The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Welding the popups to the hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the Olds that had the little thin headlights in the eighties? I think they may have used them on a Pontiac, too.

But not me. I'm afraid of the things that live in the dark.

I had this done to my car also about 5 years ago. Car was black and looked really good, but it was hard to see. The lighting really sucked. I had hids mounted where the stock turn signals go on. Other words i had no turn signals. LOL

I have this done on my car and let me tell you it is no walk in the park. But it is do-able. I also have the factory metal hood. If you do not have any welding skills I suggest you find someone who does. Where you are going to need to weld is only sheet metal and is very warp friendly. Also you must be pretty good at body work to get it smooth and flat again. Also do not make the same mistake I did, use a really good sealer primer so your body work does not bleed thru the paint (it did on my white car). For the lights I fab'd my own sheet metal brackets that mount where the front bumper (crash beam) bolts on and also where the old pop-ups used to reside. They are made to accomodate two 50mm Hella projectors (1 low-beam & 1 high-beam per side). I have many pics but as you can tell by my post count and join date I do not post much and have no idea how to post pics. There is a single pic of my car floating around in the Tri-state forum from a pool hall meet in hamilton if you do a lil searching. Any other questions feel free to fire away. If anyone can help with the pics that would be great.
Jeff

^That is my main concern as that is how i drive around now and it sucks, any car that comes behind me creates some kind of eclipse and its like my lights aren't even on, all i can see is a shadow of my car.
Right now the '92 front end conversion is looking more doable. I already have 2 sets of Piaa lights, the one in the car and another better set on the shelf but its getting spendy figuring this out.

Ive seen this before and it looks good, but I would seriously just stick with the pop-ups and use the money for something a little more rewarding.

Check these pictures, they basically have the light set up you're looking for. Don't remember where I got the pictures but I assume they are from a member here.

These pictures gave me the idea to do the S13 conversion on my 1G. You could maybe follow this setup and fabricate a custom cover for the lights you put in.

Can you just leave your popups down like this, or do you have to readjust them at all? One of my popups will not stay up and I need to figure out what to do so that I can drive it in the night. Can you just take out the covers that would go in front of where the popups ^^^ like that would shine through and leave the popups down? Maybe put in a brighter bulb? Or just leave your high beams on all the time haha?

What was the Olds that had the little thin headlights in the eighties? I think they may have used them on a Pontiac, too.

But not me. I'm afraid of the things that live in the dark.

Grand Prix and the Cutlass Supreme I believe that's what your talking about...

Can you just leave your popups down like this, or do you have to readjust them at all? One of my popups will not stay up and I need to figure out what to do so that I can drive it in the night. Can you just take out the covers that would go in front of where the popups ^^^ like that would shine through and leave the popups down? Maybe put in a brighter bulb? Or just leave your high beams on all the time haha?

Pop ups are just a headache, I used to live by the sea and had to clean and oil (lubricate) the pop up mechanism constantly since it would tend to get stuck due to the sea breeze and weather. Besides that, they don't give you the best visibility at all, it's rather poor I should say. I tried aftermarket diamond cut headlights, higher wattage bulbs and such and eventhough I had better illumination it was nowhere near what I was looking for. Never had a chance to try HID's though, maybe that would have been a solution.
Another thing from 1Ga's that suck are the turn signal and front marker lenses (the thin plastics that cover the front). They tend to get blurry, yellowish and basically old looking in a short period of time. That was another determining factor for me to do a conversion.

I can say I'm really happy with the results of my headlight conversion both in function as well as in looks.:thumb:

Attachments

• dsmvscamaro2.jpg
    dsmvscamaro2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 135
  • talonstrip.jpg
    talonstrip.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 141
WOW!!!! That is gorgeous. Do you have a write up on how you did it?

Unfortunately I don't. I didn't take pictures during the conversion process, I regret it now. I was planning on taking out the lights so that I could take pictures of what was modded and welded but haven't had the time to do so. Maybe in a few weeks that I have to go to the shop to do some work on my car I'll end up taking the pictures I need for a write-up.

Taking the light assembly from a cutlass or grand prix is a great idea come to think of it. If you were to just use the high/low beams. Cut the back out of the clear lens and mold the housing from the Cutlass into it would work quite well because the adjustabilitly of the beams would still be retained. The light shining through the lens may turn the light a bit dull but I would think it would be better than our factory sealed beam shining through two layers of it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Supreme_convertible.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Pontiac_Grand_Prix_GTP_Coupe.jpg
you can see how they have a turn signal toward the center that you could obviously leave out for our application.

^That won't work the body lines up front are different.

Also i am in the air of doing this, because i do not have pop-ups in my 91 i have piaa driving lights and while they are good they are still not a great headlight.

SO basically its between this and a 92 front end conversion.

Its only a little longer.
It wont be that noticeable.
I'd rather do this then Fck it up with grinding and welding.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back