The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Water in Spark Plug Wells - Stock 4G63 Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrmbrembo14

Probationary Member
Sep 19, 2020
Chardon, Ohio
Hi all. This my first post on DSMtuners. I recently picked up a 1990 Talon TSi AWD. The car is in pretty good condition but needs some refurbishing. I recently drove it home from the shop where they did the steering rack and front control arms. The drive was about 1/2 hour (18 miles) or so and the last mile or so I noticed hesitation and running rough in the mid RPMs. I got home and shut the car down and did not see any issues. I finally had time today to dig into it and found that it still seemed to run rough/have a misfire when I was moving it. I found milky white "water" in the spark plug well of cylinder 4. Also, the plug wire boot had rust residue on it.

The other spark plug wells look fine (see third pic for cylinder 3).

Long story short, has anyone run into this? I have tried to search with little luck.
Here is the plan of attack so far:
1. Drain oil and look for coolant
2. Compression test on all cylinders
If no coolant is found in the oil I plan on vacuuming out the water, soaking up the remainder and changing the plugs and wires and seeing what happens.

Any input would be amazing!

Attachments

• 20200919_191725.jpg
    20200919_191725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20200919_191749.jpg
    20200919_191749.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200919_191729.jpg
    20200919_191729.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks everyone! Going to tackle it Thursday evening when the plugs and wires come in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back