The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Water Meth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stugotsv10

Proven Member
May 21, 2021
Connecticut
Is anyone running a Water Meth kit on a 2G?

I know on one of my Vipers it worked wonders but just wondering any experiences on DSM's?

in my case this would be on a 20G Turbo

Not much difference between 1g and 2g, other than perhaps exactly where extra parts/pieces fit best underhood. I haven’t tried this yet, as I’m still getting much long-deferred maintenance and repairs sorted out. It seems to me this is a great way to help the motor tolerate higher boost without going to a FMIC, which is rather intrusive and irreversible to the factory setup. Several other members have reported a fairly wide range of success with this approach (some are using fmic as well, I’ll note). Any way you can squeeze more mixture into the cylinder w/o detonation will generally make more power. They also seem not too pricey and pretty simple to install. It would seem to pair well with other mods, to a point, the obvious one being aftermarket boost controls.
non-turbos (there is no good word for this; normally aspirated, atmos... they all sound awkward) , generally don’t benefit as much unless you physically change compression ratio, or possibly some cam grinds. But turbos have such an relatively easy time raising the effective net compression, so taming detonation becomes a constant search. I suggest trying octane boost additive first, since basically nothing is easier than that. If you like the results, then water injection should be similar and cheaper over time, as the additives are much cheaper.

I live in new England so I can't say its INSANE heat here but I'd like to run righter boost safer

Well where I live has one of the coolest summers in the lower 48, plus the elevation tends to reduce detonation. On the flip-side, they sell lower octane fuel because they can (elevation...), so I can never find anything above 91, and the other two grades are usually 87 and 85! Turbos are better at making up for the altitude, since they can keep the wastegate shut unit a certain absolute boost is reached. They do take longer to spool, however, as the lower revs are more like a non-turbo in operation. What really helps is access to what the knock sensor is reading, since that will affect the ecu output in a number of ways (timing, wastegate, fuel). If the water/meth injection keeps the knock sensor quiet, then the ecu should continue operating for higher power levels. Also I believe moist air is better at converting the heat of combustion into peak cylinder pressures, which translates into more torque, in comparison with dry air.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back