The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

water heater?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDM95

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2007
amarillo, Texas
My gas water heater is leaking from the base, and I need to figure out how to shut off the water supply feeding water into it and turn the gas off to the heater, and possibly drain the tank itself just so it stops leaking untill i can have a qualified technician come out & look at it. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

There should be a water shutoff at the top of the waterheater... just follow the waterlines that go into the top . there should be two hoses... one that feeds the waterheater and the other that feeds the hot water to the house. also the gas line should be conected towards the bottom front, follow the hard pipe towards the wall and there should be a shutoff valve, turn it and the gas gets turned off hope this helps.

Thanks, So I see where to shut the gas off I think it was the gas it said on, piolet, off and I turn it to the off and then on top I see only one place to shut off the water so I turn that all the way. So now can I drain out the water and be safe? Can I just turn on the hot water and drain it out like that?

There should be a spigot on the side that you can drain it out of. Most homes also have a floor drain near the water heater.

If it's leaking then its most likely that your tank has rusted out and the only thing you can do is replace the heater. This happened to me a few years back.

That should have turned off the water heater using the gas but there should also be a valve on the gas line that shuts off the feed to the heater. Shutting that off then allows you to disconnect the gas line from the heater when it's being replaced.

so the gas is shut off to the water heater just don't disconnect the gas line from the heater?
I now need to drain out the water because it's leaking. So now can I drain out all the water from the heater and be safe?

whoops my bad, I thought he said somewhere in there he was trying to drain the system as well, and kinda brought myself to thinking of a waterlogged expansion tank.

After re-reading I see he doesnt have that problem LOL

It probably isn't draining just because the drain spigot is clogged. You might be able to clear the spigot w/ a piece of wire or something. It will be clogged with calcium, rust or whatever the sediment of choice is in your local water.
Put a small bucket under the spiggot and open it all the way. Then start poking in it with a stiff wire untill you get some flow, then hook up your hose. But also do as Steve said; you have to open a "hot" valve on at least one sink in the system while your trying to drain it to allow air in to displace the water.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back