The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Welding aluminum....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I figured out my problem, ive noticed that when my stickout is to high and my torch angle is >90 deg I have problems. When I decreased stickout and kept the torque relatively vertical my problems went away.
With aluminum you want minimum stick out and a small cup not too much gas either caise itll create a vac and suck oxygen into the weld zone.

I am sorry for being off topic cause its not aluminum, but can you talented guys make these reasonable?
I'm pretty sure the damand is there....I volunteer to be the test subject LOL.

Attachments

• 20171105_170552.jpg
    20171105_170552.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 157
There's spots around the flange where you see the weld doesn't taper and run in smooth with the pipe it comes to a more abrupt stop and there's a rolled edge. To cold, needed more heat.

Last edited:
Oh yeah....its cheap shhitt. But thanks in case I didn't know. Need good SS replacements.

Whats going on with the comp housing in the background? Obvs practicing/setting up on it but damn she scorched. Hahaha

I am sorry for being off topic cause its not aluminum, but can you talented guys make these reasonable?
I'm pretty sure the damand is there....I volunteer to be the test subject LOL.
I just finished one for a customer, I give alot of credit selling these o2 housing in the 300 dollar range. Its alot of work building them correctly. I had a jmfab, but i modified it for exit by the tire so instead of chopping it I just built a new one out of stainless

Attachments

• 57292F4C-F3D2-499B-B6EC-03FDA040D132.jpeg
    57292F4C-F3D2-499B-B6EC-03FDA040D132.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 137
Whats going on with the comp housing in the background? Obvs practicing/setting up on it but damn she scorched. Hahaha
You got it, before I figured out what the hell i was doing wrong. It was literally stickout and torch angle. That is all. Welding aluminum is cake walk now. Welding can be very frustrating....your problems always end up being something very stupid. Watching expensive al fitting turn into blackened dog shit makes you want to :banghead:

In regards to stickout, you can pull your tungsten way out to fill big gaps or getting in tight spots. Helpful with tubing. It's pretty easy to pick up trash on your tungsten like this, or stick your electrode in your puddle. That will make your weld black real quick. As far as pointed or balled up tips I've stacked dimes with both. Your machine and tungsten will pretty much govern that. One other thing I'd like to add is weld puddles blowing out. I run into this at work from time to time. Occasionally when I've got alot of heat trapped in an object while sealing it shut with a weld... my puddle just goes to hell on me near the end of my weld. Drilling a small hole in your material can help expell the trapped gasses and heat. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants at work so when I get these little anomalies I whip my electrode away from my puddle then back in while jamming filler rod into this little blow out. I've welded dirty aluminum, had gas flow problems, and a good deal of torch malfunctions. Just pay attention to your puddle and listen to your machine.

The first four pics are from last night. The last pic was welded about a year ago. Its amazing what a little practice can do

Attachments

• 5D0A6D6E-BEBC-4490-BC7C-FF2AB2833D2A.jpeg
    5D0A6D6E-BEBC-4490-BC7C-FF2AB2833D2A.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 88CC2782-BB6F-4EB7-8910-DEBC820414FF.jpeg
    88CC2782-BB6F-4EB7-8910-DEBC820414FF.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 93
  • CEF1FC2A-21AF-4645-AB75-E692117E3641.jpeg
    CEF1FC2A-21AF-4645-AB75-E692117E3641.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 25B1F294-33A3-4D02-9A1A-9DA333C498A3.jpeg
    25B1F294-33A3-4D02-9A1A-9DA333C498A3.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 96
  • A5475041-7773-46B0-8D2B-58139138D19A.jpeg
    A5475041-7773-46B0-8D2B-58139138D19A.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 89
Looks like your getting a little catering - need to ramp out of current slower, and try to get a last drop of filler in there. Good improvements though.

Last thing early in the post lots of argument on tungsten type....there are no rules, use what's besymt for you. I like red on inverter machines, for everything, and I use green or even white on my transformer machine for ac. I've even welded aluminum with a $100 110v inverter arc welder on dcep - scratch start! Had to use 5/32 red tungsten for that!

The lws is pushing that E3 tungsten around here, "it works better than red" BS! It sucks, it's just the radioactivity of red so they are trying to get away from it.

Looks like your getting a little cratering - need to ramp out of current slower, and try to get a last drop of filler in there. Good improvements though.

Last thing early in the post lots of argument on tungsten type....there are no rules, use what worjs best for you. I like red on inverter machines, for everything, and I use green or even white on my transformer machine for ac. I've even welded aluminum with a $100 110v inverter arc welder on dcep - scratch start! Had to use 5/32 red tungsten for that!

The lws is pushing that E3 tungsten around here, "it works better than red" BS! It sucks, it's just the radioactivity of red so they are trying to get away from it.

Looks like your getting a little catering - need to ramp out of current slower, and try to get a last drop of filler in there. Good improvements though.

Last thing early in the post lots of argument on tungsten type....there are no rules, use what's besymt for you. I like red on inverter machines, for everything, and I use green or even white on my transformer machine for ac. I've even welded aluminum with a $100 110v inverter arc welder on dcep - scratch start! Had to use 5/32 red tungsten for that!

I was just running practice beads, I normally pedal out slowly. Im using a gas lense with number 7 cup.... I dont use red anymore for obvious reasons. Ny biggest thing is penetration, I find that even when the weld looks good I still get 1 tiny pinhole leak i chase. It can be frustrating.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back