The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yikes! looks a little precarious with the car resting on jackstands resting on dollies....
Looks like a lot of work to strip off all that stuff.
yeah it def is a little precarious for sure, BUT they are level and I tacked them stands on the dollies. It works too for moving it around the garage and freeing up space. Learned last time that it SUCKS when you get it up on the stands and where it is is where it stays. With winter around the corner I would like the have another car in the garage and not have my girl complain about the eclipse always being in the way hahaha.

As for as stripping the car, it’s not too bad actually. Hard part is remembering where everything goes when you start to put it back together hahaha. That’s why I am super detailed about pictures and hardware.

Yikes! looks a little precarious with the car resting on jackstands resting on dollies....
Looks like a lot of work to strip off all that stuff.
While wrestling the drive line back into place - you hear the jack stands creak:
My_Time_Has_Come.jpg

Last edited:
Made it back safe and sound from shootout.. unloaded all the parts I got and feel so lucky to have such good friends and supporters of my build. Simply can’t thank @PLDSM and others enough for their help and friendship.

List includes black door panels and rear seats, full sunroof assembly, nib headlights, year correct hatch cover, oem rear bumper, and most importantly… a built split thrust block that I can’t wait to tear down and rebuild even stronger.

1665100336607.jpeg

Next weekend I hope to start the very long and tedious process of restoring the body to better than oem. More to come soon.

While wrestling the drive line back into place - you hear the jack stands creak:
View attachment 674647

No way, this is only to get the body work on the bottom and wheel wells done and then it’s back to normal setup! While under it I am also setting up temp stands for “just in case” scenario. I chose life LOL.

No way, this is only to get the body work on the bottom and wheel wells done and then it’s back to normal setup! While under it I am also setting up temp stands for “just in case” scenario. I chose life LOL.
When I showed my father what I was doing years ago he insisted I made “just in cases”. Probably smart. I made solid blocks of glued and nailed together plywood to put underneath for the sketchy stuff to keep people’s anxiety at a minimum. Lol

Well, got a little strip happy and went a little further than I thought I would, BUT now I have access to every little thing. Although this thing is super clean to begin with, now it will be spotless. It’s funny how little time it can take to get the car all the way down to the shell. Just hope I can remember where everything goes back LOL…..

I am also not done yet either.. still have to pull the hatch and doors so that’s something to do later.

1665616760831.jpeg

1665616789304.jpeg

1665616804593.jpeg

Finally got around the taking all the pedal assemblies apart and getting them ready for powder coat. Really not a hard process at all, just bag everything up that does not go to the shop and label it.

1666903292742.jpeg

Also doing some body work getting things sorted out… the drivers radiator support was crunched pretty bad so got it back out as best I can without grafting in another support. Also started on grafting in the missing passenger side upper support that had been cut out for a super short route.

1666903419324.jpeg

1666903567841.jpeg

Having just had my clutch pedal assembly powdercoated, but absolutely sure to mark off areas that are tight tolerance / machined finish. I had to spend hours grinding away coating from areas to get the pedal back together because I didnt do a good job of indicating what not to coat.

Having just had my clutch pedal assembly powdercoated, but absolutely sure to mark off areas that are tight tolerance / machined finish. I had to spend hours grinding away coating from areas to get the pedal back together because I didnt do a good job of indicating what not to coat.
Oh absolutely. I learned that the hard way also on some parts for the last build. Anything that has bushings is always 100% covered and bolt holes plugged. Tedious for the coater but easy on assembly!

Made more progress with the nice weather.. pulled all the remaining wire harnesses and the hatch off the rear.

1668118740306.jpeg

Also finally got around to pulling the drip rails so I can have the inner race zinc plated. Have 9/10 replacement outer rails too for replacements.

1668118861013.jpeg

Next I started the very time consuming and tedious process of restoring the exterior like I did on the A52.. way more to come but this is as far as I got for now…

1668118919330.jpeg

Made more progress with the nice weather.. pulled all the remaining wire harnesses and the hatch off the rear.

View attachment 679643

Also finally got around to pulling the drip rails so I can have the inner race zinc plated. Have 9/10 replacement outer rails too for replacements.

View attachment 679644

Next I started the very time consuming and tedious process of restoring the exterior like I did on the A52.. way more to come but this is as far as I got for now…

View attachment 679645
Drip moulding, belt moulding, glass keepers etc. so hard to find.

Weather took a turn for the super cold last week so didn’t get much done on the car but this week warmed up so chipping away at the rear. Whole process just takes forever to be done right so being patient. Here is the progress so far. Next is new seam sealer and then self etching primer, then normal primer then rubber coating.. takes forreeevvveeer.

Bare metal, then metal prep solution, then seam primer for now.

1669238599535.jpeg

1669238616061.jpeg

1669238639723.jpeg

So after much deliberation I decided to veer into the race car mode with the build and break down all the harnesses and loom to eliminate plugs and un-needed stuff like abs. Started small with the rear routed harness and pulled the washer stuff, rear hatch stuff, abs and speaker wires out of the harness. Have it just tacked together with masking tape until I decide if I want to sleeve everything. Can’t decide LOL.

1670103155934.jpeg

1670103193531.jpeg

1670103247043.jpeg

1670103280383.jpeg

Little behind on the updates but did get the frame stripped and treated/new seam sealer put down finally. Also finished the wheel wells. Such a loooooong process and so much work but will be worth it in the long run. Found a few problem areas in two seals too that you would never know were even there until it was really bad. That’s exactly why I am doing what I am. Car can seems 100% and never know.

1672099770845.jpeg

1672099796527.jpeg

1672099818385.jpeg

Sucked it up again and made huge progress on the frame. This part I have been avoiding with a passion because of how nasty it is. Previous owner clearly has ripped boots and joints because there is grease slug everywhere. This section is by far the most nasty part and was reflected by all the gunk and stuff left on my back and tools LOL. Still a lot of work to be done but the hardest part is pretty much done. Pushing hard to get it ready for shootout 2023!

1673306596780.jpeg

1673306625437.jpeg

Also finishing up the custom harnesses for the car, will post later when it’s further along.

That's a head from a 2.4L. I would check the block as well. The whole thing might be a 2.4L. Looking into it a bit further because it confused me a bit. That's a 7 bolt head but that stamping screams 2.4L which was only available in DOHC, correct me if I'm wrong, on the Galant?

Edit. I think I'm wrong about it being a 2.4L. Further research leads me to believe this may be an EVO 1 head.
Oh, the dangers of buying a car with "complete motor" parts in the trunk! Happened to me, too.

Oh, the dangers of buying a car with "complete motor" parts in the trunk! Happened to me, too.

Hahaha no kidding. Luckily the “complete” drivetrain was a bonus since I truly wanted a clean shell. It will all be spares which is also good since everything is getting so damn hard to find now. Had like three intake manifold in it for some reason too LOL. Crazy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back