The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Weird happening overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VivaLaOC

Proven Member
Mar 16, 2021
La Grande, Oregon
So last night I drove my dad out to my brother's house, on the way back my 2G was overheating I immediately pulled over and popped the hood to investigate. The top radiator hose had popped off and I added some more coolant in and kept overheating all the way back which was about 1/4 mile from home. Anyways, I thought I needed a new waterpump, but I got up today checked my coolant and such and had essentially none in there. So I filled her up and took her for a short drive, wasn't overheating but fluctuated a bit but now is completely happy and fine. Just wondering if this is a symptom of anything, I've searched and found nothing.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Had the Same Problem on one of my cars.
Car started to overheat and some coolant was missing to.
After checking everything, I found a leaking waterpump.
Replaced the pump and the thermostat and never had an issue on the car.

You will need to remove the timing belt to get access to the waterpump, so consider to change it to if you are going to replace the waterpump.

Sounds like you had an air pocket that wasn't pushed out while driving last night- post refill. Once it cooled it pushed the air pocket out.

Sounds like you had an air pocket that wasn't pushed out while driving last night- post refill. Once it cooled it pushed the air pocket out.
Thanks guys, yeah I kinda figured it was either of those things. I plan on getting the kit to do both the waterpump and timing belt I have a clear cam cover to put on anyways so ill do all 3 at the same time

Also, is this a healthy idle? The guy I bought the car from said the engine was rebuilt at 200,000 and currently I have 261,576

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also, is this a healthy idle? The guy I bought the car from said the engine was rebuilt at 200,000 and currently I have 261,576

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Healthy as far as what? 750 RPM's at hot idle with stock cams +/-50RPM is fine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back