The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Weird smoking issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom N

Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Car is a EVO 3

A week ago I decided to eliminate the pvc valve and plug the hole on the intake. I put a fitting where the pvc valve goes and have it in a catch can.
I then took and sprayed the throttle body down with Gunk air intake cleaner. I also sprayed it through the throttle body while keeping the car running. Probably sprayed half the can while keeping the car running. It never started smoking while doing this.
I shut the car down and about 20 minutes later got in it to go to the dojo. At the end of my street I notice the car smoking some from the rear. I figured it was from the intake cleaning and continued on. The car smoke the whole way to the dojo and back. About 15 miles round trip. Since that day I have started in testing to see if I can narrow down why its smoking. Tried letting it idle for 10 minutes and then tapping the gas to see if big puffs of smoke come out. They dont. That kind of eliminated the exhaust valves I would think. The turbo is the factory e316g and has minimal back and forth and no in and out.
Now if I hold the gas at about 3k rpms in about 20-25 seconds it will start bellowing smoke out the exhaust.
I took it for anouth drive just to make sure there wasnt just some oil in there from the intake cleaning and it got worse after driving it ( although it does drive fine ). Now it will fog out my house and yard in seconds.
Compression is 180. 180, 178, 180
Going to pull the intake next and see if there is oil on the intake valves.
Having a hard time believing it could be the bottom end. The car is relatively stock, hasn't been pushed hard and is running 15-18psi with zero knock.
Any ideas. Is it possible the turbo could have gone bad but not have much play?

Edit to add the smoke is from oil. Has a blue tint and you can smell it.

Well unless the turbo is super blown I would think it would smoke that bad at idle but in boost, but I could be wrong. Can you post a pick of the egr setup you did. Check and clean the Pcv out good maybe your getting really bad blow by.

Well unless the turbo is super blown I would think it would smoke that bad at idle but in boost, but I could be wrong. Can you post a pick of the egr setup you did. Check and clean the Pcv out good maybe your getting really bad blow by.

Sorry I fixed that in the post. I meant pvc not egr.

It does not smoke very much at a idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back