The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

weird idle problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbrasil

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2003
Northville, Michigan
ok....when i turn my car on it will start up and then not want to run unless if i give it some gas.....it will run fine but as soon as I come to idle it stalls, but then ill drive around and the car will be warmed up and then the problem goes away and doest stall anymore, I thought maybe a bad IAC or something but if u could help me out that would be great! :talon:

kinda diff problem here but mine just idles up and down constantly with out giving gas...could it be same problem?

Originally posted by NEO92-TSI
kinda diff problem here but mine just idles up and down constantly with out giving gas...could it be same problem?
idle surge?

I have an idling problem as well. Mine goes between 500 and 800 rpms and really gets mad at me if I turn on the a/c during idle. To test your Idle Speed Controller/Regulator u can remove the plug attached to it and hok up an ohm metere and run the leads to the outer most pin and the middle pin. To know the ohm range that shows the motor is in good working condition, do a search for it in the forums cause I can't remember the optimum range.

I have a stupid question...what is the isc motor? My car has been doing pretty much the same thing. It does not idle well when it is cold. but when it is warm it will do ok. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by llopez00
I have a stupid question...what is the isc motor? My car has been doing pretty much the same thing. It does not idle well when it is cold. but when it is warm it will do ok. Any suggestions?

Search the forums for ISC and you can see a ton of posts about it. Simple put, its the part that controls your idle.

Hey guys,

The solution I would say after I went to get this fixed 600times finally narrowed it down to one thing. AIR FUEL Sensor was changed and never happened again. "My orginal problem was my car would hickup and then die at a red light if I didn't keep the gas pedal down. Once the car would warm up NO PROBLEM. I went through hell to figure it out until I bumped into someone who had the same problem on his Talon."

Hope that helpps.

What "air fuel sensor" ...is that the air charged temp sensor...the one that goes on the intake kind of on the back of the motor? Because I am having the same problem...just mine only dies sometimes...not all the time...do you think it could be the same thing?

Originally posted by llopez00
What "air fuel sensor" ...is that the air charged temp sensor...the one that goes on the intake kind of on the back of the motor? Because I am having the same problem...just mine only dies sometimes...not all the time...do you think it could be the same thing?

Hi there Yes you are right sorry I am not so good technical wise but that exactley the location that they first cleaned causing the problem to dispaear quite a bit. Then once replaced IT WAS GONE. And let me tell you it was the most annoying thing on the planet.

Yeah I know what you mean about it being very annoying because I have been dealing with this same problem for about three weeks now. But tonight I went to auto zone because my CEL went on and they told me that the "air charge circut is high." So I am pretty sure that is what it is. I am going to go tomorrow and get the sensor. Thanks for all the help!!!

Ok I am still stumped...I replaced my air charged temp sensor and my car is still dying...any other suggestions?

what do you mean the "lower" oxygen sensor? that would be the downstream one right...the one after the cat. thanks for the help i will check that tomorrow.

You want to check the ground strap issue. Run a search on the forums for ground strap. Also, I believe the 1G only has one oxy sensor, while the 2G's have 2 sensors. Make sure your oxygen sensor is properly grounded.

yeah I have two oxy sensors on my car. but how can I tell if it is grounded well? do I check the wires or how well it is grounded on the exhaust? thanks again!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back