The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Weird sound from engine when trying to turn on engine also no crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TofuBoi03

Probationary Member
May 8, 2021
Greenville, Texas
So I have a 1G 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Fwd. I’ve been trying to figure out fuel problems. But usually when your working with fuel the car with crank. Just not turn over. I have a video of the sound it makes when you try to turn the key to start the car. I’m trying to find the fuel presssure release line to find if the fuel pump is working. I’ve tried to take out the fuel pump but the pump pump metal line won’t unbolt even how much strength you put into it. It will bend the line. I’m just trying to find out and help with why it’s doing this. Also the weird sound comes from the ECI multi.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ECU's don't make noises unless there is something wrong inside. Since nothing interesting happens unless you have a good ECU I'd suggest starting there. All 1G ECU's develop capacitor leakage problems and the 1990 ones have a tendency to burn up so check to make sure it doesn't have original capacitors and that there isn't damage from leakage.

When you turn the ignition switch on but before turning it to engage the starter watch to see if the CEL turns on for 5 seconds and then turns off. That indicates that the ECU powered up and ran long enough to execute the start-up tasks.
If the CEL doesn't turn on or turns on and stays on you have a problem and you'll need to fix it before looking elsewhere.

What I hear in your video is the ISC being rehomed when you turn the key on. That part is normal and a suggestion that the ECU is at least powering up.

How do you know if the CEL turns on? Inside the car you hear one click anytime you turn the key on.

There is a relay that controls the power to the ECU and depending on the year car the fuel pump.

When you first turn the ignition on it should click and it should also click a few seconds after you turn the ignition switch off. The fuel pump relay should click when the starter is activated and again a few seconds after the engine stops turning. That's the MPI relay or relays.

BTW, the engine turns over during cranking (or not if the starter doesn't work). The engine either starts, runs, or fires. I'm assuming yours is turning over but not starting. Is that the case or are you having issues getting the starter to crank it?

Yeah it seems the starter won’t crank but I’m also not getting fuel. But usually without fuel it will just crank but not turn over. I took some videos today and pictures. I’ve also put some fuel in the tank

I didn't hear the starter activate. Are you pushing the clutch in?

It sounds like the starters relay is engaging and disabling the signal to the starter solenoid. One potential cause for that might be that the rubber bumper on the clutch pedal has perished and doesn't push the clutch safety switch in when you push the clutch in. Another is that the switch has gone bad. Disconnecting the C.S.S. connector will disable the relay that cuts the signal to the starter.

Without the signal to the starter it won't crank or turn on the fuel pump.

Yes the clutch is pushed in so yeah that means that switch is broken

So the switch is located on the pedal? Do you have a picture to what it looks like? And where can I get a new one?

Ah so that’s what it looks like. Next time I go out and disconnect it ill see what happens.

So figured out where the clutch switch is I just need to find where it hooks up to and unplug it does the brake have to be pressed in also for it to start?

Alright so I unplugged the clutch switch. But it’s still doing the same thing

Hey I figured out the problem on why it won’t start the clutch switch and the black box the ignition wire isn’t hooked up to anything and I’m trying to figure out where it goes

You need tongive us some more information about your situation. Has this car ever ran? If so did this problem happen out of the blue? Does it have an aftermarket alarm? What circuits have you tested? Is it getting fuel or spark? The videos don't seem to show a car that is cranking at all. Does it crank or has it ever? What is your history with the car? Did you just buy it?
Help us help you.

I just bought it 3 weeks ago. It came with some aftermarket anti theft system. The Ecu works. I’ve unplugged the clutch safety switch because it doesn’t work. I’ve been trying to find a solution to get it to crank. The starter was replaced. When taking out the knee pad I went to go look at the relays the starter relay was there and it works the relay next to it which I don’t know what it does is there. But it seems there is a missing relay to the left of the starter relay I’ve been trying to figure out what it is. Sorry for the spam the website little bit glitchy for me.

Why not "test" the starter by using a screwdriver to touch the positive terminal on the starter (the BIG terminal with a battery cable on it) to the small, signal terminal and see if the starter actually operates. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL to do this test.

Yeah ima try that. It’s raining right now. But when it stops I’ll try to go at it.

Okay so I haven't had the time to mess with the car or do anything with it I may sell it get another where it does not have electrical issues because I have had to move houses and going to be hard to move the car. Ive been wondering what does this plug do? Because its also in the passenger side as well.

I'm out of the country right now but what I could remember it led up into the dash same with those wires. But you had that plug the one in my hand which was the on the drivers side. Then one the same in the passenger side. When looking at diagrams it looks like its supposed to go behind the fuse box but I don't know how I don't think there is room for it. it's a weird car. it has after market anti theft system. Which may be the issue on why the car wont start. Some of the wires from it led up to the ignition switch. But that thing at one point caused damage and shorted things out so I'm just going to leave it unplugged. Almost forgot the orange wires 6 wires to the left came from the anti left system. But the plug came from the car. They're separate

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back