The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Weight Reduction/Accleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeRollsOn

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2002
Lebanon_PA
I was wondering how much my 0-60mph time would improve or my 1/4 mile time if I would remove my spare tire and tools? How about my spare tire and back seat? Would it make a difference? How much slower would my car be if I added a Sub? I heard it can make you noticably slower. :confused: :dsm:

It all depends on the sub. I think you can get lightweight subs for performance cars. Check out www.sounddomain.com for more info.
About removing weight, it's not goin' to gain much in accelaration. Are you at or mt? If your mt, & if you can drive, you should run bout' 16.88 or so at the track. Removing all that stuff will probally drop that to about 16.68. Now I'm just guessing on all this, so someone who acually knows what their talking about, please chime in.

the rule of thumb is you can gain about .1 sec for every 100lbs you toss out of your car

yeah i was wondering about removing the rear seats to shave off lbs too. i think that it would slightly improve performance, handling, and fuel economy.

I am manual trans and I can drive it good. I was looking at subs on there but alot of them don't tell you how much they weigh... Do you think that a sub or 2 would make a noticable loss in acceleration because I've heard it can...?

If your going to the track then remove your front seat if you can too. It's actually heavier than the back seat.

after adding my subs, mycars performance took aGIANT drop...but then again...i have NO trunk...and the box weighs a ton....if u can try to get a fiberglass box, im doing that this summer...hopefully i'll have a different car though too.

Thanks for the feedback.. I decided I'm just gonna forget the subs and put the money into an EGT gauge instead after I get my Hahn kit this spring.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back