The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

way to much monster garage and junkyard wars

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiturbo001

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 16, 2002
Sterling_CT
Alright, i watch these shows way too much and they have finally gotten to me. I'm going to build the most badass go-kart you have ever seen. DSM POWERED.

Ive got a spare engine and fwd tranny laying around that i was planning on selling. And a complete parts car. Pretty much everything i need minus a chassis and wheels. Im planning on mounting it midengine and using the fwd tranny to power the rear wheels. This thing would be hooked up, power steering, disc brakes on the front, four wheel independant suspension, all free from my parts car. I have mig and tig welders, chopsaw, torch, grinders and access to all the steel i could possibly need. Only thing holding me back is time.

Anyways, what do you guys think. What else should i look into, i think ive got everything i would need for the most part. Help me come up with a parts list to get this badboy going, not performance stuff, cause with a stock 4g63T and the weight it will be fast as F*CK already. Just think turbo 4g63 powered 1000lb. RWD go kart. OMG.

parts:

-1.5"-2" tube for chassis
-4g63T+ FWD tranny
-custom axles to drive rear wheels
-steering rack and pump
-all brake components
-all clutch components
-various custom lines for brakes, clutch, steering
-shocks and struts from parts car (fwd tsi)
-small light wheels to mount slicks on, probably like 12" wheels from old minicoopers or atv wheels.
-ecu and various wires from harness for sensors and such
-all ignition equiptment
-fuel cell
-radiator (probably smaller than stocker for mounting issues, maybe couple of motorcycle radiators) + cooling components
- fmic from starion(hey why not LOL) + custom 1.5"-2" pipes
- drivers seat from parts car
-shifter assembly
-custom shift cables

this is what i can think of so far, probably missing a few

dont know about a go cart...but if you hooked up a tube frame dune buggy with awd...that would most certainly kick ass.

NICE..i love those shows..what would you say the best monster garage was?..i thought the wheelie ambulance was pretty cool and the mini snow mobile was freakin awesome..

My most fond memory is the rx7 getting ripped to shreds by that huge fu(kin gun.

Originally posted by byondevl
My most fond memory is the rx7 getting ripped to shreds by that huge fu(kin gun.

what!?!?!..i never saw that episode?..

Why use custom axles? I would take the sub frame from yer parts car, weld a tube frame in front of it, along with a MustangII IFS. The computer, wiring harness and assorted bits could sit behind yer seat, infront of the radiator (nice and dry, mildly cool). For cooling, run a fan both infront of and behind the radiator. Do you have metal fab skills/experience?

Originally posted by byondevl

i have that on my comp
the failed 2nd gen rx7 dune buggy that lost the race, so they took a few thousand rounds to it and turned it in to ####ing shrapnel

my boss was just on this monday's episode of monster garage. I work for www.tucciengineering.com they did the hot dog cart dragster, I looks like a lot of fun and I say Build it, that would be alot of fun.

yeah, metal fab is no problem. But id rather build a full tube chassis from scratch rather than using frame parts from a couple cars. It will look much cleaner and be lighter. i guess i could use the stock axles too.

i thought about a dune buggy too, but i dont have an awd tranny to use. And i want a rwd toy to rip around my back roads on and boil the the tires off of since i cant in my awd tsi.

the designi have in mind is not really a go-kart, i dont know what to call it. It's a smaller scale f1 car i guess. Just a small indy car. Nice and low, slicks, light, and powerful.

The best monster garage is by far the rx7, only because jesse takes that gun to the 7 for like 5 minutes straight. Probably the coolest thing ive ever seen on tv.

when i first read the title, i thought you were gonna b!tch about those shows. i was gonna come in here and whoop some ass!!! LOL

but now that its cool, i'd say go with the dune buggy, because that would be one HUGE go-cart, and it would be really cool to see an AWD TURBO dune buggy

:thumb:

like i said, i dont have an awd tranny, and it's not a go kart. Nor will it be huge. So now that we have it straight that i wont be building a dune buggy.......

How do you guys think a dune buggy would be cooler than a Kart car with the power to weight ratio better than a 427 Shelby Cobra...come on.

Figure 2ft long 3" exhaust, all free mods, cold air intake, boost controller, walbro 255. Easily get low 12's/high 11's out of a car this light (probably better). And it could handle like crazy

Plus, i dont think stock suspension from a talon would work to well on a dune buggy.

That thing wou;d sound mean,having just a 2 foot 3" dump from the turbine. I think RWD would work best. AWD would be alot more money and work IMO. But that frame has gotta be pretty darn strong to hold the torque of a even a mildly modded 4G63T.

Yeah, the frame will be pretty beefy. Im now contemplating if i should do what nutshot suggested. Taking the subframe and just building a frame infront of it. This would definatly be easiest.

The only problem i see with this is the fact that it was previously used for steering, so it wont be as sturdy as a solid rearend. How could i brace it and lock the wheels from turning? Only thing i can think of is removing the steering rack and use a solid peice of steel to connect each side, then brace the shit out of it so it cant move. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by twenty5psi
NICE..i love those shows..what would you say the best monster garage was?..i thought the wheelie ambulance was pretty cool and the mini snow mobile was freakin awesome..

yeah, the mini-snowmobie rocked!

after watching a few episodes of monster garage, i started thinking that it would be neat to do something similar to what you're suggesting... but instead of making a normal buggy/go cart... why not some sort of vehicle that uses treds (?) not sure what to refer to them as. the type of locomotion that a tank uses. work out some means of reducing power to one side for turning... but it might be a wee bit difficult to accelerate initially due to the large surface contact of the "wheels"
dunno... someday when i'm done with college...

I've actually been thinking of this already... i was gonna use the rear hub assembly from a gsx... i was pretty much going to build a sandrail and use the rear suspension and everything from a awd eclipse and use the front suspension and steering from an old bug or hyundai excel... something small... rack and pinion would be nice... also have a nice big intercooler from a truck sitting a little bit above the radiator... right above the motor ;)... keep me posted with this as i still plan to do it when i get a little more $$$ to do it...

the go cart idea is so awsome, LOL.

shit, i might just do that!

and moster garage owns you! i also like monster house, american choper, and the new one called american muscle of something, its about building hot rods.

I say get a AWD and Rip the whole body off, Put a Roll cage and A lift and Some Knobby tires, and head up to the woods and WOOOOOOT all over the place. oh yah, put Skit plates on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back