The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Well Guys, I'm leaving soon....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Yea...I'm selling my car. Either with everything on it or I will turn it back to stock...but it is going.

It's just that I want something new and I've had a lot of cars in mind

350z
Rx8
C5
E46 (3 series bmw)
99 GSX
EVO VIII
R33 Skyline
STi
s2k

Thats a bunch that I had been thinking about...and I think you guys will be with my decision...I'll be buying an EVO probably by summer. It's just an awesome car and if you ever have a chance to drive one you'll see why. The handling is absolutely incredible and that is really what I want in a car...and the potential of the EVO just seems a little better then our DSMs...

anyway...I really haven't been that active on these boards lately anyway...been busy doing other stuff, girlfriend, school, work...thats basically my life.

Well, just thought i'd fill you guys in...and i'm really not leaving the dsm community...so yeh...just no longer going to be a true dsm owner.

I just want to be the first to say, good luck with your decision. It's a tough one to come here and be a real person w/ feelings. Alot of people will want to give you grief, but in the end you have to realize that you have to do what is right for you. The Evo is a fantastic car as well as the STi. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Stacy

The way I look at it, choosing between an EVO and a DSM is like choosing between prime rib and filet mignon. Both are overbuilt sports cars (yes, even the EVO) with nearly limitless tuning potential. I feel blessed to own my TSi AWD, and I'd feel the same way if I owned any AWD DSM or EVO. Both we DSM'ers and EVO owners are lucky to own cars on the 4G63 platform. I want you guys and girls to step back and think, not just about your DSM's, but about the 4G63 platform in general. Some internet keyboard jockeys might forever nitpick the differences between a DSM and an EVO, but the similarities can't be ignored. To me, an EVO is exactly that, an evolution of what started with our cars back in 1989.

What other platform and engine has been successful in all of the following: drag racing, road racing, rally racing, auto-x, ice racing, hell, any kind of racing? I can't think of any form of four-wheeled motorsport that a DSM or EVO hasn't at least run with the big dogs in, and Lord knows we've won too many championships to count.

Hell, the DSM proved that a turbocharged sports car could be sold to the masses at a reasonable price. The EVO continues that legacy by providing performance that cannot be matched in any other $29,000 car. Think of the other cars placed in the same league as us: Supras, RX7's, 3000GT's, and 300ZX's. There's not another American-market 4-banger that can compete with those kind of cars, until the EVO and STi. Plus, if I'm correct, the base price for a Turbo AWD DSM in 1990 was around $15,000. Nobody has offered that kind of performance per dollar then or since.

Another thing that has caused DC and Mitsu to earn my respect is that Turbo and Turbo AWD DSM's are not limited production rarities like a MKIV Supra or an FD RX7. Those involved in the DSM joint venture chose to build a real performance car that was available and accessible to the average Joe, rather than double-booking a waiting list. Instead of keeping the Turbo DSM's limited-production, they built as many as their customers would buy.

13secGST, the torch has been passed to you. Please continue to explore the potential under your hood, and build something that will continue to uphold the 4G63 community's (DSM/EVO) legacy of dominance and innovation.

Seems like many of the veterans have decided to leave the DSM game for awhile...but maybe it is time to move on. Good luck and keep us updated on which car you pick up.

Originally posted by jp171
The way I look at it, choosing between an EVO and a DSM is like choosing between prime rib and filet mignon. Both are overbuilt sports cars (yes, even the EVO) with nearly limitless tuning potential. I feel blessed to own my TSi AWD, and I'd feel the same way if I owned any AWD DSM or EVO. Both we DSM'ers and EVO owners are lucky to own cars on the 4G63 platform. I want you guys and girls to step back and think, not just about your DSM's, but about the 4G63 platform in general. Some internet keyboard jockeys might forever nitpick the differences between a DSM and an EVO, but the similarities can't be ignored. To me, an EVO is exactly that, an evolution of what started with our cars back in 1989.

What other platform and engine has been successful in all of the following: drag racing, road racing, rally racing, auto-x, ice racing, hell, any kind of racing? I can't think of any form of four-wheeled motorsport that a DSM or EVO hasn't at least run with the big dogs in, and Lord knows we've won too many championships to count.

Hell, the DSM proved that a turbocharged sports car could be sold to the masses at a reasonable price. The EVO continues that legacy by providing performance that cannot be matched in any other $29,000 car. Think of the other cars placed in the same league as us: Supras, RX7's, 3000GT's, and 300ZX's. There's not another American-market 4-banger that can compete with those kind of cars, until the EVO and STi. Plus, if I'm correct, the base price for a Turbo AWD DSM in 1990 was around $15,000. Nobody has offered that kind of performance per dollar then or since.

Another thing that has caused DC and Mitsu to earn my respect is that Turbo and Turbo AWD DSM's are not limited production rarities like a MKIV Supra or an FD RX7. Those involved in the DSM joint venture chose to build a real performance car that was available and accessible to the average Joe, rather than double-booking a waiting list. Instead of keeping the Turbo DSM's limited-production, they built as many as their customers would buy.

13secGST, the torch has been passed to you. Please continue to explore the potential under your hood, and build something that will continue to uphold the 4G63 community's (DSM/EVO) legacy of dominance and innovation.

This is what I really wanted to say.

