that attaches top and bottom to keep the fabris tight. My cost

Last edited:
The top that @dustyboner has mentioned is the perfect top...Do not be swayed by a lower price and end up with a Key top or Autotop. While they are cheaper so is the quality. I highly recommend getting a Robbins or EZon top.. I also recommend you pay my air fair there and back and my logging for a day to install the top.. Just kidding... My top cost me $900.00 and that was whole sale with shipping and handleing included. I also charged myself $500.00 to install and now I'm broke...
Thats a lot of money but it looks SOOO nice now! good job! you definitely know your stuff.

Taking a center console seems rather specific, like some lowlife who also has a car like that and needed that part. Or, who knows?…some huffing knucklehead’s bright idea to make a buck??? I have enough frustration with just the damage I inflict on my car by myself, so really feel for someone getting jacked like this. Hopefully you can get it sorted soon and move on.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I worry about this also happening when I leave my car some place sometimes. Why would they steal just the center console? Seems like they actually removed it without breaking the two screws out near the radio and actually put the screws back in? Very strange in deed. I actually have a spare center console I believe in the attic you can have if your close to PA. It does have a hole drilled below the radio area where I had a gauge mounted.

I haven't done a top replacement but have watched a video on Youtube that shows how to do it. Seems like a long process, But I also believe the guy took steps he didn't need too. I would try and save up the money and get yourself a new top if you plan on keeping the car. If your going to go through the process of replacing it, might as make sure it lasts. If you believe this could happen again, maybe leave the doors unlocked next time so they hopefully won't have to break anything. Still sucks, you feel violated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back