The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

weird thrust bearing issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm's can fly

15+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2008
Buford, Georgia
Okay, this is odd and i cant believe i just caught it. i need someone to confirm this for certain. I am about to put this motor back in the car. I got a 92 6 bolt 4g64 out of a expo. when i disassembled this motor it had a 3 piece thrust bearing. At the time i thought nothing about it. Now i have rebuilt this motor completely and i used King bearings. the King bearings have a integrated or "flange" thrust no washers. they were purchased as the ones for the 6 bolt 4g64. I have not found anything anywhere about a 3 piece thrust on a 6 bolt. So i guess my questions are.

1. Is there such thing as a 3 piece thrust on a 6 bolt?

2. If there is did i screw up putting a one piece thrust in?

I checked the end play, and it was within factory spec and, i seated it using a rubber mallet to the front thrust surface before torquing the mains. i have done in the past. never had a issue before and i hope that i dont have one now.

thank you guys

Well hard to say, King bearing website is not very user friendly.
http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/panel/pan955.htm

But from what I have seen...
It looks like you got bearing part number MB5403AM
For engines with upper flange shell only.
ACL:5M1228

When you may have needed MB5626AM
That set includes the thrust washers
or you could have used
MB5315AM with TW 173AM But note****For engines 1997-on requiring thrustwashers*****
ACL:5M1219 FMO:7415M OEM:21020-38540

Most blocks that run thrust washers are not champhered on the edge of the main bearing housing bore, a flanged bearing needs that champher for the bearing to "roll" over

Well hard to say, King bearing website is not very user friendly.
http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/panel/pan955.htm

But from what I have seen...
It looks like you got bearing part number MB5403AM
For engines with upper flange shell only.
ACL:5M1228

When you may have needed MB5626AM
That set includes the thrust washers
or you could have used
MB5315AM with TW 173AM But note****For engines 1997-on requiring thrustwashers*****
ACL:5M1219 FMO:7415M OEM:21020-38540

Most blocks that run thrust washers are not champhered on the edge of the main bearing housing bore, a flanged bearing needs that champher for the bearing to "roll" over

Thank you so much for the reply.

the box the main bearings came in is in front of me and says "MB5227AM".
What confuses me is that i apparently have the only six bolt i have ever seen that came with a 3 piece thrust???

I am sorry but for some reason in my mind i cannot think of what a champhered main bearing housing looks like in comparison to a non champhered. This is not the first motor i have put together and i did not notice anything weird when i installed it. I just was cleaning up and saw the original thrust washers and was like WTF.

Think of the flanged thrust bearing on a Ford or chevy, rhe outer edge of the Housing bore has a 45* edge.

Most Thrust washer set ups, have a 90* edge

Use the link above and cross the OE bearings.

Think of the flanged thrust bearing on a Ford or chevy, rhe outer edge of the Housing bore has a 45* edge.

Most Thrust washer set ups, have a 90* edge

Use the link above and cross the OE bearings.

okay,

I searched through the links, and referenced the bearings. By the way i agree horrible website. It appears that according to the site i have a set of bearings that are appropriate to the engine i have. The only applicable bearing set that includes thrust washers is for 98-99 motors. This whole thing still makes no sense because my motor is a 1992 even according to there website (king) there is no bearing set that includes thrust washers except for motors after 1998.

I have these bearings and King states these to be correct for the motor SOHC 8v 4g64. but if that's true why on earth did it have thrust bearings when i took it apart??

Bogus SVO -- I pulled this motor from a bone stock Expo van myself. Is it possible that someone could have rebuilt that motor and added thrust bearings that should have never been there in the first place??

MB5227AM
STD/.25/.5/.75/1.0
For use in USA. Same as MB 524AM, but with flange STD length in all undersizes .
ACL:5M1144 CLE:MS-2076P FMO:5103M

I am wondering if the org engine in the 92 expo was swapped out with a junkyard engine of the 97/98 model year.

With the age it could have happened.

Check the block/ head over for a date code

I checked the Vin on the block and it has a "N" for the 10th digit which means it is a 1992 block. not to mention that i have a 6 bolt front case and timing assembly on it which would not work on a 7 bolt motor. I still doubled checked when you mentioned it though because this is very weird. So i am back to guessing.

I just checked the Clevite catalog also
http://www.mahleclevite.com/publications/EB-20-11.pdf

They show the same thing as King, a flanged bearing to 97, then the thrust washers after 97

Maybe it had a crank kit or just bearing installed under warrenty?

Not alot more that you can do or check.

You may want to pull the thrust main and check for the champher, being a 92 it should have it tho.

Bogus svo, thank you for all the help on this one. i checked it all out and it was fine i dont know were those thrust bearings went but they were not meant for my motor. just finished a real rough tune only about 10 pulls. made 630 @ 20 psi.

:hellyeah:

Good deal!!

Glad it all worked out!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back