The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Welding Books/resources

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T is for TURBO

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I don't know if this is quite the proper forum for this thread, so mods, feel free to move it if you'd like. I just figured it's farbrication related, and may be helpful for others in the future.

I have been a mechanical desinger/drafter for almost 5 years now. I primarily produce heavy weldment drawings (for surface mining equipment) and some design work. I produce weldment drawings for anything from small drive guards, or handrails, to trailer style chassis weldments weighing up to 25,000 lbs. I enjoy my job, but I've been itching to get some hands on welding exerience. I want to go back to school for it.

However, since my time is quite valuable to me, I'd rather not spend all of it at work, at school, and then at home studying. So I'd like to get a head start on the technical side of welding, before I devote to much time into school. I know most of it is hands on, and practice, practice, practice. But I also know that it's a lot more than just that. So, what I'm asking is, do any of you more seasoned guys have a list of REALLY good books or resourses that us beginers might find useful? Maybe some books that might include:

-Break down the operation of TIG/MIG/stick/gas welding
-Explain the differences and applications of certain filler rods/wire
-What gasses should be used/recommended for different applications
-Common techniques used for each type of welding
-How to set up welders

I'd like to go into this knowing as much as I can, and have a strong understanding of the theory and practice before I dive into a school program. I do plan on picking up a welder soon to practice with. (I have some expirence with stick and oxy/acetylene welding, but I haven't touched that in almost 10 years.) And I do have an exhaust that needs to be built, so after some practice, I will have something to "build" to see, I guess, where I stand.

Thanks, guys, and sorry for the long winded post!

I know your more or less looking for book information but Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info is a great resource that is free. The guy who runs welding tips and tricks is an old timer so he has a lot of solutions for most problems. Hope that helps.

That's Jody. You will find anyone who is a welder has seen his videos. He can teach you everything and has about 150ish videos.

Miller.com they have a student package which used to be about $25 maybe more now but it came with a book about each style of welding. Nothing too involved but a good break down of each.

A very easy way to keep track of gas
mig - c25 (75% argon, 25% co2) or you can do 98/2 (2% being co2), or you can do a tri mix (for SS work). If you want to use a spoolgun and do aluminum you need 100% argon.

Stick - no gas
Oxy - I have no idea
Tig- 100% argon. Or you can do a argon/helium mix. Regardless 100% argon is standard for tig just like c25 is standard for mig.

There isn't much to setup really. For sick you set amperage & polarity.
For mig you choose wire speed and voltage.
For tig you set the max amperage and the rest you control. It's all very simple. Watch some videos and do some searching and figure out what you want to learn first and why and go from there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back