The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Weird P1390 code...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5spd420a

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2012
Shannon, Iowa
I keep getting this code popping up, P1390, which is timing has skipped 1 or more teeth. But the weird thing is is that my timing has obviously not skipped because I hear no valve train noise or anything else out of the ordinary. What could possibly be causing this? Thanks.

It can take 3 teeth before valve train noise/valves hitting. What was done on engine recently? Normally this code is due to timing belt (TB) not installed correctly (code gets set when camshaft position sensor is offset from the crankshaft position sensor one tooth or more). Check if all the TB marks are aligned properly (http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G-NT.html) and that TB tensioner has not become loose. If this all ok, check that camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor are not loose or have moved.

Ok. Nothing has been done recently to the timing components. 2 years ago my dad and I completely overhauled the engine and replaced the timing belt, tension, idlers, and associated things. I did have to replace the crank sensor about 2 months ago. I'll check out VFAQ and go from there. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back