The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G water pump and balance shaft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCGuerrette89

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 24, 2011
Terryville, Connecticut
ok so my water pump is starting to leak and i know it needs to be replaced but before i go and do the water pump and timing belt i was woundering if there was any way to tell if the balance shafts were removed already with out taking it apart because if there still there i wanted to do that when i do the water pump.
and also are there any recamendations for brands to look at and any oil pump upgrade while im in there?

thank you

OEm oil pump dont chance it, pull the timing cover off and see if the belt is there, only way to visually see it, thats it wp i use store ones never used a oem one ran them since 94 in my dsms never a issue with wp failure, but look at vendors for prices for your build a oem oil pump.

Yeah you'll just have to remove the timing cover and check if the belt is still there for the balance shaft. That's really the only way to tell.

Go with an OEM oil pump and whatever brand water pump has the best warranty ;)

dosent the belt that drives the oil pump drive the BS too? and you talkin about the timing cover on the side of the block not on the top with the valve covor right?

thank you for the help so far guys

dosent the belt that drives the oil pump drive the BS too?

No. The balance shaft belt only turns the balance shafts off the crank as you can see in this picture: (The crankshaft sprocket is in the center, the balance shaft sprocket is circled in the top left of the picture, and the oil pump sprocket is circled in the lower right of the picture.)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The timing belt turns the camshafts and the oil pump off the crank as seen in this picture: (note that the balance shafts are removed in this picture)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and you talkin about the timing cover on the side of the block not on the top with the valve covor right?

Yes, they are talking about the one and only timing cover on the side of the block.

and to take the covor off does the engine need to come out or what and there is a BS behind the oil pump right but if the other one is removed so is the one behind the oil pump correct
sorry for the stupid questions

I am in the middle of the same project. Go OEM on timing components I went to JNZ tuning. I picked a gates water pump. And BSE kit should be OEM too. eBay kits can kill. Lower timing cover will come off with motor in. I would double check balance shafts. Some people only take the back one out and some just cut the belt. My belt broke a while ago and I never notice it. But I am doing a BSE anyway to do I right.

It was recommended that I redo valve cover gasket and cam seals. But my timing case is in a bad way with grime and coolant. Water pump leaked into it and pulleys chewed through the cover.

and to take the covor off does the engine need to come out or what

No the engine doesn't need to be pull out the cover is a pain to pull off but it will come off it will be pulled out from the bottom of the engine

there is a BS behind the oil pump right but if the other one is removed so is the one behind the oil pump correct
sorry for the stupid questions

(BS mean the bull shit hole LOL) hole (has a bolt in it) is on the back side of the engine kinda by the oil pump i say its 3'' above the oil pan take the bolt out and put a screwdriver in it if the screwdriver goes all the way in then you don't have balancing shafts if the screwdriver goes in a 1/4''of the way or a little more then you have balancing shafts. hope this helps

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back