The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Wanting to build my car into a Mustang Killer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chase_Smith40

Proven Member
Jun 7, 2013
Tecumseh, Michigan
I have a 1990 Laser RS FWD. Right now i have a 20g turbo and hotter burning plugs and i have done some of the tricks with cutting a hole in the airbox to get more air and the blow off sound. i have a programmable ecu put in and a stage 3 clutch. and a decent exhaust system. i want to take it back to butt stock so it looks just like it did off the showroom floor on the exterior but i want the interior and the power train to be extremely modified. i want to make it somewhere around a 12 second car. what are some things i should for sure do right away? Gm MAF, FMIC (front mount intercooler), new BOV, 3' exhaust, instead of a ebay special like a holset 20g or 16g?, DSM link or get it tuned? tell me what you suggest and what you think of my idea.

What kind of programmable ECU do you have. What brand 20g? Sounds like you have a good base, and a good idea of where you need to go. Bigger injectors should be on your list as well. You could do what your looking to do on the GM MAFT.

Also you will want to make sure all maintenance is done on the car, ie timing belt. First get the car running great, then you can make it what you want. Do lots of reading!

1990 Eclipse Talon Laser 4g63 DSM Engine Control Unit Module EPROM ECU ECM PCM, its a GodSpeed super 20g td06 turbo 1G 2G DSM ECLIPSE 4g63 gsx gst (BOLT-ON) 430hp+, yeah i forgot to add bigger injectors to the list.

You want to run a bigger turbo or even more boost on a stock turbo you're going to need to upgrade your fuel system.

What do you have for a fuel pump? Injectors? Regulator?

An E16G or an FP68HTA will be more than adequate to get you into the 12's. A 14b will get you there too, but it will take more work than it's worth in your case.

If you want the car to seem stock but perform well, get a 3" turboback exhaust with a resonator or two and a stock-appearing muffler.

You're probably going to want to run a FMIC - what fuel are you using? Regular pump gas or E85?

A 1G BOV is more than adequate for your needs.

There's a lot more but that touches on some of the basic as per your question.

What 'programmable computer' do you have?

I use DSMLink as do most others on this forum, but there are many other options out there. Link is definitely the most user friendly, though, and has the most support.

i have megan racing shocks and springs so it definitely has a stance and holds the road amazing i have slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads. i want to do the stealth or 3000gt dual piston caliper upgrade but you need bigger rims and i want to buy the stock aluminum rims for it so i am in a pickle.

You should be able to beat most mustangs on the street with that setup. Most mustangs break LOL. Just make sure you tune your car good and alot of mustangs will really just spin tires on the street.

yeah i mean i havent had many issues beating them except right now my transmission is fried so i am off the road and it is killing me. i dont really have the money to afford a dsmlink and i am not 100% my ecu i bought can be used for it. if so where is there somewhere close that tunes dsm and has a dsmlink?

Right now i have a 20g turbo and hotter burning plugs.

Just taking this from your first post... You don't want to run a hotter plug. :nono: The car came stock with NGK BPR6ES plugs. If anything you want to go to a colder plug which would be a BPR7ES NGK plug. ;) It seems you have quite a bit to learn yet, so reading as much as you can here would be your best bet.

Here's a great place to start...
DSM 4G63 Maintenance Guide - DSMtuners

Tech Guide: 1G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

Good luck! :thumb:

I do not think that your ECM is programmable with ECMlink installed.

I don't think anybody has mentioned you will need a bigger fuel pump aswell but the point I want to make is your going to have to get drag slicks for the front if you want the FWD to run 12s.

As far as beating mustangs.... Well tires or not that shouldn't be a problem :D

I don't know about Mustangs, but a DSM is definitely a patience killer. First thing, before all else, understand that these are OLD cars. You will be doing a lot of maintenance and restoration on parts and systems that have nothing to do with your goal of going fast. Do some reading in this section - much of it was written long ago but the basic concepts are still pretty relevant:
Tech Guide - DSMtuners

Those pages were built to answer generic build questions like this that have popped up every day for the last decade or more.

W a fwd you wont beat any stang off the line w street tires and an open diff. Ive tried LOL. What it WILL do is reel them in like no other and you will take em in the 1/4. A LSD will help even more w launch. Ive had some kid in a new stang recently ask me to "run it". I told him i didnt want to launch and asked him if hes ok with a 20mph roll on to 100. He jumped 2 car lengths and by 100 i had him by 15 lengths... And i was spinning half way thru 3rd.

You really need a tuning setup. Thats a big one. Save for link and some sticky street tires up front. Rears obv dont matter for you. Your godspeed20g is shit but it should beat any mustang with the right tuning solution.

Perhaps reconsider your platform. The FWD's are great from a roll, but the AWD is better from a launch. Sure you can put in the LSD, but it's spendy. If you want to build to more power than your goals are now traction will be an issue with FWD even from a roll.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back