The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

welding “frame” concerns and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canatalon

Probationary Member
Feb 28, 2021
Summerside, PE_Canada
Hi everyone, finally got some pics here of some welding that’s got to be done. From what I understand, if I can clean up all the rust to the solid metal I can just weld in some thick plates and it should be alright...i do have welding experience but not in this kind. I’ve tried to find threads and articles in here on this and on the inter webs but haven’t come to find what I’m looking for, or Maybe I already got the answer n just don’t accept it 😂 who’s done this kind in thing? If you have pics to share that would be awesome! Need some insight.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There’s no point in using thick plates. Use factory gauge sheetmetal. Like I said in your other thread, cut out the rust and butt the new material up against the old stuff.

There’s no point in using thick plates. Use factory gauge sheetmetal. Like I said in your other thread, cut out the rust and butt the new material up against the old stuff.
That’s my absolute plan! But I have concerns since it seem a like a structural part of the car. Like is it a high stress area of the car? Is this a point in the car where I have to worry about heat transfer to the pinch welds that will weaken them? Sorry for all the questions. I know it’s going to be a whole lot of work but I’m willing to take the steps!

On the structual parts like rear traiking arm i opted for 1 3mm plate vs multiple sheets on top because this wont collect and rust in between them ao where i could i went single thicker sheet for this reason. Also i seam sealed all remailing joints so no more water could get in between. Its a tricky and time consuming job but do it once and well and will last you another 20 years for strength!

On the structual parts like rear traiking arm i opted for 1 3mm plate vs multiple sheets on top because this wont collect and rust in between them ao where i could i went single thicker sheet for this reason. Also i seam sealed all remailing joints so no more water could get in between. Its a tricky and time consuming job but do it once and well and will last you another 20 years for strength!
I noticed that on the bottom on the trailing arm mount how it’s all falling off like sandstone now LOL do you have a picture of your finished product?

on my build thread i have many pics so head over to my page and check the last few pages out from 2020 and you will find alot of the work i done

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back