The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

warped Cylinder Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whe3ls

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2008
spokane, Washington
i have a 4g Cylinder Head that is warped, i believe its warped .06 on cylinder 3 and .04 on cylinder 4. i was wondering the process on how to fix something like this..

The easiest way, to fix this is to take the head off, and take it to a machine shop. Let them inspect it, and tell you how much material can be taken off. Only a machinist with the appropiate equipment can fix the problem. Good luck. :thumb:

its been taken to a machine shop they told me that is was warped and wrote on it where and by how much. i was wondering how they would make them straight again. i know it was more than i wanted to pay, and i had another head that was in better shape.

It may be more than getting another head to get that one fixed. The machine shop i use rebores the cam journals on an overhead cam engine that is warped when they mill it. The reason is that when the head is warped it flattens out when you torque it down, and the cam journals line back up. When you mill it flat the cam journals stay in the warped alignment when torqued down. Remember the whole head warps, not just the bottom.

It may be more than getting another head to get that one fixed. The machine shop i use rebores the cam journals on an overhead cam engine that is warped when they mill it. The reason is that when the head is warped it flattens out when you torque it down, and the cam journals line back up. When you mill it flat the cam journals stay in the warped alignment when torqued down. Remember the whole head warps, not just the bottom.

this is true, but it depends on the amount of warp across the bottom, most of the time, with .010-.012 warp across the bottom, the cam towers will be be fine, more than that and the head needs to be strighten.

The head gets bolted to a jig, with the ends shimmed higher, then the head is slowly heated, and slowly cooled, to reverse warp the head, normally you look to get the warp down to .003-.005 warp

this is how I mill a head...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...face-4g63t-cylinder-head-mls-head-gasket.html

heres a vid of the process too....
YouTube - Resurfacing an Aluminum Cylinder Head

i have a 4g Cylinder Head that is wrapped, i believe its wrapped .06 on cylinder 3 and .04 on cylinder 4. i was wondering the process on how to fix something like this..

You'll have to wait 'till Christmas to find out.

Attachments

• stockvault_2866_20070301.jpg
    stockvault_2866_20070301.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 547
so what have you decided to do?

no guess about it, with the valves bent that bad, the guides are busted...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341218-how-change-valve-guides-4g63t-head.html

and if you are just swapping valves from the warped head into the one with bent valves, at least take the valves to a machine shop and have then refaced, then lap them in.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/341636-how-lap-valve.html

the seat face should look like this...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341288-why-have-your-valves-back-cut.html

all the machine work has been done. new intake side valve guides, they were all cracked. the valve where ground. seats re cut, and the head resurfaced, and new stem seals.

how did they surface the head? how did they cut the seats? what equipment was used?

it was resurfaced with a machine like in the vid. unsure about the seats

the first machine? or the 2nd one?

the second one

you should be good to go then.

yep. now, i just need to get rid of my newest paper weight

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back