The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Water pump problems??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseLunar

Probationary Member
Sep 7, 2012
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
What would cause the water pump to leak under boost? Whenever I boost to much coolant around the timing belt area will leak and smoke will come out of timing belt cover? Also when at idle it will overheat and leak after 5 mins. When driving normal i haven't notice it leaking at all, then i park and there is maybe a little coolant puddle under timing belt area. New water pump was installed maybe about 8,000 miles ago. Leaked when first installed thought it was the ring still sealing. What do you guys think?

Water finds the path of least resistance. Normally the radiator cap opens under pressure and lets the coolant into the overflow bottle. If the ring you mentioned not sealing is the one on the water pipe, it will leak near the alternator, not into the timing belt area.

Perhaps the mounting surface wasn't cleaned enough and a piece of old gasket is not letting the new pump seal up to the block. Perhaps a bolt wasn't torqued correctly.

Perhaps your thermostat isn't opening.

Was the water pump OEM or from Autozone. The rebuilt pumps could have a bad mounting surface.

Could even be a leaking head gasket.

In any case, antifreeze will really cause a timing belt to deteriorate fast. Surprises me it's made it 8k without snapping.

Timing belt still looks new. Just dont want to dig into the belt again haha. Can i just take water pipe and replace ring to see if thats the problem. Some coolant on alternator (which is also new :cry:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back