The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hahaha did the same thing couple years ago with my first build!

View attachment 689319

Few things missing but that’s the majority of it.
I’ll see about taking one this weekend. Lol
Any suggestions on getting the majority of crap out of the underneath “channels” on the 1g? What a b@$th! Would like to get most of the loose stuff off before the internal frame rail spraying. Need like a small 360 wire device on the end of a flexible extension that hooks up to drill or something.

I’ll see about taking one this weekend. Lol
Any suggestions on getting the majority of crap out of the underneath “channels” on the 1g? What a b@$th! Would like to get most of the loose stuff off before the internal frame rail spraying. Need like a small 360 wire device on the end of a flexible extension that hooks up to drill or something.

Sure do LOL! I used different types of "shotgun" brushes. Got someone in steel brush type and some plastics as well. Using small ones is also how I clean up bolt holes and other holes on the bottom before spraying too. If you use them in a drill though you pretty much only get one good use out of them before the bristles bend over. Works best just done by hand.

Sure do LOL! I used different types of "shotgun" brushes. Got someone in steel brush type and some plastics as well. Using small ones is also how I clean up bolt holes and other holes on the bottom before spraying too. If you use them in a drill though you pretty much only get one good use out of them before the bristles bend over. Works best just done by hand.
I already tried some round wire brushes with long handles in assorted diameters but didn’t work great. Have to go through these small holes in the bottom of the channel and basically turn 90 degrees immediately then down the channel. Gonna try some flexible extensions for the bore brushes, time to buy more stuff.

Got some more bore brushes and such coming but this is the majority of what I’m working with so far..
9DC2F04E-C838-49F0-8C29-82D685AEDCCE.jpeg

Prob not. Lol. Not trying to highjack thread, was responding to his pic of the same.

Hahaha I have learned you can never have too many!!! I wish I had kept track on the cost of just materials spent on the restoration. I bet it’s a lot LOL. I forgot to say, the nylon brushes hood up a small bit better on electric tools btw!

Huge update!

So I began working on the front and the engine bay seams, aaaaaand found some problems. Didn’t get as lucky in the front as I did in the back. Starting stripping everything and noticed little brown spots peaking out from the seams. Further I dug, the worse certain spots got of course. So then started the really long process of treating and digging out all the rust and junk and killing all of it. Here are the results and still a lot to do, BUT rust is eradicated! Enjoy the huge photo dump!

Before…

1679962060397.jpeg

1679962087019.jpeg

Wire wheel as much and far as I can..

1679962155133.jpeg

Had to break out the manual hand tools in tight spaces..

1679962221195.jpeg

1679962277902.jpeg

Dug into the inside seams and found a really bad spot…

1679962348952.jpeg

1679962330672.jpeg

1679962370902.jpeg

Chemical warfare…

1679962412891.jpeg

1679962442481.jpeg

More to come and results!

Huge update!

So I began working on the front and the engine bay seams, aaaaaand found some problems. Didn’t get as lucky in the front as I did in the back. Starting stripping everything and noticed little brown spots peaking out from the seams. Further I dug, the worse certain spots got of course. So then started the really long process of treating and digging out all the rust and junk and killing all of it. Here are the results and still a lot to do, BUT rust is eradicated! Enjoy the huge photo dump!

Before…

View attachment 690994

View attachment 690995

Wire wheel as much and far as I can..

View attachment 690996

Had to break out the manual hand tools in tight spaces..

View attachment 690997

View attachment 690998

Dug into the inside seams and found a really bad spot…

View attachment 691000

View attachment 690999

View attachment 691001

Chemical warfare…

View attachment 691002

View attachment 691003

More to come and results!
Really like the effort. Gives me hope for the future.

Alright, so I switched back over the the por15 metal treatment and I liked it way better than the Krud Kutter gel rust treatment. The gel stayed in place better but it did not work nearly as well as the por15. Just keep the metal wet and it works sooooo much better.

1680209170942.jpeg

Rust is completely gone and seam is clean. Sprayed the seam and then seam sealer!

Pre-spray and sealer…

1680209242908.jpeg

1680209267425.jpeg

1680209287903.jpeg

Seals sprayed and sealed now. Sealer takes 96hrs to fully cure. Then can move on to the next of 382742 steps I use.

1680209369136.jpeg

Hoping for shootout this year!

Wow man I just want to reiterate what has already been said...The dedication, skill, and hard work you've put into this so far is inspiring.

What pre-spray and sealer are you using before the seam sealer? Looking good!

So I spray the rustoleum rust convertor directly on the bare metal of the seams. All and every seam that I can clean up and get that far. After that fully cures, I put a bead of the por15 seam sealer down over every seam as well. The stuff takes FOREVER to fully cure, but when it does it is rock solid man. I can't see anything getting through after this stuff has dried. Hope this helps man.

Late submission but finally got the wheel wells finished. I have to say, it’s waaaaaay more of a pain in the ass than I remember from the first time I did it. I think it’s because the first time I broke it up into two different sessions. This time I did all 4 at the same time so it took forrrreeeevvveeerrr. Not to mention it’s messy and you HAVE to wear a respirator of course. BUT, it’s done and one more chunk of restoration knocked off the list. Results are phenomenal and no way any moisture is getting through this stuff.. ever.

1682021558396.jpeg

1682021587318.jpeg

1682021604502.jpeg

And top-coated with rubber undercoating.

1682021645234.jpeg

What’s the white just a primer?
Yup, that is exactly right! I use a self-etching primer to help aid the por15 in bonding to the wheel wells. Then I spray the rubber coating over the por15 to help with sound deadening and also to keep the por15 protected since it is not UV resistant and will break down if exposed to sunlight.

So it's (1) self-etching primer, then (2) Por15, then (3) rubber coating? I thought that Por15 did some metal-magic on its own, doesn't the primer interfere with that? (Sorry, I'm a noob and just learning about all this stuff.)

Your car is going to be better-than-new! Inspirational.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back