The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is that another 2g in the house behind you? Cool project also by the way. :)

Good eye dude. Was curious if anyone would spot it. It is a 99 Spyder GS-T that an older gentleman owns. He noticed my first GSX when I moved in and then of course now the second A87 and we were talking one day before he was about to start a bike ride. Apparently he is the original owner and it has 47k miles on it LOL. All original OEM of course. Maybe one day I will try to talk him into selling it to me haha.

What do the head intake runners look like?
And is the CAS end of the intake cam threaded?
Is there a place to bolt a 95-96 CAS under the intake CAM gear?

Ok so got a chance to look at the head a little more. Here is the cam side for the sensor and no there is not a way to mount a sensor on the cam gear side.

1660427329074.jpeg

Lol I know that. He asked if the cam side where the sensor mounts is threaded and I took a pic to show that no, it is not threaded. I also found there is no sensor mount on the gear side either.

View attachment 670375

Or is there?
Can't tell from that photo. The mounting points are behind the intake cam gear. Location circled. Are those 2 points drilled and tapped?

IMG_20220813_190514.jpg

Ok so got a chance to look at the head a little more. Here is the cam side for the sensor and no there is not a way to mount a sensor on the cam gear side.
OK - Cool - look where I have circled inside the end of the CAM - If it is a 2Gb cam it will have threads inside where a bolt goes to hold on the 2gB CAM angle sensor adapter. - No threads here means you have older CAMs, like 1G cams.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 6.12.05 PM.png

Last edited:
So I will start another post about this mystery head I got so we can all solve it but I kinda want to get back to the actual build. I have no intentions to even use the head but may keep it as a spare once we nail down exactly what the hell it is. But anyway, I finally got around to swapping the harnesses for the black dash going in and also took the time to detail the vents and stuff that is hard to clean once installed. To me this is what separates me from most all other builds. Detail and effort.

1660440402977.jpeg

1660440425166.jpeg

So I will start another post about this mystery head I got so we can all solve it but I kinda want to get back to the actual build. I have no intentions to even use the head but may keep it as a spare once we nail down exactly what the hell it is. But anyway, I finally got around to swapping the harnesses for the black dash going in and also took the time to detail the vents and stuff that is hard to clean once installed. To me this is what separates me from most all other builds. Detail and effort.

View attachment 670380

View attachment 670381
You're not messing around. 👍

I had planned on waiting until the build was MUCH further than it was for really large purchases but I couldn’t help snag this from a local dsm guy. It was on the build plan the entire time and now it’s a reality. So happy about it and it comes with the plexiglass!!

View attachment 670444
Lead time is very long for CF parts. Other things too, like side skirts and drip moldings. Its smart to keep an eye out for the really hard to locate items.

Well, can’t say that I am not putting some work in. After this weekend I know it would be a while before I had a chance to touch the A87 again so went ahead and hammered out some tough work today. Need access to the entire frame to restore it just like the previous A52 GSX so here is the biggest part, dropping the rear subframe. I was thinking, should I create a quick how-to on dropping it??? I remember having trouble finding info on it last time I googled it.

1660600803414.jpeg

1660600839025.jpeg

1660600867264.jpeg

Also, dust shields are in perfect condition!!!

1660600906170.jpeg

Well, can’t say that I am not putting some work in. After this weekend I know it would be a while before I had a chance to touch the A87 again so went ahead and hammered out some tough work today. Need access to the entire frame to restore it just like the previous A52 GSX so here is the biggest part, dropping the rear subframe. I was thinking, should I create a quick how-to on dropping it??? I remember having trouble finding info on it last time I googled it.

View attachment 670497

View attachment 670498
I've never seen a car on stands on rollers... I'm just sayin.

I've never seen a car on stands on rollers... I'm just sayin.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out! I got the idea when I was using an aircraft tool at work that is very similar. I remember from the first restoration that the biggest issue was once the car was up on jack stands that’s where it stayed and if I needed more garage space I was SOL hahaha. So I put it up on the casters with the stands on it and tested it for a couple of days. My garage floor is level and luckily there are no bad creases to worry about. I will still put a weld bead down on the stands though.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out! I got the idea when I was using an aircraft tool at work that is very similar. I remember from the first restoration that the biggest issue was once the car was up on jack stands that’s where it stayed and if I needed more garage space I was SOL hahaha. So I put it up on the casters with the stands on it and tested it for a couple of days. My garage floor is level and luckily there are no bad creases to worry about. I will still put a weld bead down on the stands though.
I started to do the same thing but didn’t trust the stability, that’s why I made mine the way I did.

Lowered and pulled the front subframe and broke everything down. Have a nice pile for the scrap bin now as well.

Anyone want to take bets on if the abs harnesses slide out or not hahaha? I have them soaking in kroil right now and a couple of them look OK, but two others looks rough as usual.

1660849560445.jpeg

1660849605149.jpeg

1660849625840.jpeg

1660849686088.jpeg

Well for those that were curious, the abs harnesses slid right out. No fighting or hammering at all. One little twist and popped right out. Says a lot, to me, about how rust free this shell is.

Also broke down the rear e-brake shields and getting everything ready for powder coat.

1662328170524.jpeg

Also, reason for the delay on an update is I finally caught the Rona. Evaded it for three years but it finally got me. Took me down pretty hard and slowly working back from it. But getting there.. more to come soon.

Get plenty of rest. The project can wait. The worst part for me was the loss of taste and smell which took forever to return.

Yeah I have found that I have ZERO stamina still and working in the garage is very tiring. I may have over exerted myself pulling the tank and everything as well but did get it done. I never lost taste or smell but I was vaccinated to maybe that is why. Getting better day by day though.

Ok, back at it!! Seem to be fully recovered and did A LOT of the A87 to get it ready for resto. Dropped all the fuel and brake lines since I am running new fuel lines and also need the full access.

1663610315500.jpeg

1663610382397.jpeg

Also has soooooooooo much fun pressing out bushings and helping another member gets theirs out too. Floor press has now paid for its self 10 fold with how much I have used it.

Organized chaos for sure..

1663610507099.jpeg

Well, definitely had some fun pushing out all the bushings in my build and @bettfootball as well. Some of it takes creative thinking to get them in the press and for others I had to use the all thread and sockets method. For the rear subframe bushings it took even more extreme work but got it done.

1664242235954.jpeg

1664242147470.jpeg

1664242287800.jpeg

Also broke down the drive shaft and got everything into storage. Last thing to do is pull the steering column and heater core box so the engine bay is completely bare.

1664242476358.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back