The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Weird engine noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst98Tfast

10+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2011
tucson, Arizona
Hey just today driving and suddenly when stopped I hear a random noise from engine. It's like a rattling noise and is there when idle up to 2000 rpm goes away. I know my second gear synchro is bad but do not know if that as an effect on it any suggestions to check?

mine was the exact same way, all i did was replace the motor mounts and replace the spark plugs and wires. runs like new and no noise

I had that problem with with my nt eclipse rs and everytime I let go go of the clutch I t would stop rattling. It was the tranny too worn out. Hopefully its nitvthe same with you. Maybe something easy. Just follow the noise when the car is on. Youll find it.

first off does it make the noise at all while just siting there idling? or just while driving? an old trick I was taught was if there is a tick, rattle or something of the sort, you can take a 1x1 piece of wood put one end on the engine/tranny, put the other end to your ear and beable to narrow down your search for the noise by how low the noise is and were the position of the piece of wood on the engine or tranny. may sound crazy, but it works rather well.

thanks to all but was timing belt and had practically everything near it replaced and running like new again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back