The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Water in the transmission???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thakingcb7

Proven Member
Feb 8, 2015
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
Few months back in had to replace my transmission and transfer case. The units I got were from a friend who stored them inside a clean/dry area. Today my brother popped my passenger side cv out and it immediately started gushing a wonderful water/synchromesh mixture. I'm estimating roughly a quart and a half of said mixture. We pulled the drain plug and probably another quart and a half more came out. When we installed the new parts everything was clean and dry and topped off with the proper amounts of required fluids. About 2 months ago we even double checked to make sure the fluids were still full and everything checked out.

So my question is... how exactly could my transmission mysteriously become over filled with water? There are no leaks visible anywhere near the transmission. Only thing not present is the plate that bolts between the transmission and the oil pan (flywheel cover?) But I don't recall driving in enough rain to justify the amount of water inside. Even more baffling is... how did the water get in there but none came out???

Even if water got in through the inspection plate it would not make it into the transmission. Does your transmission still have the breather? it sits on the top of the transmission near the passenger axle. if it is missing there will be a small whole that may allow water in.

What im getting at is maybe the water was already in there. How much oil did you add and how did you add it?
What exactly was your fill procedure?

Car was on jack stands because we just finished the install. Sitting about as flat as possible. Pulled fill plug... attached hose to the cap... and filled til it dripped out of the hole. Roughly 2 1/2 quarts.

This is all reason why we're both completely screwed in the head over this. There has never been a time that water has had any possible way of getting in. The little bit of rain I encountered while driving wasn't nearly enough to justify the amount of water that got in there.

Have you sprayed in the engine bay with a pressure washer quite a bit? It would bizarre for any water to find its way in there without a direct source no coolant leak I know of could leak it's way into the tranny.

No pressure washing or anything... not even a spill. I wish we could have got a pan under it fast enough to figure out a better volume of fluid that came out. Best I can do though is to repeat that as soon as he pulled the axle... it gushed.

Been getting some strange occurrences with my 1990 Turbo Laser with the F5M33 transmission:

I'm getting water inside the gear train.

My experiences is notch and hard shifting, but thank goodness, no grinds. Syncs are still good.

All began 2 years ago with the same symptoms and thought it was clutch. Did the adjustments, which did help since I recently replaced both slave and master cylinder.

Thus, rolled the vehicle on ramps, pulled the fill plug, put a soda straw in the hole and pulled out milky fluid.

Took the thing to a quick lube place where they drained, flushed the casing and filled with MT90...and all was good since.

Now, two years later, same thing happened from the same symptoms and had the same service done.

Now, is there a breather that is pulling in moisture that I'm missing, or something else?

Yet, wonder on the condition is that this tranny has never been pulled, along with having 210k miles on it, is an overhaul needed?

Thx Always .. DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back