If I had the money to buy either of those cars Id probably feel the same way.I'd definatly buy a 99 GSX or EVO:thumb: Im more than happy with my car now though.I love everything about these cars,and ''Yes'' I use to be a V8 Muscle car/Mustang guy.I was a DIEHARD Mustang fan since I was 11.I had a ''Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords'' Mag rolled up in my pocket everywhere I went.I just wish there were a DSM mag for me to gain some more knowledge about these cars,I cant take my computer everywhere with me.Anyways Im on the other side now and dont think Id ever go back.:D > DSMs KiCk AsS <

I like my car but if EVO VIII's were available in Canada, there would be one in my garage. I was tempted by the STI but I'm still not sold on the look of the WRX and I think in a couple of years the styling will look dated. Good luck, you can't go wrong with any of the cars on your list.:thumb:

Screw that dude, just have two cars to drive. That's what I'm doing as soon as I can decide myself.

yeh...in a way I don't really see myself as leaving. Because the EVO really is an evolution of the dsm...and it seems* to be built better than our dsm's were...like there was more care put into it when it was made.

two cars...LOL...I wish...I couldn't afford that.

Originally posted by jp171

amen

why not a automatic/6spd supra? nearly pretty good weight distribution and the automatic supras tranny shifts faster /handles more hp than the 6spd's. Well depending on your application... if you're a drag/autox or you'd just want a pimpin daily driver...

Bro and I are planning to get each a evo, supra TT, or z06 a year or two after we graduate...don't know about rwd+big hp in wet weather though

But anyways, for a daily driver I recommend the evo or a g35coupe/350z.... i've been in all, and they make great dailys.

It's a shame you're sellling your car Eric, my bro and i think your car is all around pimpin.... :(

i will have my evo in early next year when i can afford it and there cheaper:thumb:

btw: 13sec ure car is 1 of the best 1s here

thanx guys for the compliments

and I am over supra's...I used to want a tt 6spd..but I got over that.

I don't know if you guys can tell, since I really haven't posted here as much since I "changed" but to me, everything isn't about hp.

I want something that is an awesome daily driver, fun to just cruise. But can handle and take it autoxing or road racing easily and easily run low 13s/ high 12s on it which is a decent quickness but definetly not fast.

With what I want. The EVO will do it...plus, the EVO is such a versatile car, I can take it off road, take it to the snow, take it on the sand...take it anywhere...it is the car for me.

and btw...I might be parting mine out, so if anybody wants parts...I got some.

An EVO will suit your goals fine. Good Luck.

Damn, another DSM owner retiring from the DSM community.

I guess thats part of being a car enthusiast. When you feel that you had "been there, done that," it is time to move on and try to accomplish something else. When Im done with my project car, I might do the same and buy a new platform to work on. Although I know I can never get rid of my GSX due to sentimental reasons. I tried to trade it for my C5 but I just could never part with the damn thing.

Eric, it's good that youre only moving to another Mitsu incarnation. The Evo is a nice and a very familiar territory thanks to its evolved 4G63. I thought of getting one too but being an owner of a DSM makes me stay away from owning one coz of the stupid and incompetent dealer/service center.

If Im gonna buy a new car (aside fom the new upcoming C6 Z06) I would get a more mature sportscar like the Infinity G35 Coupe AWD or even the sedan or a Bimmer 3 or 5 series since these cars are the next step up from a sport compact and very civil - but alot more expensive to mod.

Good luck bro on whatever you choose and I still want to meet up someday and see your new ride and perhaps talk DSM. I sure need the help in tuning my car.

Please get the R33 and then take me for a ride!!!:thumb: R33-34 Skyline= dream car:D

Yeah Eric i feel the same way sometimes...But just like chris i cant give up my dsm just yet...Im also thinking about geting a new car maybe a 996 are something along that line...im not really ready for a family car yet..well good luck with whatever u pick..

996 > All of us.

I'd love to have one. That car is all about 100% bonafide driving pleasure.

About the EVO though. At least you'll stay in the family. Its a great car, i love it. when i get out of college, i'd probably have one as a DD.

good luck though man!

Get that 350Z. I haven't been so impressed with a new car since 1998 when I saw the C5 debut. It's a piece of art in my eyes.

ROW

Originally posted by 13secGST
yeh...in a way I don't really see myself as leaving. Because the EVO really is an evolution of the dsm...and it seems* to be built better than our dsm's were...

Ya might wanna check out the Evo forums. There's some controversy about the clutch lasting more than a few thousand miles. Rust spots behind the bumper. Paint fading and chipping. The ride isn't "stiff" - the components are just bolted solid to the body ;)

I drove one before knowing any of this. I tried two hard rolling acclerations in 2nd gear (clutch already engaged, foot not even on pedal), and the clutch burned BAD. True, maybe the prior test drivers glazed it being idiots, but it's quite a coincidence I'd have that prob, come home and join Evo forums to investigate it, and find out it's basically their #1 complaint, their version of "crankwalk."

Incredible car to drive though ;)

I would defintly get the EVO , AWD and turbo and they are in the 13s bone stock. :dsm:

damnit...I just replied and it gave me a bunch of bullshit now I have to re type everything...I couldn't even press the back button.

anyway I'm 18 and it really isn't that bad...I work in a nice restaurant and make pretty good money there. Now I'm starting to be a waiter...make even more money.

then I commented on the 350 and what I liked and didn't like about it when I test drove it...doesn't matter though cause I think the EVO is a much better car for the money (it really depends on what your looking for though cause they are totally different cars...and I realized that)
then I said a bunch of other stuff about clutches, 996, insurance...

anyway...you guys know any good EVO forums cause the ones I have found are ok...and evotuners isn't really developed yet...

I'm going to join, I just need to think of another catchy name;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back