The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your addiction to cars gets another level deeper. Nice machine.
Who got the red car? What is that; DeSoto?

Yeah, and I am finding I will need much deeper pockets too when it comes to the evo haha. Everything is triple the cost LOL. As far as the red car, I have no idea who the owner is LOL. It was on the truck when it was loaded and also when the evo was dropped off, so has to be someone between Denver and somewhere in California. Little old school for my taste but I absolutely respect it.

Well, officially passed a huge step in the rebuild. Things are going back ON the car, no more removal LOL. Brake lines got tacked up for length and then got exact lengths done yesterday. Also finally got the tank mounted and the shield on. I freaking LOVE the splatter wrinkle black. It looks soooo good.

1684258126220.jpeg

1684258093921.jpeg

Final on brake lines and also put new ebrake cables in since it’s tucked up in there once the tank is on.

1684258189465.jpeg

1684258214523.jpeg

Well, the oem fuel filler neck hose split ever so slightly when I was putting in on so, not wanting the headache later if it splits more and eventually leaks. SO, went with the recommended direct replacement from a write up on there… and it’s REALLY close, but I had to cut off about an inch to make it work really well. Make sure the cut is on the smaller diameter side so the back side into the tank still fits really well.

Also, through the process of blasting and powder coat, somehow the tip over valve came up missing on the filler neck, so ordered the smallest one available on tanksinc and shoved it inside the filler hose so it butts up against the filler neck. So tank is officially mounted and done! Just need the cover back from second round of powder coat and it’s completely done.

1684878082844.jpeg

1684878108113.jpeg

That looks nice. Which boots did you use if you don't mind me asking?
I never mind any questions ever dude. Will help any way I can always. I got the boots directly from Paul and Volk. All his arms list a recommended boot size for the rod ends and I just ordered them accordingly on the site as well. You will need the rod end tool to get the boots over the eyelet and then the machined spacers.

I never mind any questions ever dude. Will help any way I can always. I got the boots directly from Paul and Volk. All his arms list a recommended boot size for the rod ends and I just ordered them accordingly on the site as well. You will need the rod end tool to get the boots over the eyelet and then the machined spacers.
Cool. Thanks. I will have to look into it.

A tool for dust covers? Just use non gripping pliers and they pull right over, you can also put them in warm water to help make them softer but they go on a breeze. I put the rod end in on the side hole and pull it over the rodend. I never go in from the bottom

Good job on not tearing any also. Thats the worst thing when you close and then it tears on you at the last bit

A tool for dust covers? Just use non gripping pliers and they pull right over, you can also put them in warm water to help make them softer but they go on a breeze. I put the rod end in on the side hole and pull it over the rodend. I never go in from the bottom

Bobby that's exactly what I tried for about 30mins and finally said screw it. Bought the $12 tool and it made it a complete breeze. The time and simple risk of tearing a boot makes the tool investment worth every penny! Sometimes struggling at the sake of a cheap tool that is made specifically for the job is just not worth it haha. As you can see in the photo I even bought extra boots in case I tore one (thinking I would for sure anyway) and now I just have extra for later. So worth it.

Bobby that's exactly what I tried for about 30mins and finally said screw it. Bought the $12 tool and it made it a complete breeze. The time and simple risk of tearing a boot makes the tool investment worth every penny! Sometimes struggling at the sake of a cheap tool that is made specifically for the job is just not worth it haha. As you can see in the photo I even bought extra boots in case I tore one (thinking I would for sure anyway) and now I just have extra for later. So worth it.
When i first started using covers it was a learning curve to get them on well. I tried many pliers and ways to do it. Baffled me a few times and many rips later i figured rubber loved warmth so thats when i got that method and its a great one. I now use my wifes art tweezer type pliers as they are grippy enough to not tear even when not warmed up which is cool and now my tool LOL

Finally tackled the last bit of metal working that I think I will be doing personally. The front right radiator support has a little bit of a dent in it and I have been avoiding it LOL. So finally pulled everything back out and next will be a very small amount of body filler. Next week should def be time for paint!

1685669321094.jpeg

Before..
1685669244586.jpeg

After..
1685669277522.jpeg

Prepping for paint!

