The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Welded Motor Mounts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
I am wondering if anyone has welded their motor mounts solid and if it was worth it or not. I tig weld all day at work and I can weld anything I want to bring in so I was thinking of bringing one mount in at a time and welding it solid. Would this be a good idea or would it cause problems in the long run?

It would definitely be much cheaper than Prothane mounts and less work/easier to finish. The old mounts are a pain to get the outer ring out when installing polyurethane. It should have similar benefits/characteristics and vibrations at idle

I've cut circles and drilled them to weld up the front and rear mounts on my car a long time ago, the thing felt too clanky so i went to prothanes all around and replaced the solid ones at the same time..the motor did not budge though

The only thing I worry about is that I always drive with my shift box which shifts at 100% line pressure. I was wondering if the shifting would break something since there would be no give. I have been driving with the shift box for well over a year now and have been able to get really smooth shifts most of the time just when at WOT, the car comes alive!

I welded mine and love it. Really helped my FWD be more stable during a launch. I could actually use the studderbox after the mod with street tires, but I came from broken mounts. I still run bshafts, so the vibrations are nothing like others have described. There's benefits to keeping the bshafts :) .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back