The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Water pump leaking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Look and see if you can see it coming from the weep hole on the water pump, that’s your sign that it’s going bad. However if the gasket is the culprit the pump needs to come off anyway so at that point if you’re unsure of it’s age it’s best to go ahead and replace the pump as well. If you determine that to be the case plan on servicing the timing belt and components as well as the timing belt needs to be removed to access the water pump.

Look and see if you can see it coming from the weep hole on the water pump, that’s your sign that it’s going bad. However if the gasket is the culprit the pump needs to come off anyway so at that point if you’re unsure of it’s age it’s best to go ahead and replace the pump as well. If you determine that to be the case plan on servicing the timing belt and components as well as the timing belt needs to be removed to access the water pump.
I see , thank you . I’ve never done a timing belt on any car I want to do it . I’m going to have to watch YouTube videos 🤔

Can I drive it like this ? It seems to only be leaking it while driving or under load . It’s not overheating it’s staying at 180 degrees with the heater on …

Yes, you can drive it but I don't recommend it. Air can get ingested and that air could collect at high points in the head, creating hot spots that can cause problems... and you won't know it until it's too late. The temp gauge won't read "overheat" as its measuring the water in the jacket, not the trapped air in the head that's superheating. This isn't a definite scenario, nor even highly likely. But its not a chance worth taking IMO.

Yes, you can drive it but I don't recommend it. Air can get ingested and that air could collect at high points in the head, creating hot spots that can cause problems... and you won't know it until it's too late. The temp gauge won't read "overheat" as its measuring the water in the jacket, not the trapped air in the head that's superheating. This isn't a definite scenario, nor even highly likely. But its not a chance worth taking IMO.
Ouh yeah ofc I understand you , specially with dsms it’s not good having any weak points . At the moment I’ve been driving like this . It hasn’t been leaking much lately . Only seems to be leaking at idle. Everytime I check the coolant it’s always full . I guess it’s just getting water from the reservoir everytime it gets low 🤷🏽‍♂️ drove it 2 hours straight to apple valley and back Drove like a champ surprisingly 🤔 stayed at “180 degrees “ the whole time and without the heater running temp 200 no more . That’s why I installed a number temp gauge . Can’t trust the stock one It could sky rocket unpredictably. Have a buddy who’s going to help me do the timing and pump Since I’ve never done a timing job . And I don’t trust myself with such a vital job 😂🤷🏽‍♂️

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back