1685669354191.jpeg

Well everyone.. I finally sucked it, had three days off without the wife at home, and avoided painting the bay long enough. So here is part of the process and let me be first to say… if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t. Sure I learned a new skill and I can say when I open the hood I did everything myself.. but the hassle and cost of doing this was almost unbearable. Hours and hours and hours of prep/sand/sand more/clean/treat rust/sand/sand more/seam sealer/seam spray/sand. And that’s just to get to start seriously prepping to begin to paint. AND not to mention, this is my first time EVER spraying before, ever. So of course it’s not perfect because by butt decided to hit some spots and one tiny weeny run.

BUT! It’s done!! One step closer to shootout.. huge photo dump coming and I want to try and be as clear and open about the process I used as I can. Also HUGE and I mean absolutely gigantic shoutout to @PLDSM for putting up with my annoying texts and calls and calming me when I was panicking LOL. Most solid dude ever.

Ok so here is some sketchy shit first..

I has to rotate the body around to be able to spray the right away so here is the process LOL. It worked and no issues but it was slow and had to have help to make sure it didn’t drop.

1686262799363.jpeg

1686262819207.jpeg

So now begins the prep work. First I went back over everything with a green scotch brite and then again with the red scotch brite. Cleaned and cleaned again, then started taping and masking everything off. Also had to make the filter/fans to pull everything out.

1686263710384.jpeg

1686263739040.jpeg

1686263762394.jpeg

Also almost forgot, for people that find this and are thinking of doing it themselves, DRAIN YOUR COMPRESSOR. I would have not done this if it had not been for Raf and here is what came out. That is the shit that could end up in your paint!

1686263855576.jpeg

After the drips stopped I still took a shop vac and left it on to evac the tank of anything else.

Yah dude I feel your pain with the prep. Still working on getting to the point where I say good enough to paint, working on 80 hours between undercarriage and engine bay.

I had sorta the same idea in mind with the garage door and filters and fans. We’ll see what I wind up with, glad to see it implemented LOL.

As far as the compressor goes I wasn’t taking the chance with moisture and rust especially here in humid Florida. My tank is coated so no rust comes out just clear water. (Leave tank drain open when not in use will minimize rust water build up). I finally ran an air management system throughout the garage and got a CFS filter system from Eastwood. (Very economical compared to others). They have a special filter you change out when it’s time to spray paints. Well worth the money!

Looking forward to the photo dump! And ya those Jack stands are a little sketch ;)

Last edited:
So now begins the prep work. First I went back over everything with a green scotch brite and then again with the red scotch brite. Cleaned and cleaned again, then started taping and masking everything off. Also had to make the filter/fans to pull everything out.

View attachment 698299

View attachment 698300

View attachment 698301

Also almost forgot, for people that find this and are thinking of doing it themselves, DRAIN YOUR COMPRESSOR. I would have not done this if it had not been for Raf and here is what came out. That is the shit that could end up in your paint!

View attachment 698302

After the drips stopped I still took a shop vac and left it on to evac the tank of anything else.
Dude, you're an absolute savage! Hats off to you for diving in, learning, and taking it to the extreme lengths you have. It's funny how when you're that invested and see every little imperfection, no one else will ever notice, but it still bugs you, I understand. Haha.
This forum, more importantly, the kick ass people/enthusiasts here are fkn legends, too!

Keep on trucking, man!

Yah dude I feel your pain with the prep. Still working on getting to the point where I say good enough to paint, working on 80 hours between undercarriage and engine bay.

I had sorta the same idea in mind with the garage door and filters and fans. We’ll see what I wind up with, glad to see it implemented LOL.

As far as the compressor goes I wasn’t taking the chance with moisture and rust especially here in humid Florida. My tank is coated so no rust comes out just clear water. (Leave tank drain open when not in use will minimize rust water build up). I finally ran an air management system throughout the garage and got a CFS filter system from Eastwood. (Very economical compared to others). They have a special filter you change out when it’s time to spray paints. Well worth the money!

Looking forward to the photo dump! And ya those Jack stands are a little sketch ;)
That is a really good idea to just leave it open when not in use. I think I will be implementing it into my every day use now and not just when painting. IF I even paint more haha. Little secret though is that I do plan to paint the floors inside hahah. Had paint left over and been bugging me so just going to do it haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back