The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

way to remove wires from alternator plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
okay everyone so I have a problem with the alternator plug from the harness, I can physcially see that 3 of the 4 wires have copper showing right at the end of the plug, and using a multimeter, I can see that the positive wire still brings power through the plug but not the ground, so the ground is loose and now the alternator will not charge the battery.

i've found a link to buy a brand new plug in the 'all electrical connections' thread for 2gs but the company is out of stock, mistubishi only sells the entire harness for $500 or so, and I don't live anywhere close to any junkyards, and no clue who has what.

with that said, i have alot of electrical experience, just finished rewiring the alternaor with 4 gauge & fuel pump with 10 , on a brand new alt & fuseable link, which is why I know its most likely the harness plug, was really hoping to fix the plug and be on my way.

I had the same issue, went to a junkyard and cut one off a galant, they're the same. Just solder it to your harness and call it a day. Pretty much any 90's mitsubishi will use the same plug from what I saw in the junkyard.

Edit: I'm stupid and didn't read. PM me and I'll mail you one. I took 3 last time for the hell of it.

so i've been doing tons of research, and I was wondering if there's any way to test the actual harness plug with a multimeter in any way?

I noticed there are 2 bigger wires in the center, which the red is a constant positive and reads through the connector. At first I thought the black wire right next to it was probably a ground but I read its actually a wire that runs to the alt/generator relay, which I guess I could try to ohm out with the power off. I physically checked the relay and looked undamaged but also haven't been able to find an official way to check these relays. relay MD113566 i belive.

also apparently, the 2 smaller wires at the end apparently both run to the ecu for voltage regulation/compensation but in a thread it was mentioned to check the small green wire from the alt harness plug for voltage, and if the voltage was almost zero then the wire was either shorting to ground or ground by ecu, which i got measurements between 5-6volts from the green wire only with the igniton on.

most likely going to end up replacing the harness plug and the relay if the harness pigtail doesnt do the job.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back