The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

water pump died.. so now a dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephroth57

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2002
Barnegat, New_Jersey
So yeah, theres coolant spraying/leakin out of my water pump right behind the belts, and it got everywhere and wont hold fluid.. this is probably just the seal leaking but i might as well replace the pump if i have it off right?

now the problem is i was planning on an engine rebuild in a few months, so to get to the pump you need to take off the timing belt, which if you take off you should probably replace. is it ok to take off the timing belt, and put the same one back on if im not gonna use that engine for more than a few months. i plan on 6 bolt swapping so i wont even have the same engine in there so, it would be a waste of money

opinions?

If I was you I would just look at the belt when you get it off and make sure its still in good shape. Same with the tensioners. If you are sure you will be replacing it or rebuilding the motor in a couple months I dont see any problem with re-using the old belt.

How many miles are on this current belt?

If you are 100% sure you will be getting a new motor.. then ya its prob a waste of money to replace the t-belt + hardwere. water pump is prob $80 bucks or so.

I just replaced my water pump a few months ago and boy was it fun. I got a pump for 32 dollers at this place by where i live and did the whole thing myself. There was no way i was going to pay a place to do it, especially because of how much they will charge you. Placing the water pump was a must for me and took me close to 4 days working for a few hours each day. Since you have to remove so many parts to get to it, keep track of what bolts go where and you will prob have to put a jack under the motor since removing an engine mount was something you have to do to get to it. Have someone help you with the timeing belt when you put it back on because timing it is the hardest part i thought of the whole process. :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back