1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Water in Spark Plug Wells - Stock 4G63 Turbo

Posted by rrmbrembo14, Sep 19, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. rrmbrembo14

rrmbrembo14 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 19, 2020
    Chardon, Ohio
    Hi all. This my first post on DSMtuners. I recently picked up a 1990 Talon TSi AWD. The car is in pretty good condition but needs some refurbishing. I recently drove it home from the shop where they did the steering rack and front control arms. The drive was about 1/2 hour (18 miles) or so and the last mile or so I noticed hesitation and running rough in the mid RPMs. I got home and shut the car down and did not see any issues. I finally had time today to dig into it and found that it still seemed to run rough/have a misfire when I was moving it. I found milky white "water" in the spark plug well of cylinder 4. Also, the plug wire boot had rust residue on it.

The other spark plug wells look fine (see third pic for cylinder 3).

Long story short, has anyone run into this? I have tried to search with little luck.
    Here is the plan of attack so far:
    1. Drain oil and look for coolant
    2. Compression test on all cylinders
    If no coolant is found in the oil I plan on vacuuming out the water, soaking up the remainder and changing the plugs and wires and seeing what happens.

Any input would be amazing!

Attached Files:

2. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Remove it and see if it comes back. Based on the rust it has sat in there for a while. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace those plug wires either, since they help keep stuff out as well.

Road Race Build 3K  10  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

32  6

1998 Ford Mustang GT
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles
    rrmbrembo14 likes this.
  3. Jk's97DSM

Jk's97DSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2006
    Norfolk, Virginia
    The shop probably sprayed water to clean up the mess that power steering fluid makes and got some water in the holes. If you haven’t done it yet, use and air hose and blow the tubes out and replace the spark plugs for good measure.

208  1

1990 Mitsubishi Mirage EXE (SLO CSM)
    manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 534  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  4. rrmbrembo14

rrmbrembo14 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 19, 2020
    Chardon, Ohio
    Thanks everyone! Going to tackle it Thursday evening when the plugs and wires come in.