The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Water leak question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on here.
I believe my water pump is going out, but wanted to make sure before I invest in a new pump.

Basically, the car is leaking by the water pump (it's hard to tell exactly where) and it leaks a good bit (maybe a pint)
Whenever I stop, it drips fast till there is a large puddle.
The odd part about this, is that if i add coolant to where its full. It doesn't leak, at least for a few days.
I'm not sure why that is happening.

The pump is 4 years old. And not OEM.

I have moved, so I have limited tools, I also only have this car for the time being, and funds are tight.
If the pump needs to be replaced, I can do it, but it would have to be over the weekend.
The car is a stroker with no balance shafts, so it's possible something has shaken loose, but there is no way to tell until I take stuff apart.

Is this normal characteristics of a water pump going out?
Leaking out of the weep hole I believe?

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Can you see that it’s leaking from the weep hole? I’m pretty certain I could when this happened to me - and that was a non-OEM pump at 10k miles :|. The O-ring would be the other likely source from this area.

And, if not, I’m assuming you aren’t using or were able to verify it wasn’t coming from the oil cooler or its connections?

Hmmm, I'll try to see where its leak from better the bext time it starts, I do know ican see a little pool of coolant on the timing cover, right under the pulley area of the water pump, so that should mean its not the oil cooler, hopefully.

And yes, the o ring would be a nice easy fix, kind of haha.

I now wish it would leak so could try to find it better

Rent a coolant pressure tester from one of the auto parts stores & pressure test your cooling system.

Might be worth verifying that all the water pump bolts are tight. I had one bolt work loose and it leaked randomly, like before the system pressurized, and dripped down behind the timing belt cover and down the oil pan.

Hmmm, that would actually br great if that was the case.

Quick update, I got home from work and it's leaking again, which I'm kind of thankful for.
Is there only one weep hole? Because thought it was on the bottom, it's actually very visible and in plain sight.
I'll add pictures, but it is not leak from the weep hole

You can't see on camera very well, but right under the pump is very wet, and flowing water

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The bolt head that I've shown with a yellow/white arrow pointing at it - the thick greasy glop on it doesn't look like it's been disturbed by a wrench in a long time. So I question whether you've checked that one for tightness.
On a 1g, that bolt has a thick bar underneath it that is one of the alternator mounting parts, and you generally loosen it whenever you want to adjust the belt tension of the alternator belt.
When that bolt is a little loose, coolant leaks out!
On my 1g, it was one of my little surprises that you have this coolant leak while you are adjusting the alternator belt.
So anyway, maybe the last time your alternator belt was adjusted that bolt was never tightened to proper torque.

Hmmm, I haven't check any for tightness yet, but that one I should definitely go ahead and test, it's right there, and I don't even have to remove anything (that's a first hahaha)

Okay, I was able to get a wrench on it, it definitely wasn't loose, I turned it maybe an 8th of a turn.

And I am working on getting a second mode of transportation, just haven't been in the best financial situation for a while.

Before I moved I had access to a lot of things, a workshop and other vehicles if this one was having problems, so that was a fine situation.
But I had to move and now this is what I have to work with.

I'll probably take everything apart this weekend and see if it's an easy fix, or if I need a new pump, and if so, I'll do that next weekend

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back