The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Walbro 190 pump install question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road-Rocket

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2003
Escondido, California
Today I tried to install my new pump following the steps in the vfaq. When I got to the part where you're supposed to go underneath the car and disconnect the fuel hose by using a 19mm and 14mm flare wrenches, I couldn't remove it. Before I got started, I put my car on the ramps, and unfortunately they didn't lift the car high enough to where I can position myself properly underneath the car to get a good grip on the wrenches. Contrary to what the vfaq says, I decided to try to disconnect the fuel line from the top of the pump assembly. The fitting came loose easily and nothing broke, but when I tried turning the fitting to get it out, the rubber hose kept turning with the fitting and eventually started to twist before I could get it all out. I decided to put it back in since I was afraid something was going to break and decided to put everything back in place and pack up.

Out of curiosity, I decided to call a local shop to see how much it would cost to get it installed, and the dude told me it would take 2 hours to install with a total of $200.00 in labor cost. #### that.

Did you guys have any problems removing that line? Is the rubber hose supposed to turn along with the fitting? Any suggestions on how to get it out will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I didn't use any pb blaster since I didn't have any. I'm going to buy a can and try again.

i cut the bottom of the seat right next to the FP assembly about 2 inches and the whole thing came out with out ne breaking and i installed my new 190 very easily and put it back in, hammered the piece i cut back in and used a lil bondo....not a big deal to me since no one will ever see it and it does not rip my seat....just a suggestion

I did the same thing, except I couldn't disconnect the line from the pump assembly nor from the bottom. Did you have any problems disconnecting that line, or did you just lift the assembly without disconnecting the hose?

i did not disconnect any fuel lines, i tried but it started to twist so i just cut the back seat till i could pull it out without hurting any thing...it was rather easy and i have had no problems with leaking, the pump or idle :thumb:

Thanks for the input. I will cut some more of the metal tomorrow and give it another try. I know replacing the pump is the easy part. Taking it out is a bit more tricky.

If you don't want to cut any metal then you have to disconnect the hard line from the rubber line underneath the car. Once disconnected, you can then lossen the connection to the pump assembly and then turn the whole rubber hose (completely disconnected from the hard line now) counterclockwise in order to remove the rubber line from the assembly. It's sounds a little confusing but once you've done it you'll see what I mean. Goodluck! :thumb:

Thanks for the advice. I already cut some metal. Tomorrow I'm going to cut some more and try to get it out without disconnecting the feed line. If that doesn't work, I'll try to remove the line from below and see how that goes. Thanks again.

this is the easiest way to do it. loosen both the top and the bottom fittings with 19mm and 14mm wrenches . with a razor from the bottom of the car cut the rubber hose in half. unscrew both the bottom and top of the hose ( at this point they come out easy). at auto zone/ pep boys / lappens etc. they sell a 3/8 double open ended barb fitting. ( used to repair compressor hoses). slide one side of the fitting into the rubber hose tightly first ( I preffer the bottom side) remember to tighten with small hose clamps, connect to the bottom of the car. now screw in the top from inside the car. Finally go underneath the car again, connect the top of the rubber hose to the bottom rubber hose via the fiitting. remember to tighten down with small hose clamps and walla done. Turn on the car to check for gas leaks. I have been driving around for about 2 weeks like this and I have had no leaks. This way you dont have to cut up your car.

Road-Rocket said:
Today I tried to install my new pump following the steps in the vfaq. When I got to the part where you're supposed to go underneath the car and disconnect the fuel hose by using a 19mm and 14mm flare wrenches, I couldn't remove it. Before I got started, I put my car on the ramps, and unfortunately they didn't lift the car high enough to where I can position myself properly underneath the car to get a good grip on the wrenches. Contrary to what the vfaq says, I decided to try to disconnect the fuel line from the top of the pump assembly. The fitting came loose easily and nothing broke, but when I tried turning the fitting to get it out, the rubber hose kept turning with the fitting and eventually started to twist before I could get it all out. I decided to put it back in since I was afraid something was going to break and decided to put everything back in place and pack up.

Out of curiosity, I decided to call a local shop to see how much it would cost to get it installed, and the dude told me it would take 2 hours to install with a total of $200.00 in labor cost. #### that.

Did you guys have any problems removing that line? Is the rubber hose supposed to turn along with the fitting? Any suggestions on how to get it out will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I didn't use any pb blaster since I didn't have any. I'm going to buy a can and try again.

I did the same as you, started with the top fitting (at the sender unit side) & was able to crack it loose. But then ran into the same problem, you can't remove the hose completely because the fitting is solid on the hose & twists the hose up too much before you can unscrew it all the way. So then I went under the car, I was able to loosen this fitting as well, but it was super tight & I really had to pull on it to break it loose. Its a flare fittings so once you crack it it's no problem. This end also has a swival fitting. I would say jack the car up differently so you can get in at a better angle & give it another try. If you crack both ends then you don't have to cut any metal. It also helps if you are using good quality wreches, I was able to use snap-on.

The best way to get the pump out is to disconnect both ends of the hose so you don't have to cut the sheet metal or twist the hose into knots. Even using flare fitting wrenches I had trouble with the top fitting of the fuel pump hose. I could see that the fitting was going to round off if I applied any more torque. I was able to get a vise-grip on the outside of the flare fitting wrench so the wrench opening couldn't flex. This allowed me to apply enough torque to crack it without rounding and the torque required was considerable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back