The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved Weird sound when coasting.. help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltho98

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2003
New_MexicoUS
When i'm coasting in gear there seems to be a sound coming from the rear end.. maybe the driveshaft.. not really sure. When i take it out of gear the sound goes away.. Has anyone ever had ths problem?

Is it a crunching noise? I had that, then my transmission went bang. Intermediate shaft bearing failure.

I have somthing like that right now. Its like a rubbing/vibrating noise it is only there when i am costing at one speed if i speed up its gone and if i let off the gas to decel its gone only when i cost. If my friend isn't busy i will try to track it down this weekend and let you know whats up

Intermediate shaft bearing failure? How do you inspect that? Its not like a crunching noise its like something is rotating and is rubbing something. Only happens between 30-50.. and it sounds worst if i'm in 3rd as opposed to 4th.

I have the same problem. I went to mitsubishi and had a tech ride with me.

He diagnosed the problem as bad u joint bearings in the driveshaft. I am replacing those this coming Monday along with installation of eibach/AGX suspension.

I will let you guys know if the u joint bearing replacement fixes the noise.

To inspect it, you have to pull the transmission apart.

A friend of mine was thinking u-joints also.. since U-joints are so cheap ~11 bucks a pop.. i'm goin to replace them all this weekend and let you all know the results also. However, a way you can check is see if there's play in the u-joint that is excessive or if there is a lot of play in one direction but not in the other.

for the shaft bearing you have to pull the tranny apart? I hope mine is the U joints or somthing else

Video? If it sounds like it's from the rear, put the recording device back there or find a way to attach it under the body. A vague description or none at all doesn't help diagnosis.

It happens between 30 and 50 miles an hour more often in third gear or fourth gear. I Still Hear it in fifth gear. It’s a low tone, big vibration. Only on deceleration. If I hit the brakes or gas .. it goes away. Suspect transfer case / or u-joint . Just curious if anyone has experienced this with a repair conclusion.

Last edited:
Decel grumble...pretty common in DSMs.
Loose pre-loads (anywhere from the tranny to the rear-end) can cause the noise. Especially in the rear-end. An unsprung clutch disk can also make the noise more noticeable.
Check your fluid levels too (tranny/xfer/rear-end). I notice the noise more if the xfer case is low.

If it's a woop woop sound then it could be your clutch.

It happens between 30 and 50 miles an hour more often in third gear or fourth gear. I Still Hear it in fifth gear. It’s a low tone, big vibration. Only on deceleration. If I hit the brakes or gas .. it goes away. Suspect transfer case / or u-joint . Just curious if anyone has experienced this with a repair conclusion.
I had exactly the same issue before. My case was the carrier bearing and its mount was getting bad.

I fixed it! :D oddly enough…My right rear caliper was hanging up causing drag on one side in the rear (AWD). What finally made me realize what was going on was that the pads were down to the indicator and making noise only on that corner (just did brand new pads with drilled and slotted rotors may 2022).
New calipers with meaty pads… no noise 😎 #resolved

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back